Kingdom of Ashes IC discussion (What if we held a war and *everybody* came?)

Laurel

First Post
Day T+1

L'Aurel searches him out around dusk one day. Entering the library quietly, not wishing to disturb anyone randomly, "Father?"

"Hm?" he replies, half-looking up over the book he has spread across his lap. His boots are crossed, propped up in a chair across from where the old man sits.

At his voice she quickly moves further into the room looking aorund at the shelves as if noticing them for the first time. A welcoming smile lights her face, "There you are. I was wondering if we could chat- if your not too busy that is?" Glancing at the book in his hands.

"Of course!" he intones. "I think I can spare a moment for you," he says, a small smile on his face. The book he's reading is "The Geneology of the Falcon Throne"

Curling the limber body like a cat into the chair near him, she questions, "Your my father and yet there's still so many basic things I don't know about you. Like the book your reading, is that considered light fun reading for you?"

"Not hardly," he replies. "I'm reading this at the suggestion of dear brother Preston. And Jaine - I'm not sure what they're cooking up, but I'll have a report based on what I've found ready in the morning."

"Hmmm, I wonder if they are trying to find another Filmore? Or just find him."

"Well," he answers, "they won't find him here. At least not in any real sense. I can track the Rhynn and Filmore familes back almost 50 generations with this book...but it won't tell me where he is; what he's doing. The old man sighs. "I don't think they're looking for a husband for Jaine. She's not interested in the prospect, so Joshua won't press it. Not that I can blame either of them. Archonus and Jaine together would have been good for the war, but you can't blame the man for following his heart, no matter what trouble it's gotten him into." "I think they're just searching for supporters. Looking for the weak houses, those overpowered before the first of the serpentblood set foot, here. We can't win this war, alone - if we don't find more help, soon, I fear that it will simply become 'we cannot win this war.'"

"The boy and the others that attacked last night, they are from nobility. The memories are painful, but perhaps getting to know about their lives before the- the evil times could help us with some of those lines. And there's still some minor hope in Sylvanus, in the dwarven strongholds, and now these new allies of Jansten's all hopeful allies for the war." Looking toward the books again, her voice speeding up, "No, I can't blame him for-" She shifts uncomfortably in the chair quickly closing her mouth to the words that almost were spoken. "His heart will lead as it will, and for Jaine there's still Arhconus Bluestar; Arrendor had feelings for her and both keep saying they are not the same man... but such things can come later. Filmore was the first for Jaine, and with her luck so far I can see why she is shying from another such alliance through marriage. I just had to ask and hope they are not following the same path again." Turning back to face him fully, brows furrowed, "There is one point I am confused on though....about you and the story of your life. The priest in Caer Mylen said you were of the Amastatian order and would never have thought you and Preston could last in the same room together. Now you lift sword against your foes, and call Preston brother openly. Both serve the light, but you seem to now follow the Apectan ways... Was that all- was it what happened on the island that changed you?"

"I changed...allegiances...before the island. There's no fault with the Amastacian order, but my calling was a warrior's calling, and the Apecto a warrior's saint. While the Amastacia deals in love and

forgiveness, the Apecto deals in sacrifice. It is sacrifice that has called me most deeply, and sacrifice that will mark my passing from this life to the next. I stopped denying my call, and stopped living a foolish wish. I belong here, just as Joshua does. We are of a warrior's blood, but followers of a healer's Light. It is in the Apectan Order that we can fulfill our destiny."

Curiosity for herself and for this man pushed her to ask, “But you wished for the Amastatian ways, for their kind of life? The priest spoke of your differences, was it because he accepted his role as a follower of the Apectan order?”

He smiles wryly, "Not exactly either of them. There was a time when I would have died before touching a sword. Joshua was born with a sword in one hand and a steeldrake in the other, they sometimes say. It is over that that we clashed. Joshua proved the wiser of the two of us, as events have proven."

She smiles at a memory, “He seems a fierce and protective warrior, yes, and he passed that on eventually to Justice. I never feared or hated the blade, but I never felt comfortable with them…” She pauses, “Do you remember the first person you killed?” Rushing on, “I wonder if Andara was good with a blade? Funny to think how little we truly get to choose in life. But back to you, I know you have different fathers, but did you grow up together or meet later in life?”

"I was aware I had a brother, but not that it was Joshua until we were adults. That revelation came...on the island. As for Andara - your mother - she was passable with the blade, but lightning with a bow. Like you."

She smiles, "At least I got one thing from her. Did you grow up in your mothers care?"

The old man nods. "In her care, at an Abbey south of Citadel Refuge."

"Citadel Refuge, that's where we were to meet Link... Was she of the Amastatian Order? What led you to leave there? Leave her?"

"She was of the Fellowship of the Amastacia. And I left because I had grown. Abbey life was not for me - I wanted to travel, so travel I did."

Her head rests on the back of the chair, "Abbey life... I almost think I would wish for it after all this though. I have thought on it. Reality is never as dreams, but I can't help it. Seeing something similar to those of which we have seen. Knowing those around you as a community based on the same basic needs and ideals. All reaching and striving toward the same goal, and all giving equally of themselves to better others.... But one can not indulge in dreams or what if's. Still so much to do, to solve, to make right.... I know she would be- much older, but does your mother still live there?"

He shakes his head. "She died. Years ago. It was a peaceful death, and a mostly peaceful life.”

L’Aurel smiles softly and gently reaches out her hand to touch his outstretched foot, “Do you miss her? Do you miss your father?”

"At my age, I have grown used to their absence." he answers, his smile souring.

“I’m sorry, you sounded close to your mother… I only know recent loss, and it still pains me greatly. Perhaps they are right in saying time heals all wounds… So Joshua did not know his mother?”

"Joshua's a little older than I am. He was apprenticed to a smith when he was a boy, north of the barrier range, before I was born. He knew Mother, but they were never as close as she and I were. I at least knew who my father was - Joshua never had that chance. Mother never talked about him. It wasn't until later that we knew."

“So Preston is older. Huh… but he did eventually learn who it was… and from I can see it was not a joyous discovery?” Genuine curiosity shows on her face.

"I don't know - it's not something we talk about. But he's awfully sensitive if you call him a 'bastard,' so maybe not."

“I am sure I would never call him such a name for any reason! He can’t help whatever happened between his parents. I know I would have- I did want to face and figure out who my father was… So he did confront his father? he went looking for him? Or should I go ask him… I guess these are personal and I have seen how much like Justice he is… I guess better to ask him directly if I want any answers.”

"There is no greater expert on your uncle's life than your uncle. Ask, and he may tell you."

“or he may not. I know I make him uncomfortable, but perhaps I shall see, later. What of your father what was he like? What were your parents names? I didn’t even ask before!”

"Arissa, John," he answers.

“John and Arissa Dorn. She of the Amastatian order who raised you south of Citadel Refuge, and he… was he of the order as well?”

"Yes, although she was born Arissa Preston..." he recalls.

“So Preston- Joshua took her name. It must not have been a happy time with his father if he did that, but it shows his allegiance to her to take the name.” A frown creases her brow, “So she carried the blood of the Apecto? Yet went the way of the Amastatia?…”

“She did, although she did not know it. That was something that Joshua learned before we met, confirmed by our time...on the island.”

“I know they are not pleasant memories, but can I ask…how long where you there on the island?”

"Too long," he mutters, turning away.

Knowing she has crossed the line, she gets up and walks around the small area uttering a quite, “Sorry.” Looking at the book titles for something interesting. The talking didn’t go exactly as she had planned.

"It's...alright," he calls after you. "Just please, don't ask about *there,* little one."

Her hand falls on a shelf as she stills, "There's just so much I still don't understand... I don't get. Everything seems to be a big puzzle- puzzles within puzzles within puzzles, but it's only as we figure out the smallest puzzles that we even get the pieces for the big one. I'm sorry I pushed it..." Going over to kneel by his chair, "Part of the big puzzle is also us, and you were- are part of me. There are so many small things I missed, so much I didn't ask before. I always figured there would be more time, another chance.... I know how foolish that thought was now." Reaching out to him a rare pain shining in her eyes, "Did you ever get used to having to take a life?"

He grunts. "Used to it? I suppose. You have to, to leave any part of yourself here," he says, pointing to his chest. "I take most of my comfort in the Creed - the warrior's creed of our order."

Eyes closing, he recites, "I live in the Light, and to the Light I dedicate this life, and the life hereafter.”

I am the Hand of the Light. I am Will, cloaked in flesh. I am Faith, given voice.

I live with Justice and Mercy, and to them I dedicate this life, and the life hereafter.

I am the Hand of the Light. I am the scale of Equity. I am Forgiveness, given breath.

I live for the Laws of the Stars' Children, and to them I dedicate this life, and the life hereafter.

I am the Hand of the Light. I am the sword of righteous kings. I am Thrones, given face.

I live for the Weak, the Downtrodden, and to them I dedicate this life, and the life hereafter.

I am the Hand of the Light. I am the strong arm of the frail. I am Providence, given form.

I live in the struggle against Darkness, and to it I dedicate this life, and the life hereafter.

I am the Hand of the Light. I am the Flame at midnight. I am Vengeance, given purpose.

I live for Knowledge and Truth, and to them I dedicate this life, and the life hereafter.

I am the Hand of the Light. I am the seeker in shadows. I am Judgment, given body.”

At the last phrase L’Aurel’s lips move with his to recite those few lines from memory. “This body is the servant of light, but the soul is fire, and fire shall I become, again. Light, guide your Hand to truth, honor, and glory so that I may be worthy one day of your cleansing flames. So may it be, now and forevermore."

He sighs. "The Apecto understood what it was to *have* to take life. We are not asked to enjoy it, but we must understand that there are times when it must be done. I *am* the sword of righteous kings, my dear. And swords have but one purpose - to kill. It is the reasons *why* I kill in which I find my comfort. Needless, pointless death surrounds us, but I know that the deaths I cause are for the Light -- in the Light."

"I - we - are swords. Killers. Warriors. But we kill for purpose. We kill to protect. We are not only blades, but the scales of equity, the strong arm of the frail. There are some who cannot do as we do, who lack the courage, the strength. There is no shame in it. But we do, we have to. To fail to fulfill that calling would be to spit in the face of the Light. A sword is a sword - and nothing but. I deceived myself for a long time, my dear. But I know what I am, and I refuse to be ashamed. I feel sorrow, I feel regret...but not shame. This is what I have been born to do, and I shall do it until I breathe my last."

After he is done speaking, she slowly opens her eyes, "Justice fought the call as well, yet as with Preston it seems she was born with that inner light. I can give reasons that follow all that you have said to every kill I have made man or beast... yet there are some I have merely stapled with honor for less honorable reasons... The abbess said I had to forgive myself, I have... but I still feel such sadness and grief every time I close my eyes. He was bound and wounded, he barely even knew I was there if at all... Archonus had already marked him, and they had already told him to leave. All I could think of was the smile on his face as he stabbed an innocent woman, all I could see was a red haze of anger. I killed him with his own dagger... there was nothing honorable in how I did it. I have come to accept that if faced with the very same I would do the same, but... I can still feel his blood on my hands as I took the blade out."

Your father interrupts you, his face flushing in what seems - strangely - like anger. "Forgiveness!" he snorts. Regret is all well and good, my daughter, but not all deaths are wrong. That's the weakness of the Amastacian way - to demand penance for things that are not wrong, only regrettable! This man was evil. You were right to take his life. Now, even I might take issue with how it was done, but I would not ask you to seek forgiveness for the death, itself. That mad deserved to die - he deserved to die armed, with a chance to defend himself - but he DESERVED to die."

Looking down at her hands, "My bow has maybe offered me too much comfort in killing from afar, I didn't have to get my hands dirty... but I can't stop now." Looking up at him again, "I am starting to understand some small part of sacrifice. For something I will never feel, how did you feel or realize the call? Is it merely a path set before you, or that inner strength of which Justice seems to pull?"

"It's all really the same thing, my dear. The Light sets a path before us, and then illumines the way ahead. We gather strength by walking that path, and are weak when we stray from it. The Light shines upon us when we do as we must, and it is when we fail to walk that chosen path that we flounder alone, in darkness."

“Justice seems to have found her place, though I think she will always question it and question the path ahead. She seems to have found something that she was missing.” Thinking back on his other words, “Alone… Like Archonus Bl… The bow has always been my strength, there have been many times I wanted to give it up- put it aside and always for the same reason, but Michael was always there showing me why and how I could not give it up. Once he scared me in the middle of the night, knowing my instincts would guide me… and they did, I immediately without thought reached for that familiar curve of wood.” With a slight chuckle, “Though he always also never let me give up the blade completely either. Does it ever bother you when I talk of Michael?”

"His memory brings you happiness, and I have not been much of a father to you, except by blood. Now, I have even that to make up for. No, L'Aurel, it does not bother me. For all I was to your mother, it was Michael she loved. You are not alone," he continues, "Never alone. Your friends, your family - all of us are here with you," he says, pointing to his heart, "and here," he says, hands indicating the room (and the world) around you.

She wraps her arms around her legs still sitting on the floor by his chair, “Something I forget at times, but never for long. For some are here too,” Laughing she indicates her head. “And those make sure I don’t forget. Even with the change, they are still there. Looking around I see I am truly fortunate… I am starting to think the true blood of a person has little say in what they do or what they become, but more how much a person puts on blood that makes it what it is. I may not hold the same blood that I did, but I think the same. I still reach for the bow, and I still love the same as I did before. The blood that runs through this body holds no link to the Woodshadow or to you, but the spirit housed in it does. Many may not agree with me, but I guess when one dies they look at things a little differently. What were you to her, to Andara? Friends? Did you know her before- for long? Preston had a wife whom he loved and grandchildren, do you not look for the same?”

"Andara, Preston, and I all became friends after we realized our common interest in history. Preston suspected things, and we started to confirm them…about the past, about our heritage. Some of them - many of them - would have been devastating to both the Apectan and Amastacian orders..." He sighs. "My life, since then, has been difficult. There has been little time for love. I have been at war since I was practically a child. This is merely the greatest flare in a long-burning fire."

“I can see why for the Apectan order it would have been so horrible. Only through Justice’s need to have answers though… she tried to tell the priest in Caer Melyn of her blood, but no matter what she showed him he refused to see the truth. But it changes no ideals for the Amastatian order, if anything it should help their cause support their ideals.” Though her face continues to change from curiosity to happiness her pose suggests deeply she is truly content, “Those must have caused you even more turmoil to find out those truths… to discover them. I know you were filled with an internal war, but it sounds like there still a great war you are speaking of- I know your ideas, these truths as you found them, got you sent to- sent away, but is there more your not saying?”

