Koukonsögur - Saga of the Trollfed Aerie - OOC

Pentius

First Post
This first encounter is clearly a special case, but how do you plan to handle initiative/turn order in the general case?

Cor Azer

First Post
This first encounter is clearly a special case, but how do you plan to handle initiative/turn order in the general case?

Generally, I try to keep the monsters on one initiative count, and let the PCs' initiatives divide them into "befores" and "afters". Within those two groups, PCs can shift about as they post (so we're not always waiting on someone). Of course, usually after the first round, both groups will be meshed together, so it'd typically be all monsters vs all PCs.

We'll probably do some finangling so "until end of next turn" powers don't become too wonky. Any suggestions?

Pentius

First Post
Generally, I try to keep the monsters on one initiative count, and let the PCs' initiatives divide them into "befores" and "afters". Within those two groups, PCs can shift about as they post (so we're not always waiting on someone). Of course, usually after the first round, both groups will be meshed together, so it'd typically be all monsters vs all PCs.

We'll probably do some finangling so "until end of next turn" powers don't become too wonky. Any suggestions?

That sounds fine to me. I've just seen different DMs handle it way differently, so I wanted to get a handle on what we'd be doing here. I am growing partial to the Malenkirk Conventions, seen in L4W play(which I recommend you check out, these guys, they're cool), so if I have any suggestions, it's that.

But like I said, I was mainly info gathering, not indirectly suggestion-supplying.

Cor Azer

First Post
That sounds fine to me. I've just seen different DMs handle it way differently, so I wanted to get a handle on what we'd be doing here. I am growing partial to the Malenkirk Conventions, seen in L4W play(which I recommend you check out, these guys, they're cool), so if I have any suggestions, it's that.

But like I said, I was mainly info gathering, not indirectly suggestion-supplying.

Those sound reasonable; I think I've played with them beforecwithout knowing there was a shorthand name for them.

Someone

Adventurer

Most common agreement is that one character can benefit from a single "until the end of next turn" effect once, depending on the posting order in which the effect originated. So for example, if I daze an enemy those posting after me will get the combat atvantage bonus; those that posted before me will get it their next round, no matter when they post. If you post after me the round I daze the monster but before me the round after, you don't benefit from 2 rounds of combat advantage.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Regarding the map: I think spreadsheets are your best bet!

Regarding initiative: I think although regular system of initiative is more complicated, it's quite more fun. Acting in clusters is also troublesome.

Remove ads