Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Falen moves past the fallen Knight to the doorway behind Tymbeck, passively listening for mental voices and figures (mindsight) in the adjacent room (45’). He’s mindful of the flanking (attempted anyway) loyalists. If they come within range of Tymbeck, Falen will look for attacks of opportunity. He looks as carefully as he can given combat conditions at how to reach the genie and how to bottleneck the portal.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Falen moves past the fallen Knight to the doorway behind Tymbeck, passively listening for mental voices and figures (mindsight) in the adjacent room (45’). He’s mindful of the flanking (attempted anyway) loyalists. If they come within range of Tymbeck, Falen will look for attacks of opportunity. He looks as carefully as he can given combat conditions at how to reach the genie and how to bottleneck the portal.
Falen reaches out with his newly-formed telepathic senses into the room beyond Sir Tymbeck. He precieves the the minds of his allies and foes alike. The Loyalists and thugs are human and nothing else. The thugs minds are average while the soldiers intellects are slightly higher than average.

The cleric is a different matter. The bugbear's origins are not from the Material Plane. And, his mind is stronger than the others but not overwhelming.

Falen is just close enough to reach his mind to the genie, but he cannot penetrate through the barrier that has her in temporal stasis. That doesn't surprise Falen. What does surprise him is the other mind in the room that isn't one of the Renegade's followers or one of the Exemplars. The mind is centred near the portal and it takes him a moment to focus upon it.

It isn't the portal itself or a mind beyond the portal. It's the altar. It is a living construct with a very powerful mind. A mind as strong as Falen's. It is there but shrouded behind the power of Phelix's portal. If Falen didn't have his mindsight ability, he wouldn't be able to know the construct was there.

Then, there is the whispering... not like the whispering that came from the labyrinth's strange double doors at the entryway. This whispering is darker, distant, unnerving. It isn't come from the portal or the altar but from somewhere beyond the range of Falen's mindsight ability. It hits his mind like a wave and, for a few seconds, he feels like he's going to be sick.

"Guard your thoughts, young Mindbender!" Falen knows it is the altar shouting at him in his mind's eye. "I will help you if I can, but you must resist the Unseen Abyss beyond the ceiling's shadows! Close the portal, if you can! But do not damage the room, lest you set off the Ancients' protections!"

South of Falen in the corridor, the knight nods as Vitus helps the young man to his feet. He appears to be only a few years older than the cleric of Tyche, but there is wisdeom in the man's eyes. He is happy to see Akos and makes a series of gestures to the Loremaster. "It is good that you have come back so quickly. These attackers keep coming through the portal."

The young knight looks terrible. He looks like he would fall down if Vitus even touched him, yet he someone leans against the wall and grips his sword. He silently urges Vitus to heal him.

OOC: Thugs: Humanoids; Int 10.
Loyalist Soldiers: Humanoids; Int 14.
Bugbear Cleric of Darkness: Outsider; Int 16.
---
Unknown Being (the altar): Construct; Int 19. It is psionic.
This construct is huge in size. It takes up the entire space within the columns and the three spaces south the metal floor as well. And, yes, I realize that goes against where I had the Loyalists come out of the portal. I forgot to position them properly on the initial map.

@Aust Thale, I need a DC 25 Will save; Falen gets a +4 circumstance bonus from the construct trying to help shield his mind. If the save fails, Falen is stunned for 1d4 rounds and takes 2d4 points of untyped damage. If he succeeds, he is only shaken for 1d4 rounds and takes half the damage, which is only nonlethal.

BTW, when Falen tries to detect the thoughts of the deaf-mute knight, there is nothing. He seems to be completely shielded from Falen's telepathy.
---
@Neurotic, I've put the knight's sign language conversation in an in-line spoiler for you. Akos needs to only make one more DC 15 Intelligence check to be able to understand the knight's silent speech. I don't want to bog down the game with too many rolls. It would only be required again in a truly desperate situation.

End of Round One

Last edited:

Race: Human
HP: 52/52
AC:
22; FF:19 T:14
Spot:+5
Listen:+5
Search+2
[]Cure Minor; [] Detect Magic; []Detect Poison; [] Amanuensis []Create Water ; [] Mending
Fort:+8
Will: +11
Refl: +5
Initiative: +3
Range:+8/+4
Melee: +7/+2 (+1)
1st [6+1](DC16) [ ]Bless; [ ] Entropic Shield[ ]Comprehend Languages; [ ]Endure Elements [ ] Divine Favor; []Lesser Vigor
2nd[4+1](DC17) [X]Avoid Planar effects; [ X] Benediction; [X] Status [X] Lesser Restoration
3rd[4+1](DC18) [ ] Stone Shape [X ]; Invisibility Purge; [X ] [X]Speak with Dead
4th: [3+1](DC19) [ ] Attune Form(extended) [] Sustain; [] Mass, Lesser Vigor (extended)
STR:13+1
DEX: 16+ 3
CON: 14 + 2
INT: 14 +2
WIS: 20 +5
CHA:15 +2
XP: 28,000/36000
LevelStudiedUsedSpell...................................................................................................................
1Longstrider
XXSanctuary
2XLocate Object
Shield Other
3xXProtection from Energy
Fly
4Spell Immunity
XXDim Door

Vitas nods to the Knight then, to everyone in the general vicinity but not loud enough to go beyond the door,

"I'm going to use stone shape. I think I can reach a 6 inch trench along the floor from the doorway to the genie and destroy the circle that's binding her."