"Nothing save insignificant detail. I remember so little of it, anyway - madness and memory are hardly friends."

“But you are back with us now, and at what seems just the right time as well.” Not wanting to push again, she tries to find a happier topic for her and her father, “When do you have to report your findings to Jaine and Preston?”

"As soon as I have them," he snorts. "There's a lot here to read - and geneologies are hardly exciting reading. When I know something - anything - I'm to tell them."

“Can I help in any way? I may not be able to piece anything together, but I can take good notes... Or do you need books from elsewhere? Anything?”

"No need for that, at least not yet. As soon as we need you, know that neither the Queen nor I would hesitate to call."

She slowly stand up hugging him, “Then I’ll leave you to your reading, but shall stay for a while yet.” She again starts to look over the shelves trying to find something of interest… It’s normal to spend a quiet evening with one’s father, normal… “You have spent more time here then I have, do you know if there are any books here that would tell me more of the Amastatian or Apectan orders. Even something basic?”

"There are many," he says, "but I would begin with the Apecto's journal...or the Amastacia's, if you must."

“To understand you and to make some other decisions...” Smiling over her shoulder at him, “And reading can be a good way to pass the time with you while you study.” She continues to grin as she searches to find the books he has suggested.

Her hand first finds a book on the light, taking it down she continue her search. This will do, but… ah ha! She stretch up high above her head grasping the worn leather. Drat this new height! It seem it was a popular book for those here before, but there is one she would really like to see- There! The binding is dusty but for the most part looks new, it seems this is a less sought after book. She return to the chair opposite her father, noting his white brows furrowed in concentration as he reads more of his book. she curl contentedly knowing a foolish smile plays at her lips, but not carrying. She will remember this for a long to come… a normal, calm memory amongst so many others.

Laurel

First Post
Day T+2

Justice calls out for you to enter without rising from her seat. As you come into her room, it seems almost bear in comparison to the previous night. Justice sits, back straight in an overstuffed chair with a journal in her lap, rubbing her temples. Seeing your face, she brightens. Quickly shoving papers into the leather bound book, she fastens it shut. "How are you this evening, Cousin?"

L’aurel hesitates at the doorway, but quickly enters, "Content." A smile widens her face as she hugs you tightly, "and glad. Very glad to be... home?" Though covered or perhaps more appropriately uncovered in her strange new clothes she seems not notice the chill air, "As close to home as anywhere is these days I suppose. I follow where the light leads, and hope I am truly doing it's will- Sorry." Looking toward the bond leather book in your hands, "I didn't mean to intrude." Going over to the spot where one of the bed's lay so short a time ago. "I just... forgive me, but so much has happened… I think the one part that has troubled or concerned me the lest has been my own death and my own awakening in all this. Another friend dead, another friend as two, another who won't even wear the ring, and secrets.... sacrifice and secrets and confusion and pain and love through it all. The circle is broken... and I can't fix it!" Frustration finally raises her voice in an uncharacteristic tone as the light shreds of cloth cloud around her as finally sits in the middle of the floor glaring at the fire place.

Justice nods slowly. Pursing her lips, she appears in deep thought. "I know. Time are hard, L'Aurel. To be honest, I do not know what to think of the current situation in The Circle. Archonus' current actions and stubbornness have made me question... well, it made me question lots of things. But, slowly, I am working though them and coming to terms with the situation." She stands, takes the few steps from her chair to you, and sits beside you on the floor. "L'Aurel, I do not believe it your responsibility to fix any of the problems The Circle is currently experiencing. Things have changed, yes. But, none of them are your fault."

Sitting still only L'Aurel's hands moving in her lap, and her words rushing to keep up, “We took an oath to hold the circle above all else… yet I know for some there is another higher- a stronger bond. Maybe it’s just jeal- how can I say those words again? How can any of us? Archonus turned from us, and it was only Xath that brought him back…. Not us not the circle- Xath.” She jumps up to start pacing, “Arfin is gone killed so… so senselessly! He had a hard life and died fighting, so I guess for a dwarf it was an okay life, but by the light why? He expected death, even wanted it, yet the light denied it to him for so many years, why take it now! He is probably happier finally getting to be with his family, but I just don’t… and what they did to Jaine! Our queen! He was easily willing to sacrifice the sword she gave him- a gift of her love, and he was willing to give it up, not because it was for me but because it would take it away from him it would take care of the problem... he didn’t even want it back afterwards! Xath had to practically force him to take it! And you, I know it’s your secret to tell, but why do you hide who your father is? He’s bad, he’s evil, but he is still what he is. You want to kill him, torture him- it won’t make it any better it won’t change anything that happened. His death will not alter what that child lived, it will not bring back Katie suddenly. And for the circle—it’s just one more dent, one more break.” Her hands clench in front of her, “I killed for revenge… it doesn’t change what happened.” Throwing her arms up in the air, “I sometimes wonder what Kareth is going to do next.” Finally taking a deep breath.

Shamefully, Justice looks down. "So far as my father goes, I do not hide it for my desire to kill him. I hide it because it brings me pain-- and the circle that surrounds us need not dwell on my pain."

Justice's eyes burn brighter than the roaring flames in front of them. "Truthfully, L'Aurel... I do not want to kill him. I want him to be a better, good man. If he refused that life, like any enemy, I would smite him. But, I would give him the chance..." She trails off, shaking her head as if shaking out memories. She tightens her jaw, attempting to chew through L'Aurel's words. "In many ways, I believe Xath to be Archonus' only link to this oath... and, if he were not like a brother to me, I would slap him and never speak to him again-- to think what he did to Jaine makes me sick through and through. But, I am bound to him and I must trust that he has done what is best for him even if I cannot see it as the right thing. He is distant and rightly so--much has happened in the past few days. I can understand why he wants to be alone in his thoughts." She nods, seemingly coming to some understanding of her own. "Xath is what holds him to us, now... but we are what holds him to our quest. He will come back because he knows it to be the best route. His devotion to Xath is deep-- but, I believe his devotion to our cause to be stronger." Nodding again, "He will come 'round."

Looking at her fair cousin, L’aurel for once isn’t thinking much before speaking, "You were filled with such vengeance when you told me of your new knowledge. There was pain yes, but such hatred... you spoke of killing him, and even promised if not you then of Preston doing so... you are rarely controlled by your emotions, dear cousin, but when they do it seems complete. I know you would give him a chance to change his ways, but think more on what course you would take should he refuse. Death and Killing is not always the answer. But the creed you read each morning shall guide you as it has guided you thus far... and he is your father to- deal with as you will." A strange eye shaped stone flashes in the fire light as she continues to move around the room, "As for the circle, they will not dwell on the pain if you don't let them, and even if they do it is not right to keep it from them... Let them deal with as they will, that is part of the trust. I would rather us not run into a past secret... I fear the break such a thing would cause. If we are to solve the puzzle that surrounds us they have to know each piece fully. We have wasted weeks in the past with people holding secrets that if but one other person know the link could have been made. You are strong and they know that, and how you tell them and how you react will tell them how to feel and how to deal with it. But not telling them is no longer an option if we are to keep this circle whole. As for Arhconus" the cloud of cloth at her ankles stills, "they are both the man we knew and yet both so different. It will just take me time- to adjust to their... differences."

"Vengeance, there may have been, L'Aurel... and vengeance, there may still be. But, my relationship is a personal war--a personal battle. It is not above the war we fight-- it is simply of less importance now." Justice looks up, at her cousin, "When the time is right, the circle will know." She chuckles, "It is not exactly dinner conversation.""L'Aurel... I may seem strong at times... but that strength comes directly from those around me." She stands, looking into your eyes, "It is for these reasons-- the way you hold each of us accountable for our actions—that makes you a quintessential part of our circle."

Smiling slightly and nodding L’Aurel replies, “Just think long before you make any decisions, there should be no regret. And no it is not normal dinner conversation, but our circle is far from normal. As I have said though, it is your knowledge to pass on, so tell them how and when you will. I just had to speak my thoughts, my worries, my concerns.” Smiling more broadly now, “That is the circle though. Each giving and strengthening the rest. Each a necessary part of the others. None of us could have come this far, discovered this much without each other and the light.” She reaches out to hug you.

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
The start of a conversation :)

Xath may notice a small eagle flying over head as Justice on Thane leaves the wooded sanctuary, moments later a smiling L'Aurel appears on quiet foot steps a fragile garment of white cloth partially covers her now more lithe frame. "Did she tell you?" A wide smile covering her face as she comes forward to hug her dear friend.

Xath stands to return L'Aurel's hug. "Indeed she did. It is a fine light in these troubled times."

“I scarce knew her when she found me…. She fairly glowed! So happy, and at ease. But she never does anything so quickly…. But as you know one can not guide the heart! And the seamstresses will have a time getting a dress to please her in time.” A small chuckle escapes, “I warned her that I would have to now pick up all the pieces of the broken hearts across the land…. It seems I should pick up all those break for you I should pick up on my way.”

"I am happy for her if she has found her happiness. She is fortunate to find time for love in such times as these."

"You too have found such joy, and perhaps at a harder time for you both. At least you and he can be together... she will have to leave him behind, and she will not stay behind herself."

Xath smiles at her friend. "I hope you do not think me melancholy from Justice's news, my friend. I simply came here to contemplate recent events, and even joy such as Justice's cannot wash away everything else that we have been through."

L’Aurel’s smile falters, “I know it can not. Time will not stand still long enough for us to adjust to anything, and I used to there would be time enough to analyze and evaluate everything before time was up. Do you want to talk about it?” Moving a pace away, “Or should I leave you?”

She moves to catch L'Aurel's hand. "I have learned that there will be plenty of time for contemplation after I am dead." She winces in her smile. "But my time to spend with my friends is limited, and thus, cherished. I would always be glad to speak with you."

Squeezing Xath’s hand, L’Aurel says, “Do you think of Arfin? He is in a better place, he searched for death in anyway for so many years. It would have been shameful for him to see his family again in such a way. Instead he can join them having died in combat as a warrior desires, and having helped as no other could save a town and a kingdom. He learned to be a dwarf again, he learned to care about people again. He will never be far, just a breath away really. You held a special place in his heart.”

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
G-mail convo. so far-- just so people can review thought it may help :)

Mere hours after you learn of the attack on Caer Albion, a messenger finds you as you tend your wounds. The moans of the dying surround you, but thankfully, the dead have remained quiet. Whatever was summoned here by the redmage is dead, dissipated on some unseen wind like dust in a maelstrom. As your own wounds are bound, you walk among the palace guard, and they regale you with tales of their own bravery, of what they fought and how they fought it. In their eyes, you see what seems to be an almost desperate need for your approval, and at least a few of you are disquieted. To these people, you are heroes in the service of a near-immortal Queen. You stood among them on the walls, as did she, and she bled as they have bled. In their feverish glances you see the what may be the birth of a nation. Those who believe, pray. Those who don't whisper anyway - death brings all closer to God. As you smile warily at each other across the makeshift hospital room, a messenger in sweat-stained livery comes to you. He squares his shoulders as your attention shifts to him, and though the day before has stolen his voice, he makes his raspy commands ring with regal authority. "The Queen," he scrapes, and then coughs. "The Queen summons the Circle of the Phoenix to her chambers. You must come immediately."

L'Aurel: Smiling weakly at the man, "Thank you for the message." Looking to the Circle, "Our Queen and our friend needs us now." Looking around as she heads out of the room, muttering "So much still to do. So much..."

Justice: Quickly stepping next to L'Aurel, she nods. "Indeed, there is so much... but, we must get to work if we plan to get even a fraction of it done." Clearing her throat as she approaches the door of Jaines chambers she whispers, "We will be discussing delicate issues..." She stops, thinking. "Just... well... let's be careful in how and what we say. She is a strong woman, but more fragile than many of us think." Pulling the door open, she puts on her most confident smile. "Good evening, Jaine."

Jaine: Jaine's hair is in disarray, and she remains in a robe and nightgown. The nights events have pulled her from sleep - something she was clearly not prepared for. Yet, she sits in the high-backed chair like the Queen she is, a table camouflaging her unmoving legs. She yawns, motioning to the oval-shaped table. "Good evening to all of you," she manages to get out before blinking and bringing her hands up to cover her mouth. "Please, sit," she continues, looking over the gathered circle, pausing for a moment as her eyes meet Archonus's. "We have much to discuss. Events are overtaking us, and we must ensure that we're not left behind. I have spoken to each of you before, but no longer can we watch, and wait. We must act - quickly." "I know that Oceanus once more draws our attention. What of tonight's events? What happened?"

L’Aurel: She walks past Justice. This at least she can do. After hugging her friend Jaine, L’Aurel sits to one side squeezing her queen's arm and looks to the others to begin.

Archonus: Archonus stands silently behind the others, his ominous bearing doing little to lighten the mood. He says nothing, instead waiting for one of the others to explain the attack. no mask.

Xath: Xath speaks from her seat at the table. "A messenger came to us through unexpected means, from Caer Albion. He was one of the redmages who we recently released. He was near death, but he told us that the city was under attack and that they requested our aid. We were about to question him, but several of whatever beings plague Caer Albion followed him here, and attacked, even as we stood in the formal throne room. Creatures from beyond the grave, they were, the like of which I have only heard in story. Upon hearing the cry of a guard, I ran out to see what troubled him, but found him dead. I, myself was quickly disabled, but Justice managed to turn the foul creature. Several more, of different variety, attacked soon after. It was a gruesome battle, but we overcame our challenges, and we know through the guards that the rest of the palace has as well. Upon completion, we found that we had not been able to save the Redmage from his assailants." She grips the table in front of her with both hands. "We now find ourselves with several dilemmas. The Isle of Mourning and Caer Albion hold two spirit blades each, and both are under attack by the King's forces. We have unfinished business with both emissary Jansten, and...his rival faction. We will not curry favor with either by making them wait. The question becomes, What are we to do; When are we going to do it; and How are we going to accomplish our goals. We must act quickly, but we cannot afford careless mistakes. Let's set our priorities"

Jaine: Before she speaks, Jaine motions to one of the empty chairs at the table, and says, her voice cold and uninflected, "Archonus, please sit. I would have the Circle all on equal terms." Her bearing still regal (despite the hour), Jaine simply says, "We cannot afford to abandon any of these things. We must vigorously pursue all of them, though I know at current we lack the resources and manpower to do so. How would you have us proceed?"

Justice: Justice, looking her queen in the eyes, speaks softly, "We are placed in the most difficult of positions, now. We do not have the capability to fight both fights and I, for one, am not willing to sit by and watch either sets of those blades be sacrificed." A very dark look crosses her bright eyes. "Caer Albion demands the attention of the circle... The Isle of Mourning demands something different. In the North, there are troops that can be made ours-- all we've to do is ask.

