• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knightfall's "CC2 Cartography" Thread (Retired: Apr 16/05)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Third times a charm!

Ok, no more changing this one. Note: I changed it again. But I'm going to wait to finalize it and then post it in my Map Gallery instead. No more reposting of this one.

Attachments

• mors_end_region.jpg
    mors_end_region.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

blargney

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
BTW, I just did a initial version of Mor's End and posted it to the geography thread under plots and places.

Here's the latest version of the map:

Umm.. do you realize how vulnerable Mor' End is? It has three breaches in its walls where the river goes through, and three more weak spots where the gates are!! Not to mention that the central keep has two different entries....

I haven't been following the Mor's End development threads, so I don't know whether it is a trading post or a strategic fortress, but I just thought I'd point out that this layout is eminently difficult to defend. Attackers could just swim or sail straight through the walls. You might want to shore up those holes... ;)

-blarg

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
blargney said:
Umm.. do you realize how vulnerable Mor' End is? It has three breaches in its walls where the river goes through, and three more weak spots where the gates are!! Not to mention that the central keep has two different entries....

I haven't been following the Mor's End development threads, so I don't know whether it is a trading post or a strategic fortress, but I just thought I'd point out that this layout is eminently difficult to defend. Attackers could just swim or sail straight through the walls. You might want to shore up those holes... ;)

Thanks for the suggestions Blargney. Mor's End is a independent, frontier city-state that does have to deal with the fact that it isn't as well protected as other city's of its size that are older and more established.

However, I do agree that a little more protection is required and you comments lead to me changing the city's wall layout. The revised map and the reasoning behind it brought about some intense discussions between the EN Worlders involved with the project.

Currently, we're likely to go with harbor chains and water watch towers (as depicted below). i've alos reinforced the gates.

Again, thanks for the suggestions Blargney. And drop on over to the Plots & places forum if you get a chance. We'll share a mug or two at The Downpour. ;)

Cheers!

Knightfall1972

Attachments

• mors_end.jpg
    mors_end.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 206

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Jagged Peninsula

Ok, this map is brand new although it bares some resemblance to my old Kingdom of Stonn map.

There are three major political regions on the Jagged Peninsula -- The Kingdom of Stonn, Shadowood, and The Ambra Coast. Sunwater is the captial of the Ambra Coast but this region does show fealty to Stonn. Shadowood is independent of both Stonn and Ambra.

Two other regions of note are the sea holds of Athien and the Samuanel Islands. Athien is a lawless place where pirates and outlaws hide from the law. The Samuanel islands or the Domain of Samuanel is just as lawless and is dominated by the pirate port of Guthhell (not shown). Evil humanoids and devils walk openly here and the islands human population is definitely in the minority.

Attachments

• jagged-peninsula.jpg
    jagged-peninsula.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wind River Region (North)

This map use to be entitled The Kingdom of Thallin (North). However, as I have been updating the political aspects of my campaign, other important regions needed more focus.

Of course, the Kingdom of Thallin is still the primary kingdom in this region (capital city is Fruen). Most of the other political entities in this region are monstrous in origin.

Take Caer Amylinyon for instance. In ages past, this region was a gray elven kingdom. Now, after being betrayed from within, the region lies in ruins and all sorts of nasty things lurk in the dark swamps - trolls, mire orcs, and undead.

Another key region here is the canyon known as Spirit Rift. Thi area is an enigma in the region. No one is sure who controls the rift but most agree that it is foul. Undead and other things tend to creep out into the surrounding lands during the darkest nights of the winter.

Also there is the Lands of the Loch Folk. The Loch Folk are called that because they live exclusively around Lake Loch. Loch Folk aren't a race unto themselves but tribes of elves, halflings, and some humanoids that have banded together for protection.

Attachments

• windriver-region-n.jpg
    windriver-region-n.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wind River Region (South)

Formerly entitled the Kingdom of Thallin (South).

Ok, besides Thallin there are two other major political forces in this region.

First off is region known as the Highlands. This region is loosely aligned with Thallin but certain unpopular decrees by Thallin's new king has caused considerable tension between the people of the Highlands and the King and his dark followers. The Highlands are ruled from Aurora although the region is too chaotic to bow to any one ruler. This region is home to elves and halflings but many hill dwarves can be found in the Stone Hills.

The other major force in this region is the fey of the High Forest. The fey of Artesia do not pay hommage to anyone in the Eastern Shores. The High Forest is home to elves, halfings, dryads, sprites and some say the last of the gray elves still living on Harqual.

Note: The Belt will be detailed in a future post.

Attachments

• windriver-region-s.jpg
    windriver-region-s.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Lake Qualitian Region

Ok, this map used to simply be entitled the Duchy of Minar. However, Minar's influence is only felt as far as Forestholm and Hutley Hill, in the north, and the West and East Towers, in the south. Regardless, Minar is still one of the major countries in the Eastern Shores. It is also one of the most tolerant. Its capital is Minar City.

Another important region is the small stripe of land on the northern shore of Lake Qualitian known as The Belt. This fertile land is controled by the surrounding communities with some fealty to Raln. They must also show respect to the members of the Eastern Shores or at least that's what Lake Nest Treaty says.

Two other major political players in the region are Mathghamhna and the bugbear tribes of the Sunus Mountains. In reality, neither of these power groups are trusted by the people of The Belt and Minar. The bugbears of the Sunus Mountains have been militant in the past and most believe it's only a matter of time before they attack again.

Attachments

• lake-qualitian.jpg
    lake-qualitian.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Farion Island Region

Farion Island is part of the country known as the Barony of Wolffire. Wolffire's capital, however, is on the mainland - the city of Falcûne. In reality, this city is the countries capital in name only. The real power lies on Farion Island and the Baron who lives in Wolffire Castle in the islands mountain range. He rarely leaves the island proper and lets his country's Chancellor Regent handle the mundane day-to-day affairs from Falcûne.

However, the Regent Chancellor is trying to get the Baron to pay more attention to current worries such as the bugbears of the Sunus Mountains and the orcish Black Kingdom in the Thunder Mountains.

The Baron hasn't returned to the capitial yet but he realizes that he and his people cannot remain isolated for much longer.

Attachments

• farion-region.jpg
    farion-region.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Calla Island Region

This map used to be called the Kingdom of Navirosov but that didn't seem appropriate anymore once I added Arkhangel to the map.

Yes, Navirosov is still the major power in this region and the nomads and fishing clans of Jalivier's Honor pay hommage to the King of Navirosov. Unlike with a lot of the other independent islands to the east, the people of Jalivier's Honor are happy to be a part of Navirosov. Skyriding knights first appeared amongst these nomadic Navirans.

Arkhangel, while near Navirosov, doesn't have any of its strong beliefs in the god Jalivier. Arkhangel is known for its merchantile fleets and strong belief in the sea - especially in Ahto, Interloper God of the Sea, and Persana, Interloper Goddess of Ships and Sailors.

Attachments

• calla-region.jpg
    calla-region.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads