• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knightfall's "CC2 Cartography" Thread (Retired: Apr 16/05)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Harqual Overview -- New Revised Version 3.5

Heh, here's the one I meant to post. More of the rivers in the south have been cleaned up although I still went for the chaotic rivers in some places.

{EDIT}

Note: This map has been heavily modified again but I think I'll wait until I'm sure I'm done adding new terrain and rewiring the river system.

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• harqual_overview.jpg
    harqual_overview.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
REVISED VERSION: Janardun Overview

Ok, here is the revised version of my continent of Janardun.

moved text from page two
Dominated by rolling plains & forests and low mountain ranges, Janardun is best described by two words, psionic knights. These are platemail wearing psychic warriors (as per the class in the D&D Psionics Handbook, pg. 13), whom are part of a knightly order called The Insightful Order of the Republic. These Knights of the Mind, as they are sometimes called by the people, are the exception not the rule on Janardun. They tend towards neutrality and law in their outlook on life.

And while the Insightful Order is important to the Republic's survival - it doesn't rule it. The land is ruled by a Council of Representatives, one from each city, with one member elected as chancellor for one five year term (and only one). The council is appointed by the will of the knights, not by nobles or the people. Why this done is simple -- tradition dictates it such and it has worked well for 3,000 years (why mess with a good thing). The knights can dissolve the council at any time if they believe corruption has taken root. This is both a benefit and a bane to the councils effectiveness. If the people wish something that the council approves of but the knights do not (upsetting the balance), then the knights will dismiss the council.

Note: The check on council activity is done once every year in the capital city of Alaran during harvest time.

However, this dissolving of the council almost never happens. The people like the fact that the nobility has a lot less power and those nobles that join the knights give up all family ties and privileges. A member joins a branch of the knights that will now be his new family. In this structure, age and knowledge take precedence over strength and battle skill (although those are important if you don't want to get killed). Marriage is allowed within ones branch as long as the two members are not already related. However, marriage outside of the Insightful Order is frowned upon (the outsider would have to pledge to become a knight or the member would have to leave the Order).

As to what the knights fight against to protect the masses, that is also describable by two words, ogre mages. This is the simple explanation, the long explanation is a lot more convoluted. Yes, ogre mages are violent, magic welding humanoids but a knight hardly ever battles one in direct combat. And those that have, either died trying or were never the same afterwards. No, the true menace of daily life are the athach, ettins, wild dwarves, darkwings, and quicklings that call the ogres masters.

The ogre mages send their minions out of the mountains, dark forests and swamps to cause as much mischief and mayhem as possible. Whether it's darkwings and quicklings terrorizing farms and rural communities or athachs and ettins laying siege to castles and cities, no one is safe. Only the shoyir elves, rakasta, and cyclops stand with the Knights against the evil giants and their minons.

What the Dark Ones hope to gain by this continuous onslaught or what their ultimate goals are still remain a mystery.

Attachments

• janardun-overview.jpg
    janardun-overview.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
REPOST (New Version): Kingdom of Ahamudia!

Ahamudia is my version of Karameikos on Harqual. Recent events has brought this land to Harqual through a magical Transformation.

These events have been posted on my World of Kulan Development thread (see sig).

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• ahamudia.jpg
    ahamudia.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
NEW MAP: The Thunder Lands (east)

Here's a map I put together tonight. It's by no means final but it's a good start. Note: FYI... the map with Kul Moren, Amoria, and Cauldron on it is now entitled The Thunder Lands (west).

{EDIT}

Reposted two other maps -- Onan Region and Avion Region (see below).

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• thunder-lands-east.jpg
    thunder-lands-east.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
REPOST: The Onan Region

I was changing up the river layout more on my main Harqual map and have now deleted some previously shown rivers to make the continent less 'chaotic'. This is now reflected on the map below. The river leading to Stein is now gone. - KF72

moved text down from my old post
It's important to note that none of the political forces/alliances on the wild plains are large enough to be considered countries in their own right. However, there are three main 'domains' in the region - The Onan Territory, the Jovian Alliance and the Domain of Shadows.

The Onan Territory is definitely the most powerful political entity in the region, mostly due to its large fleet and powerful merchant families. Onaway and and Onaco are the key 'neutral' ports of call on the shore of the Sword Gulf.

Close behind The Onan Territory in power is the hardline Jovian Alliance. A group of citys and towns that live a more lawful way of life than those in Onaway, the Jovians tend to arrest you first, ask questions later. The Jovian Alliance is controlled by a powerful Baroness who is savage, beautiful and a little cold-hearted.

The other key power in this region is the Domain of Shadows. Very little is known about this forested land on the edge of the Wild Plains. It's capital city, Nikel, is known as the City of Shadows.

Attachments

• onan-region.jpg
    onan-region.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
REPOST: Avion Region

I'm reposting this for the same reason I reposted my Onan Region map. Edited out the river that use to go to Ambian and another one that use to cut through the Cadra Forest. ;) - KF72

Description will come of this region eventually. Need to edit a few more things but I won't repost it again unless I redo it completely for some reason (not likely).

Attachments

• avion-region.jpg
    avion-region.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

evildmguy

Explorer
Great Stuff!

Thanks for the great maps! An inspiration for me as I embark on doing my own maps for my new world!

Thanks again!

edg

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Re: Great Stuff!

evildmguy said:
Thanks for the great maps! An inspiration for me as I embark on doing my own maps for my new world!

Thanks again!

edg

You're welcome evildmguy!

And here's another one I've been working on. (It's by no means a final version but it's a nice overview of part of the souther region of my Harqual continent.

It's called The Bulge!

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• the-bulge.jpg
    the-bulge.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 112

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Wakuna and Black Storm Seas Overview!

Felt like doing a quick view of this region of Kulan. You can clearly see how Harqual, Triadora, and The Fallenlands stack up against each other, size wise.

Of note on this map are the set of islands just south of Harqual. This is the Dreaded Isle based on the old Isle of Dread module, but with more surrounding islands and slightly different shape. (Trying to recreated an exact map from a module is a pain in the butt, so I tend to eyeball things.

Further south and west of Triadora is a new region I've added to my world, which will be loosely based on the Pirates of Darkwater cartoon series. The region is known as Merria and is large group of islands.

Also, somewhere on this map will be Freeport: City of Adventure. I'm not exactly sure where the Serpent's Teeth will go but it will be closer to Harqual and Triadora than The Fallenlands.

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• wkn-blckstrm-overview.jpg
    wkn-blckstrm-overview.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 94

Remove ads