Xath: Xath snorts, releasing her grip on the table to rub her temples. "I'm sure we'd have to do more than ask. Nothing he does is just done for the asking. He'll be wanting something from us."

Jaine: "You speak of the troops that Archonus Bluestar has spoken of? Or more broadly," the Queen inquires, "of the Bluestar, himself?"

Justice: She raises an eyebrow, "I had never thought of employing the help of the Bluestar himself... but, his troops can provide a valuable--possibly necessary--asset in this fight." Looking to Xath, "True, it will not be free... but, if we do not ask, we may not win this war."

Xath: Xath turns, looking to Justice. "And if we ask...will we be willing to pay the price?"

Jaine: "What do we have to offer them in return for their...services...?" Jaine asks. "Can we employ Archonus Bluestar's forces without also committing ourselves to the Bluestar?"

Justice: "It is not as if we do not have options. We decide what we are willing to give up... and if it is not enough for him, Light willing, we will do without."

L’Aurel: Hesitantly, "We need all the help we can get. Tonight is just another example that we won't survive this alone. They may be small, but may be able to find help with the group that Jansten is allied with. But from what you two have just said our possible help seem to all be in the North" Quieter, "Everything has a price."

Justice: Looking into her lap, she speaks almost questioningly... "Well, if things go according to plan, we have the blades... and, if we win this war, we may hold the possibility of his freedom." Tugging at her messy hair, "We can ensure that the craft of wizardry is protected in the future..." She trails off, deep in thought.

Jaine: We cannot curry favor with them both - at least not openly." Jaine replies. "We must choose one ally in the North, and only one, I fear."

L’Aurel: For now they are just part of the Bluestar’s forces. You would have us not even speak with them then my queen?

Jaine: "What can Jansten's men offer us? The Bluestar? We must weigh our options carefully." To Justice, she says, "You think clearly, Justice. I fear that any price we must pay will be a hard one."

Justice: "Jansten's men can offer little... currently, they are asking, not giving."

Jaine:"Very true. What, then, can we offer them that will not jeopardize our chance at victory, and ultimately to the Throne?" she replies

L’Aurel: A chance for freedom, To show them that even if they over throw the bluestar now they will be faced with a far worse fate. We can not give them much now, but we can once we win this battle.

Justice: She shakes her head. "There is not much for us to give them... outside of emotional support... and the promise that someday, when we aren't at war with bigger forces, their fight will become ours, as well."

Xath: "Do we know how many they number?"

L’Aurel: We don't know much at all since Jansten isn't thier leader and he can't or won't tell us vital information. He knows Arrchonus bluestar will not lead them, but he has sworn an oath to the bluestar. There is a very limited amount of trust he feels towards us right now. If we truly want the information we need- we should talk to them."

Jaine: "I have already agreed to send you to them as emissaries of the throne. Of that, there is no question. However, I fear we may have little to offer them, and they little to offer us. Your friend - Jansten - has been unclear about the numbers, but there cannot be many of them if the Bluestar has already sent one of his armies southward, as Archonus Bluestar has told us. Yet, they must have some power, else they would not consider rebellion, at all. Is there a way for us to convince them to abandon their own war in favor of ours? If so, I would hear it." she says.

L’Aurel: "Is their primary wish for freedom or for the elimination of the bluestar?"

Jaine: "And talk to them, we shall. By all means, summon Jansten here by whatever means you deem most expedient - I would hear his side. But I fear we cannot help them any more than they can help us, at least directly. Surely, if we could engage some of the Bluestar's forces here, he would be weaker in his home kingdom, furthering both of our causes simultaneously. Could we not offer them that?"

Justice: Justice nods. "It seems that that is truly all we have to offer them at the moment. I pray it will be enough to satisfy them."

Jaine: "Then to Jansten I can happily offer our duplicity, though I wish there a way it could be otherwise."

L’Aurel: "It is up to them, but at least that much we can offer. It is better then nothing which is all they have gotten from others." Calmly looking around the table, "And what of the Bluestar? We need his troops, but we know he also wants Tain destroyed and he wants all the blades. But how close an alliance do we try to make?"

Jaine: "How close we become will be very much dependent on what we need - or at least what we can get - from him. As has been said, everything has a price. What price are we willing to pay for the aid of the Bluestar, or at least of his herald? Can a distinction be drawn between the two?

Xath: Before we attempt to make an alliance, we have to gauge what he will want, and what we are willing to give him. He wants Tain destroyed and he wants the Spirit blades. Fortunately, we are united in the first goal. His emissary tells us that he would destroy the blades, and if we can take that word at face value, it would be quite an advantage on our part. But we have to ask ourselves if we are willing to give him the power of the 13 blades. Those will not be his only demands however...We will be gaining more from the use of his troops than he will from our aid, so we must expect him to have conditions. We have a slight idea of what some of those may be."

Jaine: Jaine's eyes seem to sharpen. "And what is that that you expect?"

Xath: "He may want the open practice of wizardry in the kingdom. That, we have been allowing conditionally, so I do not see this issue as a problem, as long as we choose our words carefully. He may want his freedom from beyond the walls of the frozen north. This, I think, we cannot allow him, as he would then be free to release his undead minions upon the kingdom. He may know of the prophecy of his downfall and demand the turnover of Oberon's last daughter." She turns to look directly at Jaine, and then her glance shifts downward. "This we certainly cannot allow him to have."

Justice: "So far as the practice of wizardry goes, I believe it is already a given that it will be practiced freely under the reign of the Phoenix throne... However, I do not think that his freedom is as negative as many would have it seem. This may sound naive but, so long as he knows that, if he is free, he becomes a person bound to our laws, what is the harm in setting him lose? If he crosses into our land, he become subject to us... which, I believe to be better than having us subject to him."

Xath: "And what makes you think that he would be subject to our laws, or acknowledge the Phoenix throne? As of yet, we are not speaking of a permanent alliance. We are speaking of a treaty that results from the adage, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I would not have us set the bluestar free, even to help us win this war. To do so would surely mean another immediate war. And the lord of death gains new followers for each of our fallen."

Justice: "I am not claiming it is a good idea, Xath. I never would. However, I do believe that we need to examine our options fully... even if they are not totally appealing. If I were the Bluestar, my ultimate goal would be freedom. Do not cut options off so quickly--every option demands to be thought through. Maybe setting him free could be a conditional portion of an agreement. He would not be granted his freedom now... but, over time. Possibly in exchange for a large number of his minions being given to The Light? If we set him free, his army must be eliminated?"

L'Aurel: Eventually we will have to set him free... he is the only one who knows how to destroy the blades, and one blade is in the wall. We don't know for sure, but most likely it is what holds the magic contained there. I wonder also at how he got the armies south of the wall... would... would Archonus Blustar tell us?"

Jaine: And to the foe we fight, even children can come to serve them. At least the dead have no souls to pervert. I do not wish to make a deal with the devil. Allow me to make that clear. Yet, I would doom our children to a war against the Bluestar if it means our children may live and live free."

Xath: "The wall is not infinitely deep. That is how the undead came to Sylvannus forty years ago. He also uses submersible boats to get underneath by sea. The breech to Sylvannus has been sealed, unless by province of Archonus Bluestar, the passage has been reopened..."

Jaine: "Perhaps Archonus's doppelganger could be made to tell us. Shall we summon him?"

L'Aurel: That also gives us a way in, and another question of why he hasn't traveled out? Right now he gains nothing by being free, it may only be after Tain is destroyed that he would eye that prize."

Xath: “He would gain the full use of his troops by his freedom. Conversely, it would allow Tain's troops access to his realm...Good thought, L'Aurel.”

Jaine: "Indeed, if the ward has already been breeched, the Bluestar could be among us, already. While we must consider the possibility, I would rather his freedom, should it be necessary, come on our terms."

Xath: “I say, send for Archonus Bluestar. He will be able to give us much insight.”

Justice: "Indeed, send for Archonus Bluestar. Additionally, let us not be blinded by the cryptic wording of the prophecies... the blade may not be in the Wall."

L'Aurel: We have little enough people, I shall go get him... it should only take a moment, but keep going with this train of thought." Holding up her ring of the circle she slides it on her finger, "I shall let you know before we enter." She walk toward the door swiftly.

Xath: I believe Penny discovered the exact locations of the blades.

Jaine: "L'Aurel!" Jaine calls out the doorway. "Bring Penny, as well!"

L’Aurel: A strange laugh followed by a fading, "As you command my queen!"

Justice: "What of making the Bluestar's freedom--if he demands it—dependent upon his demilitarization? I believe it is an idea worthy of discussion."

Xath: "While it is certainly an ideal condition for his freedom, how would we get him to agree to such a goal? I am under the impression that he wishes to conquer the kingdom and make it the image of the Frozen North."

Justice: "We strip him of his military... and demand that his phylactery remain in our possession? Would that be enough to grant him his freedom to ensure his service, now?” Silently, she looks up at the ceiling, "I do not like to admit it... but, he will truly have the upper hand in these negotiations. Why do you believe that he wishes to conquer the kingdom?"

Xath: Xath turns to star at Justice, one eyebrow raised. "Perhaps it is because he has made repeated attempts to do so over the past thousand years. Need I remind you of the War of the Damned? The Great Pirate War? He has made repeated devastating skirmishes south of the wall since he was placed behind it. What makes you think he will change?"

Justice: "Nothing at all, Xath. However, at this point, all statements need to be explained if we are to fully understand all of our options. I believe that it is possible to grant the Bluestar his freedom... so long as it is limited. It is not a preferable option. by any means. If he will agree to give up his army and grant the circle the possession of his phylactory, I think that his freedom is something that may be a possibility... but, only if he demands it. He is a powerful, powerful being. But, it is quite difficult to fight a war on your own--even if you are the Bluestar.”

Jaine: "I have my doubts that he would agree to a freedom so ransomed," says Jaine. "As you said, Justice - he has the upper hand. Fighting Tain for him is not so grand a privilege that he would sacrifice all but his free will, I suspect. We need something more, and I fear that freedom may be it. The only other option is to offer me - and I have no wish to join him. Not in my current state." “Or any state, for that matter," she mutters to herself.

Xath: "Do not forget, Jaine, that you are not the only possibility for Oberon's last daughter." Xath says, with a meaningful look cast at Jaine's swelling stomach.

Arhconus: Archonus sits quietly, listening, with his arms crossed his eyes
betraying his hidden dissaproval.

Justice: "If he demands freedom: what do we give him? Do we walk away? What is our plan for this extreme case?"

Jaine: "If he demands freedom: what do we give him? Do we walk away? What
is our plan for this extreme case? I think we must offer it if asked, if only conditionally. But what conditions could we place upon it that he would agree to? Justice spoke well of placing limits on his freedom, but they must be limits to which he will agree. Perhaps we must simply depend on the potential success of Jansten's rebellion?"

Justice: "I believe that his ultimate ambition is to gain freedom. We must determine what we will respond to that with. We ask asking for his help. If we grant him limited freedom, as I have discussed, he needs to be granted something more... but, what is there?"

L'Aurel: Through the rings, "-me." One set of feet can be heard outside, then through the rings, "I have them both with me."

Xath: Xath turns towards the doorway, awaiting their entrance.

Justice: A slightly uncomfortable look crosses Justice's face. For a moment, she appears to be trying--and failing--to speak. But, eventually, she takes a deep breath and speaks, "Jaine... this may seem--strange—to you. But, you are a diplomat... you know the value of... political marriages." She purses her lips, seemingly searching for the right words, "If you married Archonus Bluestar, your lines would be tied forever. That may be enough to convince him."

Arhconus: Archon's eyes narrow and an almost audible growl escapes him.

Justice: ring - "You may want to wait one moment." Quickly glancing at Archonus, ringed "Please, Archonus, now is the time for words not for your impenetrable coldness... this is a hard time for everyone... however, it is a time to explore *every* option." Her gaze passes over the group, "Jaine has an oldest son. If something were to happen to Jaine, the line would pass form her to Archonus Bluestar and then to her son."

Jaine: Jaine's eyes widen as L'Aurel walks through the door with Archonus Bluestar and Penny in tow. The line of kings would once more be his..." she mutters, staring nowhere in particular.

Xath: "The claim may be enough to appease the bluestar...but if anything were to happen to you, Jaine, he has the lineage to become king."

Jaine: Jaine quickly composes herself, stealing a glance at Archonus Arendorr, having heard his growl. A concerned look crosses her face as she turns to address the two newest people in the room. "The Circle has questions for the both of you, and I have much to think about" Addressing the circle, she says, "Ask what you would. Justice's...suggestion may have merit, though no small horror...I....ask. I need to think."

L’Aurel: not liking what she sees L’Aurel moves beside Penny, remembering what the child had felt towards Archonus… either one.

Xath: Xath turns to Archonus Bluestar. "You have taken position as Marquis of Sylvannus, correct?"

AA: Archonus still says nothing, although the appearance of AB catches and holds his attention. He watches AB carefully letting his hands slide a little closer to his blades.

AB: "I have not. I claimed Sylvanus through conquest. The march-throne remains empty. I am not Archonus Arendorr, and if I am to take what is his, I will do so by strength of arms. I will not pretend to legitimacy that does not exist. Not here."

Xath: Xath continues. "There was once a breach in the wall, which allowed the Bluestar's forces access through the barrier and into Sylvannus. It was sealed forty years ago. Does it remain so?"

AB: "I will answer your questions when you answer mine. What discussion passed here before I entered?"

Xath: Xath grips Archon's hand under the table for a moment, and when she releases it, his ring is sitting in his hand.

L’Aurel: through the ring: “Penny. Please ask what was needed of her and let her go!”

Archonus: Archonus looks at Xath for a moment, looks at his hands, and then puts
on the ring, removing the Ring of the Chameleon.

Xath: Xath shoots a glance at L'Aurel. *ring: Is something wrong with Penny?*

Justice: Looking up at Archonus Bluestar, Justice speaks, "We will tell you what we have spoken of in due time. It was the discussion of a queen and her advisors. We will tell you what you need to know, when you need to know it. Right now, Archonus Bluestar, our rebellion depends heavily on information you could possess." She stares into his eyes pleadingly... "Please, will you sit and share?"

Penny: Penny is madly fluttering her eyelashes at the two Archonus's, alternating quickly between the two. Neither seems to notice.

AB: Reluctantly, he sits. His hard gaze softens for a moment as it stops at Jaine, who appears deep in her own thoughts. It hardens once more as he stares across the table at Archonus Arendorr. "Ask your questions."

