D&D General Kobold Press Tome of the Valiant Game Master's Guide ks signup

I am not sure an official reason was given. I know Brian Suskind did a bunch of research for it and maybe even some travel. But I think it was due to cultural sensitivity concerns.
Considering the Radiant Citadel and the Tian Xia guidebook that's coming out this year, I feel that there are definitely ways to create such a book with cultural sensitivity in mind. It's not like Kobold Press couldn't afford consultants.

I am not sure an official reason was given. I know Brian Suskind did a bunch of research for it and maybe even some travel. But I think it was due to cultural sensitivity concerns.
There was a (now-deleted) Facebook post in official Kobold Press channels that said something like ‘we’re no longer in the business of making gaming material out of someone else’s culture’. There was then several offers by Asian writers to contribute. I’ve got no idea where, if anywhere, that leaves the project now. I’ve kinda assumed that lots of the experienced game designers in the D&D-adjacent space who are of Asian ancestry and/or expertise have been tied up for a while on Paizo’s new Tian Xia books anyway.

Last edited:

Marc Radle

Legend
I hope so, but it really seems like it's been on the backburner for a long time now. When was the last actual Midgard product? Was it Southlands maybe? Wastes of Chaos had some Midgardy stuff in it, but it wasn't really a setting book, more of a chaos-themed toolkit. The patreon (which produced a lot of Midgard material in Warlock) is on hiatus, Brilliant East has been canned, the last few KSs have all been TotV or Gamemasters Guide or Deep Magic.

The awesome Zobeck Clockwork City hardcover came out earlier this year:
https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/zobeck-the-clockwork-city-collectors-edition/

Grimoire 4 just released:
https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/warlock-grimoire-4-for-5th-edition-pdf/

Marauders of the Margreve just released:
https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/marauders-of-the-margreve-pdf/

And, as I said, there are definitely new Midgard products coming in 2024!

Marc Radle

Legend
From the latest Kobold Courier:

Counting Down to GMG Launch!
The Next Installment in the Tales of the Valiant RPG!

GMs who want to create their own adventures and settings—and GMs who run games for more advanced players—will find the Game Master’s Guide a must-have tool for creating robust and well-rounded game experiences.

Whether you are building a world from scratch or creating mechanics for trekking through ever-more fantastical realms, the Game Master's Guide takes your game beyond the basics!
  • Homebrew Guidelines
  • Encounter Design Tips
  • GM Advice on Player Types
  • Monster Design and Variant Rules
  • Plug-and-Play options
  • And so much more!
Get notified when the Game Master's Guide goes live on Kickstarter, because we know GMs need all the help they can get!

Remove ads