L’Aurel: Looking at Xath, ringed to all "Remember her feelings for Arhconus. Please, she is young, ask about the swords and let her go she should not have to see them like this. If other things are talked of- Please?" She moves a step closer to Penny, "If you wish tell me the questions I will take her outside first to get the information."

Jaine: Jaine seems to shake herself out of her revelry, and seems almost surprised to see Archonus Bluestar. "Archonus Bluestar, sorry to have made you sit so quickly, but Penny's information is for our ears, alone. Step outside, and I will summon you when we are ready. Our answers - and our questions - will have to wait until then." He rises, bows deeply, and then steps outside the room, sparing time only for a scowl in AA's direction.

Archonus: Archonus stares directly back across at AB, his eyes....calculating.

L’Aurel: L'aurel lightly touches Penny's arm moving her closer to the oval table. With a welcoming smile, "This shouldn't take long friend."

Justice: Justice, looked back and forth between Archonus and Archonus Bluestar, suppresses a chuckle. Clearing her throat, she looks to Penny. "Were you ever able to determine, with any certainty, where the spiritblades are?"

Penny: “This is exactly as I found it, as it was given to me.”

Justice: Justice nods, looking to the rest of The Circle. "I believe this is all we need..."

Jaine: "Thank you, Penny," Jaine says. You may go. We are sorry to have awakened you."

Penny: Penny sketches a curtsy, and then takes her leave.

AB: Archonus Bluestar steps in before the door can close, slowly taking his seat. "You got what you needed?"

Archonus: Archonus re-assumes his watch of the Prince of the North.

Justice: Justice smiles encouragingly, "Yes, from Penny... But, the information you could provide us with is much, much more important, Archonus Bluestar."

Xath: Xath's forehead creases in concern as she looks at Archonus Bluestar. "Has the passage been reopened?"

AB: Staring at Archonus Arendorr, he replies, "What passage?"

Xath: Xath smiles slightly, but dryly. "The passage I mentioned before; where the bluestar's armies penetrated the barrier forty years ago."

AB: Almost as if reciting, he says, "The breech was sealed several score years ago by the sacrifice of the King's talon, and of his armies. It remains sealed, and neither the Bluestar nor his minions may pass through it, for they lack a soul."

Xath: "Then how have the bluestar's minions been passing through, if that statement still holds?"

AB: "None of the walking dead, save one, have passed through Quarion's gates."

Justice: "How is it that Gyan passed through?"

Xath: *ring- Gyan's soul is still partially trapped within the body. I saw his soul when I died...but it was faded...as if he wasn't entirely there.*

Justice: -ring- I know a bit of what is going on with Gyan. My knowledge ofreligion has shed some light on the issue... however, I am trying to learn everything I can about it.

AB: "There are places - doors - in the wall where even the soulless may pass, if you know where to look. They are not perfect – almost any of my grandfather's thralls would be destroyed in an instant. But Gyan retains a bit of what he once was. Enough for him to pass largely unharmed."

Justice: "Where are these doors, Archonus Bluestar? What does one look for to find them?"

AB: "They are few and far between, and well camoflaged - save one. One of the great gates allow passage for. It is through this gate, near Sylvanus, where the armies of the Falcon have crossed."

Xath: *Ring- Does he mean the portals? I know that there is one north of the wall. That could allow his minions access to the kingdom without having to pass through the barrier. Though it is still not a safe route.*

Justice: -ring- Ask him.

Xath: "You are referring to the portals located throughout the falcon kingdom? I know at least one gate exists to the north of the wall."

AB: He waves his hand in dismissal. "Gates. Literal gates. I know next to nothing of the portals you speak of."

Justice: "Would you bless us with what you *do* know of the portals? And, what more can you tell us of the actual gates in the wall?"

AB: The stones? They amplify teleportation magic, but can be used without it if powered correctly. They were once a network that covered the surface of Aeres, but as long as the ward stands, the stones in the north are isolated from those in the south, and vice versa. And the gates? They're simple gates, although nearly all are well defended. Men from the South must pass through the walls to battle my grandfather. With enough gold in the right hands, goods (and sometimes men) can pass through them from the North. Then, there are some places in the wall where few of even the King's men know of its passability. I swore I would not reveal the location of the one I know of, and so I cannot here, now.

L'Aurel: Having returned to her seat beside Jaine after Penny left, she finally interjects, "How deep does the wall go under ground... under water?"

AB: "Deep enough. None have crossed below the wall for a half-century. Your ward is healthy, and strong. The gates of which I speak were put their by the Wall's builders.

Justice: "Archonus Bluestar, you swore not to reveal the location of the gate you passed through... would you be able to reveal the location of a place near to the gate? ... very near to the gate?"

AB: "That would violate my oath in spirit, if not in name. No."

Justice: "It would be very convenient, if we are to go North, to know the location of at least one of the gates... or, at least, how to find one once we are near the wall."

AB: "It would, but I cannot grant it. Your cause concerns me, but not your convenience. Is that all you wish of me, my Queen?" he says, turning to Jaine.

L’Aurel: Ring* should we ask for the audience with the Bluestar? If we are to get his help we must ask soon, we must ask now.* Quickly following, Ring * should we push to see the bounds of his oath from him now as well? I would rather it from him who I trust more then the Bluestar.

Justice: Ring- Now is as good a time as any... I think he would be most receptive hearing these questions from his Queen, though.

L’Aurel: Looking to Jaine as AB's question goes un answered- ring* we are here for you, but we need answers. We will ask them if you wish, but justice is right- he may answer you*

Jaine: "Will you not tell your Queen?"

AB: "I will tell no one of the hidden gate. The others can be found without my aid. I am sorry, my lady, but I cannot share this – to break one oath would be to break them all, and my oaths are all that is left to me."

Justice: “What can you tell us of your oaths?"

AB: "That I keep them. All of them."

Justice: "I am well aware of that. But, do you know how important the terms of your oaths--especially the one to the Bluestar--are to this rebellion and the future of this kingdom, Archonus Bluestar?"

AB: "Enlighten me," he growls.

Justice: "For the Light, Archonus Bluestar... we are trying to have a civil conversation. There is no need for even moderate hostility." Shaking her head, she continues, "Archonus Bluestar, you could be an incredible asset to this rebellion... but, how are we to judge if we know not what we may ask you to do? How are we to plan if you will not give us the information we require? Your Queen carries the child of... not you... but someone very similar. The legitimacy of this throne is at stake and all you can do is curl up into your cold, dark shell and growl at us!" She huffs, "That is just a little impolite. I am trying quite hard to be very nice to you. Your master in the North may be our only chance to win this rebellion and you are his emissary--you have more information that we could ever hope to find in the all the books in all the libraries in all the world... can you please--if not for the sake of this rebellion—for the sake of your Love, tell us about your oath."

AB: His eyes widen at the mention of love. “The oath of which I just spoke is not to my master, but to another. It is for him that I cannot speak of the secret gate. Just as I cannot tell you, nor can I tell my master in the north. The terms were...stringent. There are gates through which the King's armies may march. They allow some materials - like armor and weapons - through, but still repel some of my grandfather's minions. Gyan is the only one of his kind that I know of that could pass, though I fear that if Grandfather knew of it, he too could pass it. But do not lecture me, Fairweather," he says coldly, "I have a walked a darker path than any of you could imagine, and I am confronted by a swaggering man who seems determined to *piss* on every bit of goodness in his life, his scowling face mirroring mine! He” he yells, pointing at Archonus, “has had love not once, but TWICE, and seems determined to throw both away for the sake of none! He walks in the light of thousands of adoring supplicants who see him as a hero, and still sees himself as a man given to darkness. I HAVE GIVEN MYSELF TO DARKNESS! I have paid an unimaginable price so that you...all of you...might live free of what could have been! I am his creature, his to do with as he pleases, and all that keeps my soul from the abyss itself is an oath made in a fool's moment! I give you what I can, but I can volunteer little.”

Xath: Xath looks straight into Archonus Bluestar's eyes. “What is it that might have been, Archonus? From what did you save us?"

AA: Archonus stays silent, apparently unmoved, still staring at AB.

AB: “Disaster. Nothing less. Nothing more.”

Xath: “What type of disaster?"

AB: “The end of all that we know. Much the same remains at risk, even now. I can speak no more of it so stop. asking."

L’Aurel: “Why can you not say? was that part of your pledge to him as well?"

AB: “In this, I keep my own counsel and none other. I will not tell you. Leave it, or you shall get nothing more from me."

L’Aurel: “What was your pledge your oath to him? exactly...."

Xath: Xath stares at him for a brief moment, and then nods. “Well then, let's move onto matters you can speak of. If we were to begin negotiations with the Bluestar, what would be some of his terms?"

AB: “I cannot tell you the terms of my...agreement...with my grandfather. Even if I could, I would not. There are lines I will not cross, and that is one. Allow me this much dignity. Xath, I cannot predict Grandfather's terms, but I know he is eager to arrange some sort of mutually beneficial terms between himself and Jaine."

Xath: “Such as...”

AB: “He seeks an ally south of the wall. For obvious reasons, the Falcon Kingdom could not and cannot be such. Your rebellion has offered him a second chance. He wishes to capitalize on that.”

Justice: Justice snorts a little, "A second chance at what, exactly?"

AB: "Nothing pleasant, I assure you. My grandfather's motives are as pure as mud.”

L’Aurel: "With his army able to go through the gate why does he need an ally in the south? Why not let his army sweep the land as he did in Sylvanus?"

Justice: "Can you give us something a little more specific? If you were your grandfather, what would *you* want from an alliance?"

AB: "You can speculate as well as I. If you have an offer, I will take it to him, but I am no more than a herald. As for the army, the gates are well-guarded by mercenaries, even now. It took some subterfuge to bring what forces I have at my command South. Hordes of the dead have not passed beyond Quarion's wall. Though there are places where men and weapons may pass, the dead remain trapped."

Justice: "You are always dodging the subject. I wish to hear what *you* think, Archonus Bluestar. What are *your* speculations?" A dry grin meets her lips, "You are, after all, so akin to darkness."

Xath: *ring - That's not funny, Justice.*

AB: "He'll want freedom, in exchange for helping you defeat Tain and the draconids. As we've already spoken of, he wants the spiritblades so that they can be destroyed."

Xath: "But what will he do with them before he destroys them..." Xath muses.

Justice: Shooting a glace at Xath *ring* "It may not be... but, someone has to lighten the mood in here... the tension between the Archonus' is making me sweat... and I have done enough of that this evening. Do you believe he will actually destroy them?"

AB: "I believe he wishes them destroyed, but I do not know the reason."

L’Aurel: *rings* Jaine he has an oath to you.

Jaine: *ring* "As I have heard. If this is *not* Archonus Arendorr, as he insists, how can he have an oath to me?"

Xath: *ring- He still has Archon's memories, up until a certain point, anyway...*

L’Aurel: Looking at Jaine, ring "ask him, I only have crazy thoughts... but if I'm right… Do you not feel him similar to how you felt- feel Arrendor? The only way is to ask him."

Justice: *ring* If you asked, maybe he would tell, your Majesty.

Jaine: *ring* "I will pursue personal matters when we have finished with the others. Please, continue as you will."

Justice: "What sort of freedom does the Bluestar want? There are so many levels... he cannot expect that we will allow his armies to run free in our kingdom."

AB: "I suspect that is precisely what he expects. You cannot win this war without him, and if you fail he remains safely fortified behind the wall. If you succeed, he will want a piece of that success. He wants the wall down, I can almost guarantee it."

Justice: Almost mumbling, "It would be foolish to allow the wall to come down while he still maintains his army. He will not have both freedom and troops." *Ring* - "Jaine, I do not wish to be rude... but, your personal matters, especially at this point, are everyone's personal matters."

AB: "I suspect that if he cannot have unfettered freedom, you will fight your war alone."

Jaine: *ring* "I will deal with them as necessary, but I will not simply offer myself. They will be dealt with, I assure you. If asked, I may agree for the kingdom, but I will not present myself like a common whore, nor will I be bullied into a marriage. I should think I have made that clear by now."

Justice: ring- Jaine, I would never ask you to do something like that. Never. I simply thought you could use your power over him to learn more information from him-- particularly about his oath to you. We all know of your relationship with Archonus... I simply hoped you could use your... womanly persuasion... to help us crack Archonus Bluestar's shell. He obviously still feels something for you... and that is an asset, at this moment.

L’Aurel: Never taking her eyes off Jaine, "We could give him a time for his release. Make him show some good will first perhaps?" *ring* "Jaine, my queen. I am not asking you to agree or even to mention the.. proposal we have set out yet. But we- your fighters and advisors must know where he lies on many issues. You can get those answers as we can not, by asking. That is all *we* are asking."

Jaine: Ring*: I'm sorry to have snapped before. I'll do my best. What would you know?

Justice: *ring - We need to know what the oaths entail--both to you and to the Bluestar... in order to know how he can serve our cause.

Jaine: *ring*: "I think he cannot reveal his oath to the Bluestar. As for the oath of fealty, as Archon knows, he must work toward the benefit of this throne, and obey the commands of his rightful queen...er...me."

Justice: *ring - Well, let us find out what he would do if the two oaths conflict. Looking up from her mumbling, "Is there no other way he would be likely to help us?"

AB: "None that I can speculate upon. If you have an offer, I will take it to him. I have guessed as you asked me to - but I am just guessing. If you wish to know more, you must meet with him. But even then, I urge you caution."

L’Aurel: "With all he has personally done to change most of our lives, I doubt much caution is needed. Though his twisted words will be fun to untangle. If we did want to set up such a meeting how you deliver the message?"

AB: “I would need passage of some sort to Oceanus. From there, I'd cross the wall. Messages travel quickly once in the North.”

L'aurel: “And you'd take the sword back. So we would loose two precious... items just to have a chat with him. No.”

Justice: "I do not believe it wise for you to go alone. I think that, if you will be negotiating on our behalf, we should be present."

AA: meanwhile Archonus maintains his steely glare with his arms crossed low so his fingers can graze the hilts of his blades.

AB: "I would still need to travel in order to arrange a meeting. Near Sylvanus, say? Though I am not the Marquis, I am sure he could offer you his hospitality."

Xath: *ring- It would be nice to go home again.*

Justice: *ring - We can travel no where without a solid list of our demands... and what we are willing to give.

L’Aurel: *Ring* “No one said we should rush out right now, and actually we have not actually agreed to anything this is all hypothetical.”

Jaine: *ring* We can work them out before we meet, but you are right. We must meet with him. Or, you must."

AB: "What of it, Archonus? Will you grant the hospitality of your father's house?"

AA: Archonus leans forward staring at AB and with a cold voice bulging with restraint he speaks for the first time since the beginning of this meeting. "Do you mean the house my father was slaughtered within? Do you mean the house from which the Bluestar took my sister? Do you mean the house that you have claimed by force of arms? Is this the house you speak of?"

Xath: Xath freezes and waits for the proverbial fecal matter to hit the rotating oscillator.

AB: "I mean the house that you grew up in. I mean the house in which your father was killed by agents of the King, I mean the house from which *Tain's* agents took your sister. And yes, I mean the house in the city that I have claimed through force of arms. But the house remains unclaimed - don't let your pride blind you, Archonus. I have taken nothing from you - not even taken what you have thrown away like stinking refuse" he finishes, stealing a glance at the Queen.

AA: growling and standing up from his chair, "Give me one reason why I should believe an agent of such a vile evil, and then give me one reason why I should let that agent live." With that, Archon's grip on "Loss" tightens.

Xath: *ring* “Because right now he holds information that we need. And right now we need al of the information we can get. You cannot kill him because we are in the midst of diplomatic negotiations with the one force that may allow us to win this war. No one here likes it, Archonus. But we are managing to be civil.*

AB: "Truly your arrogance has blinded you! Because that 'agent' speaks the truth. Ask my...your...sister! Did she speak of agents of the Bluestar? Was she enslaved and tortured by his hand? Was she sent back to you as an agent of his? Of mine!? No. She came here under Tain's power, doing his work. If you cannot pull yourself from your self-righteous shadow, then strike me down. But know that you destroy your every hope with me."

Jaine: *ring* "Archonus! What are you doing? He's spoken no lies to us!"

AA: Still staring at AB, Archonus draws Loss slowly. "I will not allow the ones I love to be deceived by a herald of the Bluestar."

L’Aurel: tenses half without sound half rise from her chair when Arhconus’ blade is drawn. “You can not kill him! He has only spoken truth, and he has already helped us and is willing to help us again!”

Xath: Xath stands, maneuvering herself so that she stands in front of Archonus Arendorr. “Archonus...please...sit down. Let us have at least one hour of peace this evening."

AB: "Is it that your friends can see something that you cannot? Or that they see something that you *will* not?" He appears to make no move to defend himself.

L'Aurel: She tenses and without sound rises from her chair when Archonus' blade is drawn. "You can not kill him! He has only spoken truth, and he has already helped us and is willing to help us again!”

AA: Archonus DRIVES the blade deep into the table. "But i can not force them to see as i do." Looking to the queen he bows, "Forgive me for my outburst. I am your faithful soldier and will follow any order given. I am concerned though my lady that not all options are being explored."

Jaine: "Speak, then. What options are not being explored? Shall we discuss them now, or wait until we have finished with your...twin."

AA: I say we gather the forces we have and along with mercenaries purchased from the North, we march on Caer Albion and break the seige. I think this victory may win us many allies once loyal to the queen, including the Talons of the Falcon Kingdom. Also a victor here may set a spark within the hearts of the people of the kingdom. A spark of rebellion that will grow into a fire and draw them to our banner. Let the kings been turn on his evil and join us. If we can rally the people of the kingdom we may have a chance. And it's a safer chance then unleashing the undead hordes of the north upon the kingdom so they may kill everything in sight. Yes, they may eliminate the draconid threat but what else may we lose? I am not willing to trade one evil tyrant for another.

AB: "The mercenaries hold the wall while the Army of the Watch moves...elsewhere. Remove them, and you have essentially given my grandfather the keys to the kingdom. If you deal with him, he will at least be bound by his words. Why not get both? Surely a leashed tiger is better than a free one?"

Jaine: "Your motives are clear, Archonus, and your concerns valid. But I fear that what you hope to gain will not be enough, if taken alone. Nor, I am sad to say, are any of them guaranteed - or even likely - to help us."

AA: We will not be able to control the Bluestar. Leave him in his cage. Let the war FOR the living be faught BY the living.”

AB: "Do you - do we - have that luxury? The dead already march at the head of Tain's armies. If you use the mercenaries that you hope to gain, the wall will be unmanned, and my grandfather will batter it down as the South fights its war. If you do not accept his aid, in whatever form he offers it, you will be no less at his mercy than the rest of the Falcon Kingdom. Who can this benefit? I am sworn to the Bluestar, as is well known, but I am no less sworn to Jaine's service than you, Archonus Arendorr. If the house of Rhynn is to sit a rightful throne, to rule more than a kingdom of ashes and flame, you *must* ally yourselves with him."

AA: We can't afford to take all of the mercanaries anyway, the wall will not be left unmanned.

Justice: "Which is exactly why we must ally with him, Archon."

AB & Jaine: Simultaneously, AB and Jaine say, "She's right."

Jaine: They look at each other for a moment, and then Jaine continues, "We'll need your mercenaries, but they will not be enough. Not alone."

AB: "Nor," says AB, "Should you depend on the King's men. Few will see your fight as one of survival. For most, you are as yet a rebellion capitalizing upon an invasion to make your claim."

L’Aurel: "Archonus, listen to them, please. We need all the help we can get at this point. We are continuing to gather what forces we can, but they still will not be enough for what we will face. We lasted the battle here only because we got a small portion of what was in Oceanus, and this is but a small fraction of Tain's total forces. You were part what brought the black orcs to us, but even with them our losses were staggering. Each time we fight we lose more of our army. In order to have a hope of the future after Tain, we have to make it through this first part. I would rather hope for a good bright future for future generations, but if we loose now they will have no future at all. We would be hedging a great bet with the bluestar, but through his.. supplies we can last through one enemy at least. As your... twin" using what Jaine coined, "said if we deplete all the forces from around the wall he will just bid his time still being released and still moving toward his his own goals. But then the world has no choice but to bow between two great evils. By possibly making a deal we can possibly curve some of those objectives, and give us hope. Real lasting hope.”

Jaine: Jaine nods thoughfully. "Well spoken, L'Aurel

AA: Archonus bows his head slightly to Jaine, "As always it is your decision to make your highness. I have faith that we can win this war without turning to evil for aid." He looks around the room to everyone for a moment with hopeful eyes. Then he casts his gaze down at the ground a sadness welling up within him. "But apparently I am alone."

Justice: Looking to Archonus A., Justice sighs, "It is not pleasing... but, if we are to win, Archonus, it is the only way."

AA: He looks at Justice, still saddened. "It is not the only way. You just have to have faith."

Justice: "In an overwhelming war against overwhelming forces: Faith, though I wish it was, is not enough. The Light touches this world, Archonus, but only indirectly. We cannot depend on the forces of the divine in this battle. We must fight force with force... and, if we are to do that, we need the Bluestar. I have Faith in our cause, Archonus... however, our means with which to persue that cause are far too limited to attempt to achieve anything outside of destruction. Faith alone cannot win this war... Faith in combination with ruthless tactics will."

L’Aurel: “Faith that a few hundred farmers and merchants with a few mercenaries, and a few soldiers will win against Tain's thousands? And his number grows dramatically while we struggle for a hundred. Can you tell us honestly that you think we can win we can truly crush Tain's forces with what we have and the few we can go to and may get? Or is it more the faith that no deal with Aregonn Bluestar could be good?”

AA: What I believe is irrelevant. You will deal with the Bluestar, with or without my agreement. I only pray for the sake my children that you do not leave them a damned world.

Jaine: Jaine, coldly: "Your children have no small part of our considerations, Archonus. You speak of faith as if all of us have abandoned it. But faith alone cannot sustain us. What do you expect? An army of angels to appear unbidden in the sky, ready to fight this war *for* us?"

AB: At that, AB's eyes widen and his jaw drops, but he says nothing.

L’Aurel: Looking over at Xath perplexed, through the rings, "That's a strange reaction. We have proposed far more outlandish ideas then that."

Justice: "If we do not deal with him now, he will be an even larger threat for our children, Archonus. Do not treat me as if I am not considering the fate of future generations." Fire sparks in her eyes, but her voice remains calm, "It is all I think about. Do not accuse us," gesturing to everyone in the room, "of being inconsiderate of what our repercussions our actions will bring. Archonus, I want you to think for just a moment what a war will be like for our new nation against the forces of the Bluestar if we manage to win this rebellion. Think about it, Archonus. You tell me what it would be like to fight him then."

Xath: Xath looks over towards L'Aurel and shrugs slightly. "None of us likes the idea of dealing with the Bluestar, Archonus." She gestures towards Archonus Bluestar. "I get the impression that even he does not like associating with him. But sometimes we have to put aside our hatreds and our personal bias in order to do what is best for the greater good. Tain's forces outnumber us astronomically and they continue to grow every day. The only other force in this kingdom that can give us the numbers we need is the Bluestar." Her voice starts to quaver, as an unusual display of anger shows through. "And don't you dare try to insinuate that any of us likes our situation. But we are putting aside our bias long enough at least to consider the possibility that this may be the best hope for survival. We are not saying that we need a permanent alliance with the Bluestar. In fact it may happen that we go straight from this war into the next. But at least through this, we are weakening his forces, so that if the time comes, we may stand a chance. You...want...to...redeem...him. This may give you that chance. Can't you see we are trying to save this kingdom?! We are not suggesting that we hand these people over to the Bluestar on a platter. But we are at least acknowledging that he may help us save them. Here, the ends must justify the means. We cannot afford to have that kind of idealism when the world is at stake. I would rather get my hands dirty and save the world, than lose it to Tain's forces and say that I followed my moral code. I did not come back from the dead so that I could pussyfoot around this situation. We need to take action, and this is our best chance."

Jaine: "Somewhat surprisingly, your sentiments echo my own. Preparations must begin for a meeting. Archonus Bluestar - are you alone able to arrange such a thing?"

AB: "I am."

AA: Archonus, looking at Xath, "Then take it. I can not persuade you otherwise."

Justice: "Archonus... You believe so firmly in what you say... but, will you answer my question? Think hard and answer it truthfully."

AB: AB snorts with laughter. "Persuade? You have not even attempted. Even I would tell you to fight this war alone if I thought it would end in anything other than your deaths, or worse. I have stood in on the axis of a thousand futures, and I tell you truly that this is the only way. You don't persuade, Archonus. You berate. When events do not turn to your liking, you retreat behind a shield of conjured shadow, hiding fear and self-loathing behind an unneeded mask. I'll say no more, if you wish, Archonus. Persuade them. Tell them of a war that is POSSIBLE, and not just one that comes fully formed from your dreams."

Since we went back in time to ask and answer questions it doesn’t exactly work, but this is where it started….. also we added but OOC stuff that made what was said IC ridiculous… so anything not specifically stated as OOC was added.

AA: to Justice, "Assuming the Bluestar could break free of his prison a war with him as a young nation would be hard but not impossible. we'd be fighting him with a battle- hardened force and with an aggressiveness born from fighting for one's own land."

"Do you believe that we fight without that agressiveness, now? Think of everyone that fights with us, Archonus! Think of what they have lost! We fight with that agressiveness now and there is *no way* we could possibly win a war fought against the Bluestars forces, currently! If we win this rebellion, as we lick our wounds, do you think that the Bluestar would sit idly by and *not* take advantage of that?"
Justice: "If we do not ally with him now, I do not doubt that he would take the opportunity to attack us while we still fight the king. After all, who is more vulnerable than the one that is already engaged in a full scale war?" She sighs and answers her own question, "But someone just finished fighting that war. Give me a justification to believe that, if we do not ally with him now, he will not attack us while we are busy with the king! Give me more than the assurance that we will fight 'with the aggressiveness born from fighting from one's own land, Archonus. I want to deal with the Bluestar as little as you... However, until the dissent gives me more than concepts, I cannot ignore the logic behind fighting with him now--give me solid reasons and I will gladly side with you..."

AA: With hidden disgust, "Then follow your logic Duchess, and I will follow my faith."
And then as if pleading to everyone, “Faith is not something you abandon because it is illogical, faith is having the strength to believe when all information points against it. I have faith not only in our ability to lead these people to victory but in the people themselves. Yes we are outnumbered, yes we are outgunned, and no I don't have an answer that will sound good to any of you. I only ask that you not fall into His hands, that you believe in yourselves and the people of this young, strong-hearted nation. You say you do not wish to deal with the Bluestar yet none of you will try as hard to find another way as you have tried to negotiate a deadly alliance with Him. Actions defines one's beliefs, not words. And I do not wish to deal with the Bluestar unless it is to end His Tyranny."

Justice: "Archonus! You completely mistake my meaning. I am *trying* to have Faith in what you speak of. I am *trying* to side with you. However, I do need at least one reason to do so. While all of our circle has overlooked your argument, I turn to you and ask for an explanation because I truly desire to stand with you in your dissent... and you have only thrown it in my face, Archonus."

L’Aurel: Softly, glaring towards Justice, "None of us has overlooked nor brushed aside his comments, cousin. We have all asked for more understanding, more...something. I have faith and trust in the Light. I have faith that all things can be good, that I must believe. You seem ready to side with anyone else- any other evil, but Aregonn... why is he the only one that we can not gain aide from?"

AA: "The reason you ask for Justice is simple, He is evil and will betray you. But I think deep down you already know. The truth is I have already offered my reasons not to side with him. From here you either believe n me or you don't."

Jain: "No one here 'does not believe in you,' Archonus. Not even I. But you ask us not to believe in you, but to believe in armies that do not exist, to believe in weapons heretofore unfound."

Justice: Justice nods at the queens words. "Archonus, we are generals... not preachers. We must look at things from the perspective of military leaders. Can you propose a different course of action that would not prove fatal to our rebellion? If so, please, say it now."

AA: We skip fighting a war we cannot win then. We go straight to the source if our strife. We attack Tain.

Justice: "THERE... THAT is a start! Tell me, Archonus--How would that help?"

AA: Without Tain to lead them not only would the Snake that is the draconid force loose it's head but we would gain a kingdom which is kingless.

Jaine: "But how? Do you suppose he sits upon his throne, unguarded? That he simply waits for the first assassin to march in after him?"

Justice: Shaking her head, "I am positive that Tain has prepared for an assassination. Moreover, I think that whatever evil he has allied himself with will simply find another puppet to master. It may cause momentary confusion... but, it cannot last long."
AA: "If Tain was unimportant I do not think he would be so well guarded. Something about a choice he made or the blood in his veins makes him important, also if we kill the king they loose a major puppet, if he is one at all. Who else can rival the importance of the king. But to get to him we would need one hell of a distraction." Looking around the room, "We'd need to siege Thanesport."

Justice: "From all we've learned, it seems that Tain is simply carrying the seed of some evil... if he is killed, I get this strange feeling that the seed will be implanted somewhere else."

Jaine: "How in the name of the Light would we siege Thanesport!?"

Justice: Justice's jaw drops, "And how, pray tell, do you propose we do THAT?!"

AA: To Justice, "But they are still losing their King. and if the seed springs up again we chop it down again." To Jaine with sadness in his voice, "Taking Thanesport would not be the objective of the seige. It would merely serve as a distraction so that the Circle may infiltrate Thanesport and kill the king." To all, "But no matter what we do, we need to save Caer Albion first."

Jaine: "Objectives aside, how would you achieve any of this without the duplicity of the Bluestar? We cannot besiege Thanesport without an army."
AA: "I would give you an army. The defenders of Caer Albion as well as Mercenaries from the north."

Justice: "So, we stage a battle on a city full of innocents? We FIGHT the kings men that we hope to persuade to join our cause? We tell our army to kill the defenders of Thanesport for the sake of killing an evil that could just as easily spring up again? Archonus, the death of innocents is not worth Taine's head on a platter.” Shaking her head again, " I truly want to side with you, Archonus. I want to believe that Faith alone will win this war... but, I simply cannot. We are each trained to be military generals. And, this is not a militarily sound plan."

AA: Perhaps we need not fight at all in Thanesport, if we can show our sincerity to help in Caer Albion we may be able to convince Thanesport to surrender. or if need be we might just have to go after Tain alone, as the Circle.

Jaine: "They would abandon their city to besiege another? They would no more do so than I would abandon Hyrwl. I have my doubts."

In silent thought, Justice furrows her brow. "No, Archonus. This is
not possible. Not now, at least."

Justice: "However, please, Archonus-- do not shove this aside. Do not think that your opinion goes unheard. Once we have moved on from this point, taking that trip to Thanesport may be possible. However, it is not the big threat, now... The Isle and Caer Albion are."
AA: “Doubts happen, but can be cast aside by victory and confidence. If we win at Caer Albion the world we sees our true motives. And the king would have to answer for his inactions.”

Jaine: "We are well aware that the King must be brought to justice, but there are preparations that must be made, and many battles to be one before we can consider such a thing! Furthermore, just as I know that this rebellion would not - can not - die with me, so too do I know that the Falcon Kingdom would not collapse after the death of their ruler."

AA: “Forget the Isle, without Tain the blades are of little consequence. After we save Caer Albion we go to Thanesport. Are men don't even have to fight they just need to show up. That should provide us enough distraction to sneak into Thanesport and remove Tain. If we kill Tain we could negotiate with the Noble's Council and replace the king and thus the kingdom with you, my queen, thus bringing peace between our factions so we may focus on battling the Draconids.

Justice: "Removing Tain does not remove the threat, Archonus! He is under the rule of something greater... some darker, stronger evil. We have known this from some time. I, for one, would much rather fight the Bluestar for the blades than Tain. Especially a Bluestar weakened by war. I cannot speak for certain, but it seems that Tain has been eliminating the nobles on his council. There may be no one left to negotiate with."

AA: There is always somebody left to negotiate with and if not then even better we just declare Jaine as queen and offer to remove the Draconid force.

Jaine (quietly): Archonus, the Noble's council will not place me upon the Falcon throne. I have my doubts that I will live to see another winter, even if they would."

L'Aurel: She remains intent on the conversation still not speaking just listening touches Jaine's arm at this. Trying to offer comfort... to understand.

Jaine: "Are the blades of little consequence without Tain? Truly, why would the Bluestar have offered so much if they were not worth *something* apart from Tain's desire."

Justice: "Well, Archonus, if you wish to attempt to negotiate with Mordred or whatever evil is in cahoots with Tain, you do that. Now, I think it is necessary to fight the fights we know most about. The assassination of Tain achieves nothing... and we cannot be certain of the consequences. With the Bluestar, at least we can make an agreement that is for sure. The Falcon Kingdom no longer operates logically, Archonus. It is ruled by pure evil and there is no usurping that throne without completely defeating every remnant of it. An assassination is not enough to do that."

AA: But Tain is the true corruption, if we can kill him we can barter for peace with those ranking in the Falcon Kingdom who are not corrupt. We can stop fighting the Falcon Kingdom and the Draconids and start fighting just the Draconids.

Jaine: "Only if the corruption is still small. Tain has sit upon the throne for seven years. I fear that what we win, we must win my conquest. Both must be fought, for they are one in the same. When I declared this a *phoenix* kingdom, I chose my words carefully. The Kingdom of the Falcon has a cancer, and removing the most obvious part will not make it go away. We have slept too long, and been too placant for that. We might find allies in the ashes of the Falcon kingdom, but the war cannot be reduced to such simple things, Archonus."

Justice: "But there is no one that is *not* corrupt to negotiate with. Do you believe that anyone in the palace is not evil? You have seen the men and women he surrounds himself with! He is completely surrounded with his supporters and, if Tain is killed we have a whole new battle fight! He has assumed a position of complete tyranny and he has a plan for a situation just like this... I am not saying I do not want him dead... because I do--badly. However, Archonus, you do not seem to understand that if he is killed, the war will have only begun. His supporters will be rooted out of every hole in the kingdom and they will rise up against us. I have suspicions that the Kinawis are still
active-- supporters of Mordrid that have remained in hiding for hundreds of years. If we assassinate Tain now, we risk having to fight a war with them as well as the draconids... Not to mention the threat of the Bluestar stabbing us in the back while we have our hands full with all of this! And, as I have said, there is no bartering with this evil. We are much more likely to strike up a deal with the Bluestar than we are to strike up a deal with these people. If it was possible, we should be able to march to them now and demand negotiations. I thought for a moment that it would be possible to fight this war in
a different way. I hoped, I prayed that you would be able to provide us with an option that would prove to be our salvation... but, Archonus, I fear a deal with the Bluestar is the only way."

AA: But it is not the only way, it is simply the way you think will lead to victory. If we kill Tain we CAN replace him with the Queen. Tain's corruption does not run so deep that it touches the hearts of every man, woman and child. The Nobles may be corrupt. If they are corrupt because of the Shadow path then we end their missery but if they are simply sided with the king for material reasons then they, like their people would be willing so negotiate to end a war on two fronts. Also if we can negotiate with Jansten's people. They provide a distraction to keep the Bluestar busy and we can offer them troops, mercenaries we'd hire from the north, and a leader that knows as much of the north as of the Bluestar himself.

Jaine: "What is the use of pursuing 'another way' if we cannot believe that it will lead to victory!? You would see out children dead and damned. If I must choose, I would choose to see them damned, alone!"

Justice: "My friends, we are pushed against a wall. Options outside of negotiations with the Bluestar are possible, true. However, the fact remains that achieving the bulk of our goals requires us to negotiate with him. I do not like the idea, but I am willing to admit the necessity. I am willing to accept that we cannot do this alone if we expect this war to be won. Making a deal with the Bluestar is not appealing... but, sometimes necessity outweighs principal. The options you present are fine, indeed, Archonus. However, they are options that needed to be explored before we decided to win back Oceanus; before we stationed the rebellion here in Hyrwl. I will not say that those decisions were wrong... but now, we accept the consequences of our actions and move on. Your plan has merit, Archonus... but, it will not win this war... it will simply cause us to flounder in a sea of what-if's. We promised to win this war at any cost... and now, the time has come to uphold that promise. It puts a foul taste in my mouth, but it is time to head North. We simply must decide what we are willing to give him for his service." Taking a deep breath, Justice looks to Jaine, "Your thoughts, my Queen?"

Xath: I feel that both plans have valid arguements. So I think we should combine the ideas. We go north to Sylvannus and make arrangements with the Bluestar. These will hopefully include getting many of the mercenaries off the wall. We hire these mercenaries and use them to defend Caer Albion; use the bluestar's forces on Mordred's Isle. This weakens the Bluestar's forces signifigantly, and it means that his
troops die on the Isle instead of ours. We negotiate with the mercenaries to help us below the wall, citing the weakening forces of the Bluestar's troops on Mordred's Isle; ie.
getting him to do our dirty work. We make arrangements to help them overthrow him after the draconids and tain are dealt with. (Our agreement with the bluestar should only span the length of the war. We don't want a permanent alliance) While the mercenaries and Jansten's rebellion defend Caer Albion, we use the time to search the city for the spirit blades. Once those are found, we protect them, then join the fight on the walls of Caer Albion. Once the battle is won, we use Archon's ideas to gain support among the capitol city. We then travel to Thanesport, and here a bit of trickery comes into play. The Bluestar's forces seige Thanesport. The circle infiltrates the capitol city and assassinates the king. Then, the Army of the Phoenix comes in and "saves" the city from the seige, gaining support amongst the Noble's Council, because we just saved them from the Bluestar. We then begin a purge of the corrupt from the Noble's Council, and from Tain's former advisors. Jaine is Queen of the kingdom, and we use the unified army of the Kingdom to route out the rest of the draconids. Here, we need some delicate public face. The Bluestar "redeems" himself by offering his assistance to purge the kingdom of the draconids, which is something he wants to do anyway. Because the kingdom is so outnumbered, we sign a non-agression pact for the duration of the fight against the draconic hoardes. During this time, certain people who actually want to redeem the Bluestar will have their chance. In the end, if he is redeemed, we have cake and a party. I'll bring the hats. If not, we take the war to the north and redeadify the bluestar with a certain air of finality. This would make Archonus Bluestar the King of the North. If he were to marry Jaine, this would reunite Eiren with the Falcon Kingdom, causing a rebirth, and thus the Phoenix Kingdom.

Justice: I believe that this has been our plan for the past month... I could be wrong... but, it was Justice's... not the specifics about Thanesport because I don't think we should attack Thanesport until we've done several diplomatic missions and recruited guards and some of the king's men to our side. We do not want to lay attack Thanesport until the last possible moment... think of all the innocent men that will die simply defending their posts from the people the king has told them are the enemy. We need to get as many of them on our side so that, when we do attack, they can help us out. But, this is something to be worked out later. However, this still leaves us with the question: What are we willing to give up to get Big Blue to fight with us? We aren't going to be able to offer him cake and hats. He does like feeling pretty. We need to know EXACTLY what we are going to offer him before we start our little adventure.

Xath: I offered it up as a compromise; I don't mean to claim that it is "my idea." If you look at the plan, the probability is that it spans quite a bit of time. So by the time we get to seiging Thanesport, it *is* the right time. It doesn't hurt us to plan out ahead of time. As for what to offer the Bluestar, you're one of the main people to want to organize with him. I would think you would have ideas. I can estimate as to what he'd want, and in fact I have done so on the boards. As for the seige on Thanesport, it wasn't designed for the Bluestar's men to attack the city. They would be a distraction for the assassination, and then we would drive them away with our awesome heroic powers. The only time in which the Bluestar's forces would engage would be if the draconids attack, or if the guards leave the city to make a preemptive strike, which would be very stupid of them.
Hopefully the takeover of Thanesport would be accomplished with as little bloodshead as possible.

Justice: I have plenty of ideas as to what to offer the Bluestar. However, I alone cannot come up with it. What are all of you willing to give up? Are you willing to grant him freedom? That's what he's going to want. And, if you aren't, we are going to need something damn skippy to offer in return. I offered up my suggestion: give him his freedom... so long as he disarms... but, for that to work Jaine and AA or AB need to get married in order to tie their lines and make the deal look more attractive to him. Moreover, he is not going to agree to a limited alliance... that's just silly. So, we need to work terms into it that he is sure to break or make sure that Justice isn't in the room then you promise to be his ally forever... because she certainly isn't going to turn her back on her formal word unless he breaks his. So, what is everybody elses view on the matter? What are you willing to give up? How would you appease him?

Xath: In the event that the Bluestar holds true to his word, we must make an alliance which will be acceptable to both parties, even after the conclusion of the war. After all, the kingdom has existed with the Bluestar for over 1000 years. We need to find a way to maintain the alliance without sacrifice of life

Justice: I completely agree. How? What do you think would work best? What
are you willing to give up that would make him agree to an alliance?
Xath: Certainly not "Oberon's last daughter." And I feel that giving him
his freedom will make coexisting extremely difficult after the war.
Perhaps if there were a way that he could be somehow connected to the
throne of the Phoenix Kingdom.......

Jaine: "Kaereth seems to have fallen asleep. L'Aurel, you must lend us your voice. Will we seek the aid of the Bluestar? From there, we may choose specifics. Justice, Archonus, and Xath have spoken."

L'Aurel: "Taking out Tain, if at the right moment could be our best surprise. He may have layers of those loyal to him, but if he suddenly dies there will be chaos at least for a short time. This is something that should be done, but at a time when we can use that time of chaos to our advantage, not waste it stalling. If we but wait till after Caer Albion we may have even more support. Support we can use to over ride the council. Support to manage that chaos to our advantage. As for an agreement with the bluestar. Aregonn can aid us now, but what price will it be. He will ask for freedom we know that. Can we give it to him? Conditionally, yes we will have to. It is the only thing we hold that he wants. A condition that could be offered is this: For his help now on the isle and elsewhere, once this war is over he agrees to not invade Jaine's territory. That is all. He would remain the King of the North, but he will be free of the wall. He will be allowed to trade and travel through both lands, just as we will his. While in Jain's land he will have to abide by her laws, to break them is to break the pact. If he lives through this war and stays in his alotted area then the two kingdoms can live in at least a semblance of peace. If he asks for more then his current Northern area we should be ready to conceed as much as one quarter of the land in Jaine's future northern territories. But no more. If he breaks the pact, we will know how to act. He will know it as well. If we are weak when this ends he will break that pact, but there is always hope he will not. Only time will tell on that score. If we gain the two blades in Caer Albion, one can go North to join Igoshi and the any others he holds. The other we keep- we hide. We put it in a lead chest and bury it far into the southlands. We will need a bargaining chip later. We must have something. We trade the last sword only to see them all destroyed, he will never get his hands on all of them. He must not. Just as he is the less of two evils for us, we are the lest strong of two possible enemies for him. We both have things to gain and to lose."
Jaine: "Then we will ally with him, but our terms must be strict. I suggest: If there's no other way, Jaine will marry AB, so long as her children are separated. That's a last resort trade, however. It should be offered ONLY as an absolute last resort. She's willing to grant the Bluestar freedom, so long as, once the war is one, he makes no claim on lands beneath the Wall. The physical wall stays up, even if the Ward must come down. If the Bluestar *is* to be allowed to claim lands in the South, he cannot have Sylvanus. That is already Jaine's territory, and if she'd dividing the world, she doesn't want to lose it. The alliance with the Bluestar should be permanent. He can have his kingdom, and she shall have hers. If provoked, the phoenix kingdom will defend itself. Vigorously. Likewise, if the Phoenix Kingdom attacks the Bluestar without provocation, he may defend himself. The blades are to be destroyed by the Bluestar. If a spiritblade is found to exist after supposedly being destroyed, it would be considered an act of war. The dead may cross the barrier from the North for the duration of the war with Tain, but at the end of the war, they will either be destroyed, or sent back North. Any undead found after the war will be destroyed, and will be considered an act of war. If asked, the Bluestar can be allowed to trade with the South, and vessels from the South with the North. However, any of his vessels firing upon vessels of the Queen will be an act of war. That's what I can come up with for give and take.

Justice: “I guess, I don't know what he could do if he got all the blades... But, for now, I would say that we deliver them to him and, if he does not destroy them, we consider it an act of war.

L’Aurel: We keep one. There is a reason Tain wants all of them. Why just hand them all to him, we have a bargaining chip we get to keep one and we tell him where the others ones still not found are.

Jaine: I guess it won't hurt to ask when you bargain. What happens if he says no?

L’Aurel: Then he will have to be okay with us keeping the knowledge of where the blades are and hope we can get there in time before Tain does. It works to his advantage to let us keep one for a while, unless he is planning on keeping one. We already have to worry about getting all the others back from Tain or his minions. if he can not trust us that much, then why should we trust him even further? He has to be willing to have some give and take. As for just hoping he destroys them all. everyone believed Oberon destroyed all the spirit blades years and years and years ago.. yet here they are again since two weren't destroyed. We will have no way of knowing unless he lets us snoop around with the amulet in his Northern territory after the war is over.

Jaine: So maybe that will have to be codified, as well?
Justice: We are simply keeping it until they can all be destroyed. Additionally, we need to mandate that we are there when he destroys the blades.

L’Aurel: Exactly.

Since we went back in time to ask and answer questions it doesn’t exactly work, but this is where it ended…..

L’Aurel: Trying to get back on track, “You said you needed to travel North to arrange this. I would ask that we travel with you, or be your transport. If our Queen agrees first that is. And if you must go into the North is the blade that we traded to be left or it goes with you North back to his hands?”

AB: "The blade you 'traded' was never meant to stay here, as you ought to remember. I offered it as a temporary stopgap, but the blade comes with me.” Turning to Jaine, he says, "And I would prefer that as I make arrangements to meet, that I be allowed to travel alone. Simply arrange my transport to Sylvanus, and I will do all I can from there. If your circle must accompany me, I would ask they come no further than Sylvanus. The less time spent above the wall, or even near it, the better."

AA: "I am not a politician nor a spinner of tales. I speak my mind and I speak what I believe to be Truth. But I AM entitled to my own opinions. I have earned that much. No matter what mistakes I've made in the past, no matter how little is thought of me, I have earned a voice and I am using it. I have been heard. And I grow tired of your assumptions of equality. You are not on equal footing with me, no matter our appearance. You are at best my enemy. Now please, we came here to make a plan to save the people of Caer Albion. Let's not keep them waiting."

AB: "You either trust me or you do not. I will go alone."

Xath: Do we have your word that when you return, the blade will still function as the lichlord's phylactery?

L’Aurel: ring-If we travel with him we can meet with the other groups- the
mercenaries and Jansten's group. As Archonus has said Caer Albion can
not wait and we must talk to them first.

AB: to Xath “I cannot make any guarantee. I can only say that while you meet with my grandfather, you will not be harmed.”

Xath: “Remember that you are not our ransom, Archonus Bluestar. The blade, and what is contained within, is what held us to our agreement. A break in that faith now does not bode well for any future negotiations.” Xath turns to Jaine and AB. "Shall we all go to Sylvannus then? Or shall one of us just take you now to set up a meeting?"

AB: "The blade was never meant to remain here, merely to reflect our preliminary trust. To try to keep it here would be a breech of faith on your parts. I offered this blade as a temporary solution, and so it has been. But it is not safe here, and thus cannot remain here without me."

Xath: “So you would leave with our ransom, and have us know that when you return, it may not coincide with the conditions of our agreement?”

AB: "The conditions of our agreement have been met, and followed to the letter. If I am to arrange a meeting for another agreement, I must travel. The blade must travel with me. I ask you to release me to act on your behalf. If you cannot, we are at an impass."

Xath: Xath turns to look at Jaine.

L’Aurel: "If we go as far as Sylvanus with you then we at least that has been met. From there we can see how Sylvanus holds and has been treated. And only when you return can we know for sure if we truely can even meet with him, meet with Aregonn Bluestar. If the blade is changed, the deal would be off." looking toward Jaine questioningly to see her thoughts.

Jaine: "Though I approved the initial negotiations, I was not privy to their details. Please leave us, Archonus Bluestar. I have not given my leave for you to travel. But I bid you to stay near, for we may need you again. I would discuss this with the circle, alone."

AB: AB leaves unless someone stops him.

Jaine: After he leaves... "Can we risk losing our hold on that infernal thing?"

Xath: If it were up to Archonus Bluestar, I might be inclined to say yes. But without a written contract, I would not trust the bluestar any further than I could spit.

L’Aurel: "We never did and will not truly ever hold it. Aregonn lends it to us, but only if Arhconus Bluestar holds and wields it. By Aregonn’s thoughts that his blade is safer here then any of the others should make us think if that is not because it can not be made to do anything. If it holds his soul who knows what else it can do, to save it self or to save it's master."

Jaine: "He will not relinquish the blade, and I have my doubts that we could protect it, even if he would. We need this meeting. It might be possible for you to accompany him to Sylvannus, but I would not have you go further."

Xath: As much as I may wish to travel to Sylvannus, what of the people of Caer Albion? What will be done for them while we tarry up north?

Jaine: "Then you must negotiate quickly. I would suggest that Archonus's mercenaries be summoned while you wait, but their leaving the wall may be a necessary part of negotiations with the Bluestar. I need suggestions."

L’Aurel: The thing with Mercenaries is they always want something, so does Tain currently pay them to stand on the wall?

Jaine: "There is no question that the mercenaries must be dealt with. The only question is when. I know that they are paid to stand upon the wall, and to fight above it in better times. I simply cautioned against reaching a deal with them too soon - we must not tip our hand to the Bluestar to soon. Part of our offer to him may be to remove the wall's guardians, thus freeing ourselves of the burden of freeing him ourselves? I cannot guarantee that things would happen that way - but if the Mercenaries leave before or while we deal with the Bluestar, I fear that we will have lost an important bargaining chip."

L’Aurel: Can we not send the shadows to scout in Caer Albion? We need to know more from there before we race in anyways. Then if we get the mercineries to agree to help us we can quickly get information to them and already be starting on the next stage instead of just then trying to scout. The Bluestar agreement must be made first, or we talk to the others and tell them to hold action till they are called. Even Jansten's group in North we can get a message to after we meet with them. By talking to them first we know what bargaining chips we have. The only other option is for Arhconus Bluestar to go to his master and we try to sneak on the island and steal the blades. Hoping it would
take a day at the most, then be back in time to head north and start negotiations there.

Xath: Good ideas, L'aurel. I anticipate we would not make it off of the Isle of Mourning in a day, if we made it out at all.

L’Aurel: I'm sorry that last was not in earnest. From what my father has said even knowing exactly where the blades are it would take far longer to get there and out. Right now we do not have expendable people for such a job.

Xath: Right now we do not have expendable people. Period.

Jaine: "I fear that without an official emissary, the shadows would not be well received. You must be our presence in Caer Albion, as soon as we can manage it. As for the blades on the Isle of Mourning, let others bleed and die for them. I have my doubts that trying to acquire them would be quick by any stretch of the imagination. First, we must meet with the Bluestar, then the mercenaries, and then Jansten's men. Once we have arranged everything, we move to Caer Albion. All of this must be accomplished in a manner of days - say, 72 hours?"

L’aurel: I can only pray it will be less.

Jaine: "We can do it. Let's leave as soon as possible."

AA: The people of Caer Albion need to know that help is on the way now, and we need to know how long they can last. in 72 hours Caer Albion may look more like Oceanus.

Jaine: "Then I see nothing but to let Archonus Bluestar go, and to trust that he will return with an unaltered blade. If we can risk it, than Archonus is right."

L’Aurel: Cringes knowing the answer saying it anyways, "Or we split up- are negotiators go north and our scouts go to Caer Albion. Our scouts can then also meet with the leaders."

Xath: “No matter what we do. If we split up, or go together. If we go to the north, or go to Caer Albion. There is one thing that we must do first. For several weeks now, the circle has been broken. Many strains from different sources have caused strife among us, but we cannot have that. The enemy's greatest strength comes from disunity between us. We must bridge the gap. We must put aside our differences for the good of the kingdom, and through our differences we must gain the strength to protect it. We must reforge the circle; stronger and better than before. We must be a united force. I, Xath Thunderheart, pledge my eternal loyalty and alliance to the Circle of the Phoenix. I will allow nothing to stand in our way. I pledge to protect the Circle and the Kingdom from the forces of evil. I will lay down my life for their safety. I will stand as one in a
Circle of friendship, in a Circle that stands as one. Through this, we will protect the kingdom. To this I pledge my soul.

AA: Archon stands from his seat to join his love in the pledge. "I, Archonus Arendorr, pledge my eternal loyalty and alliance to the Circle of the Phoenix. I will allow nothing to stand in our way. I pledge to protect the Circle and the Kingdom from the forces of evil. I will lay down my life for their safety. I will stand as one in a Circle of friendship, in a Circle that stands as one. Through this, we will protect the kingdom. To this I pledge my soul."

Justice: Justice remains seated, eyes fixed on L'Aurel.
L’Aurel: L'Aurel isn't looking at Justice..... she looks to be waiting.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
Life and Death

They set a place for him at the table, that night. His drink went undrunk, his food uneaten. Across a sea of grass and stone he lay, cradled in steel, showing the moonlight the last of his scars. That night, their tears were shed in joy and celebration.

Mostly.

As must happen , a few tears were shed in sorrow. As they stared deep into the gathered darkness, wreathed and warded in light, they were – for the first time – truly afraid.

Varis Greyclaw stood on the first step of the Queen’s dais, nervously shuffling his feet. He was waiting. Varis hated waiting. He had hated it since he was a child. He was a man of action. He wanted to march back into the twisting labyrinth of the old palace’s halls and find her. He would march her to the dais himself, they’d say the words, and it would be done.

He also knew it wasn’t that easy.

He took a deep breath, steadying himself, and looked out into the torchlit hall, out across a room that had housed untold generations of Alder kings and queens – his ancestors. Behind him, the darkness began to bleed orange, and he knew that the time was near. As morning’s first light pushed its tendrils into the hall, Varis sighed at his own failure.

This was supposed to be a secret, of sorts.

The throne room was packed, his people pushing their way into the ancient halls of the castle, desperate to see something good happen as the world crumbled around them. Some of them were already crying. He felt his own throat burning, an unfamiliar pressure rising from behind his ruby eyes. Was he going to cry? He thanked the Light for the now-fading darkness, as he brought his dusk colored fingers to the corners of his face. No tears had been shed.

His heart was pounding. She had to hurry.

He risked a glance over his shoulder, allowing himself a small smile as he saw the Queen upon her throne. They had carefully planned her part in this, calculating every moment so that she would not have to stand; so that she would not be forced to put her weakness on display for her stripling kingdom.

This was the first state wedding. Even over his happiness, Varis knew that some small part of everyone here had wished that this marriage was hers, not his. She had bled, sacrificed for them, and they knew it. Before that day she would have died for them. After it, they all would have died for her. They had been his people, once. Now they were hers.

But this was not the woman that had drawn him here. The Queen was not the woman who seemed to carry the very dawn in her smile. That woman was still coming, and she was taking her sweet time. Varis could have killed her!

No, he couldn’t kill her. But he could kiss her. By the Light, he thought, let me kiss her soon!

He glanced back over the crowd, hoping to catch a glimpse of his bride in the slowly brightening hall. They had simply arrived, hours before dawn, silently demanding a part of what was now occurring. They had not come to beg, expecting nothing more than a chance to watch one of their own find a piece of light in the lengthening shadow. He hadn’t asked the Queen before he allowed them in, but she seemed pleased enough as they filed in, hundreds – perhaps thousands – of men, women, and children seeking what small solace a celebration could provide.

Suddenly, a gasp washed over the crowd; a tide of awe, of hope. They parted for her, pale ivory skin and red and gold cloth flashing like fire itself as she strode toward him. As dawn broke through the window, suddenly lighting the darkened hall, she smiled. She smiled, and with it came the sun, itself. Archonus walked to her left, guiding her down the narrow corridor between the crowds. Varis allowed himself a small, sad smile. There was no father to give her away – only a brother in arms. But Archonus would do. For all his faults, Varis had no doubt that he cared about his betrothed.

She continued forward in reverent silence, as her grandfather – Preston – stepped up on to the dais, standing just right of the throne. He smiled over Varis’s shoulder, his dark blue eyes boring into his granddaughter’s own crystal-blue. She nodded, and then turned to Archonus, pecking him on the cheek, whispering something that Varis could not hear to her friend.

Archonus, himself the Marquis of Sylvanus, bowed to Varis, and then to Justice. Before he could fade back into the crowd, to join his own love, Preston’s commanding voice boomed over the whispering buzz of the crowd. “Marquis Archonus Arendorr, Lord Sylvanus,” he paused for a moment then, as if afraid someone would contest the honorific. Not someone. The doppelganger, the one who called himself Archonus Bluestar. But he did not object, allowing his twin the title of the city that he occupied. “Do you offer this woman freely to this man?”

Archonus looked surprised. None of the hurried ceremony had been practiced, and Varis knew he had expected no part in it, save giving away the bride. His brief courtly education took over, then. “Before the Throne and the Light, I swear that I offer this woman freely. Her heart is her own, and I wish it well.” The words had a peculiar cadence, as if Archonus had forgotten that he had ever known them.

But Varis nodded reassuringly. He had done as well as could be expected. Behind him, Preston nodded as well. “Who do you present to us, then, Lord Sylvanus, before God and Queen?”

The nobleman blinked for a moment, and then spoke with increasing confidence. “I give you Justice Fairweather, daughter of Katherine Preston, daughter of none.”

Justice flushed at the mention of her father, a man known to none, so far as Varis knew. He wished that his mention had not been necessary, but Varis – like most nobles – knew that ceremony was important. They would not deviate here. Not much, anyway.

“Then, before God and Queen,” Preston continued, “Let her step forward of her own free heart, and join hands with the man of her choosing.”

She did. As his charcoal hand closed around hers, he realized suddenly that he had not been breathing. He tried to hide his gasp, but he knew that she noticed. She smirked, her perfect features twisting in affectionate mockery.

Just as their hands met, the Queen spoke, her practiced voice carrying easily through the hall. She did not rise from her throne, but she commanded authority nonetheless. This, Varis knew, would be the departure from established ceremony. “I cannot allow a noble of the realm, in times as dire as these, to wed a commoner, no matter her stature as a warrior. The succession of the Greyclaw throne is no less important than my own will someday be.”

A gasp passed through the crowd. Varis was thankful he knew what was to come. “Justice Fairweather, daughter of none, cannot be allowed to marry this man. So the Throne has decreed!”

Varis heard even more gasps, and risked a glance over his shoulder. Confusion. He watched as a woman near the front of the crowd fainted. Jaine needed to move on, quickly. Thankfully, she did.

“Justice Fairweather, stepforward and kneel before your Queen.”

Thankfully, Justice knew what was happening, and did as she was bid. Jaine continued, “You were born of noble blood, Justice, unrecognized by a kingdom of falsehood. Your nobility has shown through your every action, and the Throne is honored to have servants such as yourself. Arise, and go to your betrothed as a peer of this realm. You are now the Duchess Justice Fairweather, Lady Caer Melyn.”

Her voice rang through the hall, the finality of the decree devastatingly joyous. With a single short speech, their Queen had laid claim to over half of Prydein. The implications were lost on some, but not all. The war was escalating, and she had used a wedding to let the world know.

Varis did not dwell on politics for long. His bride approached once more, her radiant smile capturing far more attention than the Queen’s announcement had. Her hand slid back into his, and together they turned to face her grandfather.

He began without preamble. “Speak before the Light and the Throne, Duchess Fairweather and Duke Greyclaw, so that you might be joined, and become one in the Light.”

And they did. Varis remembered almost none of it after that, save the kiss. That, at least, went as rehearsed.

They set a place for him at the table, that night. His drink went undrunk, his food uneaten. Across a sea of grass and stone he lay, cradled in steel, showing the moonlight the last of his scars. But that night, their tears were shed in joy and celebration.

Mostly.

As must happen, a few tears were shed in sorrow. As they stared deep into the gathered darkness, wreathed and warded in light, they remained truly afraid. The Circle lay broken, and for all their joy, they had not mended it.

His body had been embalmed, and carried into the palace one last time. He had received the blessings of a Queen, and been anointed by the tears of heroes. I stood well away from the procession as he was borne out of the palace, his face to the night-black sky. In the east, Aon crested the horizon, slowly bathing those of us who had gathered to watch him returned to the earth that birthed him.

There were thousands gathered around the short path from the place of his final battle to the place of his final rest: a path of grass and cobblestone leading from an ageless palace of a forgotten king to a fresh-built temple to a forgotten god even he had never truly understood. His armor shone in the twilight between sun and moon, glowing silver-grey as one day died and another was birthed. His auburn beard had been cleaned and plaited, his gauntleted hands resting upon its ends. He lay, unmoving, platform rocking upon the shoulders of his last companions, a broken circle upon whom the fate of worlds depended.

I marveled that while they stood tall with the latter weight upon their shoulders, the former seemed to weaken them. Yet onward they went, shuffling sadly in the slowly brightening grey of dawn. I watched as they bore him, one step at a time, toward the yawning edifice that marked his temple, and his tomb. They grey stone faded into the morning mist, its doors a hole in reality itself to which they would consign their friend.

There were tears, but theirs were not the only ones. All around me, the sorrow was overwhelming. They had gathered to mourn, and mourn they did. Emotion ran so thick in the air I could have drank it, tasting their fears and longings. I did not. This was their time, not mine. So I watched. So I learned.

The doors were made of steel, a fitting tribute to the fallen’s race. Some things, I was learning, never changed.

But some things do.

They came to a halt, crisp parade precision replacing their saddened stroll. The platform came off of their shoulders, placed gingerly on a bier of stone in front of the temple’s door. A priest of Thane’s religion came forward then, the sun and cross he had worn upon his shield now emblazoned across the old man’s tabard. Fascinating. He stood, facing the crowd – facing the fallen – the same man, I heard whispered, who had married the Duke of Oceanus to the Paladin.

His voice echoed over the crowd, extolling the virtues of valor and a stalwart heart to those gathered. But this was not what held my attention. A blade, shining on the hip of the marked one. Twisting gold curved around the hilt, sweeping up into a crosspiece, and an emerald seemed to pulse from within the blade above the crosspiece. I was drawn to it. I felt it drawn to me, as well. Was it mine? How had it come here? How had he gotten it? This was a mystery worthy of my time, but I had doubts that I would be able to pursue it.

I made up my mind to ask him, then. But certainty has always seemed my enemy. Another – a twin, alike in form and movement – appeared before me, standing in the shadows behind the Queen. I knew that the one below, near the Thanist priest was Archonus Arendorr. Who was this other? I would have to bide my time. Answers would come with time.

Time I had.

Lost in thought, I heard little of the Thanist’s speech. I should have listened – I would have liked to have known what had grown up around him in my absence. From what I did hear, it seemed that they had not made the mistake of revering him as a god. That, at least, had not been lost to time.

But the eulogy came to an end, and as it did, the crowd parted, the sounds of mourning’s end momentarily overcome by the sound of militaristic marching. Hard boots thundering upon the earth, metal breastplates shining as the sun traveled higher into the sky. Heavenly flame danced across their backs, a full company of dwarven draconeteers, beards bristled and faces grim.

From among them, I heard an order barked forth, a syllable from the old language that had nearly been lost when last I walked among them. Languages, like gods, abide.

At the sound, they crashed to a halt, ranks crisp and precise. Another word, and they pivoted as if possessed of a single will. Another call, and wood and steel slammed home against ten score shoulders.

Their Queen (who had the look of one of mine, I would later think) signaled to one of them from her wheeled throne. Even as her hand descended, the air was rent by the sound of their fire. Thirteen volleys crashed to honor their fallen hero, the morning mist replaced with acrid drakesmoke.

As the air grew quiet once more, the honor guard snapped their weapons down, and then swung them back up, barrels snapping skyward. As one, they dropped to a knee, honoring their liege, as the body was once more hoisted upon the shoulders of his companions.

I did not see what passed among them inside the temple, but the specifics of it mattered little. They had honored the end of his journey, felt the strange sorrow one must feel when he learns that his battles are not yet all fought. They had faced death, and each had found much to want in their strength of spirit, in the depth of their conviction.

As they emerged, more tears were shed. Those gathered were dismissed to their homes, or to the tents and shacks they had built in this lonely forest. Hyrwl was silent that day, thousands dead or lost mourned alongside a dwarven warrior who had made this cause his own. No hammers sounded in the simple smithies, no oven heated in the hearths of refuged bakers.

And so it was, the first time I came among them. I walked among their people, I whispered to their children. I heard their tales, and told some of mine.

They would do. They would have to, for the universe, and the Light that guides it had given me no others. They would do, because they had to.

And so they set a place for him at the table, that night. His drink went undrunk, his food uneaten. Across a sea of grass and stone he lay, cradled in steel, showing the moonlight the last of his scars. But that night, their tears were shed in joy and celebration.

Mostly.

As must happen, a few tears were shed in sorrow. As they stared deep into the gathered darkness, wreathed and warded in light, they remained truly afraid. They had seen death, and it had found them wanting. The Circle lay broken, and for all their joy, for all their sorrow, they had not mended it.

Last edited:

Laurel

First Post
Just found this one, sorry really late! --Part of a chat in purgatory--

L'Aurel looks at Link, "Did... did Michael make it here? Is he happy?"

Link: “I have not searched him out, L'Aurel...but unless he was a bad man, indeed, I am sure his soul rests out there, in the Kingdom of Light. He is surely at peace...it is only those of us who refuse to let go, those of us inextricably tied to the worlds below that can remain as I am...I pray that he has found more peace than I."

L’Aurel: "I have been praying that since he first left me... Just as with them all… you… you can not leave? You can not go beyond?”

Link: “I can. I have chosen not to take the final step into the life, beyond...many of us have tried to remain behind. We watched Aregonn, of course, but we also watched for Mordred. It would seem that we did not watch either close enough.”

L’Aurel: “We… you mean you and the other heroes? The Amastatian, The Apecto, and Corrion…” Getting a puzzled look on her face, “Oberon’s daughter, the priest and the builder…”

Link: "I suppose they could be called that. We wait...we watch. And we help, where we can. But from here, our help is meager, indeed. They have watched as Mordred twisted entire races into his vassals. Now, together, we have watched as Aregonn stirs in his northern prison once more. I cannot say what Tain intended when he sent so many men into the Northlands...but if you cannot defeat him, it may be that his own men will...if they can still be called men when they return."

L’Aurel: Closing her eyes and sighing, “So we are truly against both great powers. I had hoped… no just more naivety, I see now.” Looking where, I think, some from the battle are still filtering in, “We had so few to begin with. How can we hope to defeat them both?”

Link: This time, Link sighs. "I am not sure that you can hope to defeat them both...although Aregonn's intentions are not clear. The army that gathers is led by a southlander...a living southlander at that. He has not been fully tainted...and his destiny is strangely tangled..." he says, waving toward the old women with the loom. "His fate is tied to the young man's below...Archonus Arendorr."

L’Aurel: At the name her head snaps up, “What do you mean… Archonus? He has the blood of the Bluestar- of Aregonn, and he is even mark for it… but Arhconus would have nothing to do with them!” Then a light suddenly dims in her eyes as her mind remembers, “The figure on the docks… but…” Legs looking shaky, as she looks at the fates trying to will understanding just by seeing the many strands and the calm practiced way they snip and tie strands.

Link: "Somehow, it would seem your friend has created a double. It is no illusion, either. Their fates are tied...a single strand running through the fabric of time."

L’Aurel: Still seeming lost and dazed, “Why would he… how?” Almost visibly pushing other thoughts away, “And this other Ar- Archonus he… he is leading them? The bluestar’s- Aregonn’s forces?”

Link: Gravely, he says, "So it would seem. Thank the Light Aregonn remains trapped, above."

L’Aurel: “Unless Xath’s fears are true, and one of the blades are in the wall, holding the wall, but even Tain would see the advantages to keeping him trapped- contained.”

Link: "Exactly. Whatever happened above the wall could not have been as Tain intended. Thankfully, he is far from infallible."

L’Aurel: “Why couldn’t he just ki- no, there is always hope he could turn back to the light. I just feel like we are chasing after him, playing catch-up but never getting closer. We have studied everything we can… but it seems the fog just continues into more questions. And now… now I see another we may be fighting, another friend against us in the path that has been set.” Pausing, "Tain sent his forces, the falcon forces to fight Aregonn. They don't even realize they have been tricked." Looking bag to the fates, “When Xath died… in Oceanus… she told me she was given a choice, and when she chose to leave she was forbidden from returning… Did I make a choice somehow? Will I now be barred?”

Link laughs. “I think Oberon put it best--you only get one second chance at Life. If you fall again, it shall be for the last time. Most, when presented with that fact, simply choose to remain here, or pass beyond the gates to the Kingdom of Light, beyond. Should you return to life, and die, you will pass beyond. The fates are not so easily convinced, a second time.”

L’Aurel: Trying to return the smile, “No, I wouldn’t want to ever do this again… My heart still tells me I have to go back or at least give them the time to try. Even if this was my only chance at the light, I would have to go back I think… by the light, I just hope it is the right choice.” Looking at and Link and suddenly hugging him again, “Thank you. Thank you for everything you did on purpose and all you didn’t even know you did. I can never thank you enough. I am glad it was you here to greet me.”

Link: Hesitantly, he returns the hug. “It was...the least I could do?”

L’Aurel: “Sorry… I don’t feel much like my-” Stopping mid-sentence, and changing the subject by looking back to the fates, “Can I talk to them?”

Link:"Truly, they don't even listen to me. They listen only to the Light, and to his messengers. Like him." He points, and out of the fog behind them steps an enormous bearded green man. Wisdom and strength seem to flow through his every action, and a crown of golden laurel leaves sits atop his head. Oberon

L’aurel: She looks at Link confused, then to the new man, “Oberon?” Seeing Link’s obvious ease she smiles, “Yes.” Then more confidently, “Yes, you are Oberon. Lord of the Forests.” She suddenly drops to one knee flowing quickly into the stance she had when swearing fealty to Jaine, “My lord.” Waiting as she has recently been taught of the courtly ways.

Oberon: The giant king looks up from the loom, uncrossing his massive arms and slowly taking in the scene before him. As he sees the young mid-elf prostrated before him, a suddenly man-sized hand reaches down, tapping you on the well-muscled shoulder. His glance darts over his shoulder to the loom, but then he turns his ancient gaze fully upon you. "Please. Stand up.” Unsure L’Aurel looks to Link but quickly rises to stand before the green giant. As Oberon’s voice continues, ”There is no one here who deserves that kind of formality--certainly not I. Though I have been a king, in this place, I am no more than a messenger for my Master. And it is for Him that you have been given this chance...but as I am sure my friend has told you, it is not a decision to be made, lightly. A return to flesh and blood does not always end as we hope. In the end, the price for his return to life was his wife's own breath...and the knowledge of his second child," he finishes, nodding at Link's still, lithe form across the imagined landscape. "Though I know not what price you would have to pay, I do know that for every gift of the Light, Darkness exacts its fee. And with a gift of this magnitude, the price will be dire, indeed."

L’aurel: After he is done, "I meant no slight, for I would give my respect to you as Oberon lord or messenger, and without bow to hand you it is the only way I know." She looks away from the giant figure to the form of her ancestor though still addressing Oberon, “Without his return I would not be here now. Without him, we may not have had the chance to fight the darkness that is sweeping over them all.” Her green eyes flash with determination, “Let evil throw whatever vileness it wants at me it will just strengthen my resolve to obliterate it!”

Oberon: He laughs, a sound filled with a kind of jolly mirth. "You are brave, L'Aurel, dear. Brave, indeed. But be careful what you wish for...there are other powers than the Light in this world, and Darkness often has to do little more than make true what the unwise have requested...evil is often obvious. But it is not always so.”

Looking to the circles of images moving and talking near her, L’Aurel glances through the ones showing the circle, “Wishes… I have wishes for them all… but I have seen the trouble of wishes… I have no wish for pain, but I must be ready for it. I must also admit now that what happens was my choice. If darkness comes from this I have only myself to blame for it. I must accept any consequences be they good or ill. I…” her voice falters, “I can not let them go alone… I would sacrifice anything to see them safe. I will do- I will pay anything for that, but here” waving her hands slightly, “here I can do nothing. Some part of me tells me there is hope, there is always a way the light will triumph. I do not wish for suffering or pain, but I must be ready for it.” "

Remove ads