RP STUFF
HR][/HR]
Active Spells:
Benediction (@MetaVoid Rockthorn): 58 minutes and 5 rounds
Protection From Fire (@Tellerian Hawke Big Tim): 7 Minutes+6 rounds -protects from 96 points of fire damage
Invisibility Purge 7 minutes and 7
Sanctuary: 6 rounds
Avoid Planar Effects 78 rounds

To Do:
OOC and OOC
-Speak to Oppia Nazaria

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Loyalist soldier closest to Rockhorn takes a step and slashes the mounted wild dwarf with his longsword. The blade cuts another wound in the beast heart adept. The other soldier, who had attacked the prone knight previously, steps towards Vincenzo and manages to hit the Sectarian with a deep cut on his shoulder.

The Loyalist facing both Tim and Custodio thinks better of trying to hit the Tall Knight. He turns his blade on the Vanquisher cleric. He swings his blade low and slices Custodio's leg. It's a deep wound. The soldier then steps away from Tim towards the bugbear cleric. He moves carefully and keeps his guard up.

"Heal me," he says to the cleric.

The cleric says nothing in reply. The devil-blooded bugbear keeps his eyes focused on Sir Tymbeck.

The last of the Loyalist soldiers takes a step towards Custodio and manages to penetrate the Vanquisher cleric's defenses. She pivots and slashes past his shield to inflict a deep wound in the cleric's side. The blade sinks in deep and posion burns Custodio. He grimaces in pain but manages to resist the venom dripping from her blade, for now.

Vincenzo tries to stab the Loyalist that managed to cut his shoulder. (There is no poison on the man's blade, at least.) Lil' Vinny stabs out once, twice, but the soldier easily dodges the strikes.

OOC: Rolls for Vincenzo on the Discord.

@Tellerian Hawke, you're up next for Tim.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
T.H on Facebook said:
Tim takes a 5-ft step straight forward, and does a full attack on the fleeing loyalist who is seeking help from the cleric.
Tim swings his sword at the man Loyalist stepped away from him, but the wary man ducks under Tim's blade just in time. A second longer and the Tall Knight would have taken his head off. Tim shifts his footing and refocuses. he brings his blade up once again tries to cleave the man in two. The Loyalist manages to block Tim's blade with his shield. he strains under Tim's great strength but manages to avoid being killed.

"Now would be a good time!" The Loyalist says to the cleric.

Custodio can feel the poison in his system from the woman's blade. While he managed to shrug off its initial effects, he doesn't want to risk what it might do to him later. He says a prayer to the Purifier and time slows for his metabolism. He hasn't pruged it from his body, but he's delayed any other effects.

Tuck quickly reloads and fires his crossbow once, twice, and then a third time. He fires at the thug on the other side of Vincenzo. He aims his first two shots through Vinny's legs and the first one hits the thug's left leg. The man is surprised by the bolt slicing his shin. He tries to shift his position, but leaves himself open on the right and Tuck third bolt hits the man's shoulder.

"Careful where you're shooting!" Vinny shouts over his shoulder.

"Always," Tuck replies with a doglike grim. "Don't worry, I won't hit you, well, nothing vital."

"That's not funny!"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The bugbear cleric takes a second to decide. He can tell the tall man, likely some giant half-breed, its the most dangerous man in the room. He decides its best to let the others try to wear down the knight and his allies. He'd love to attack, but instead, he steps back and begins to pray to the great god of the dark.

"What are you doing? Heal me!" The Loyalist yells at the cleric.

The cleric of darkness finishes his prayer and a powerful dark energy fills the room. The Loyalists are bolstered with extra fortitude. "I am helping you," He replies to the Loyalist. "Do not belittle my god's aid."

The dark energy also brings the dying thug back to consciousness. The man's eyes open and he grimaces. His short sword isn't in reach but lies only a few feet away.

OOC: The cleric casts mass aid on all the Loyalist soldiers and thugs.
Bugbear Cleric - Mass Aid: 1D8+8 = [1]+8 = 9
The dying thug is now conscious. He is prone. He will not act until round 3.
Brelish Thug (prone) - Initiative: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos points at himself, then at the scroll in his hand. He wiggles his fingers in mock spellcasting then squashes the hand with the scroll. Finally, he makes a step toward the room, snaps his fingers and makes a kind of slide toward the wall while moving both arms in an upward arc into a single wedge pointing again into the room through the wall.

At the same time he whispers, making sure The Knight can see his lips.
"I will teleport inside and try to disrupt the magic around the genie. I can take one more with me, but it will be risky without magic."

OOC: I'm thinking maybe we should be focused more on disrupting psionics given the ancient magic. Anything to boost Akos Use magic device skill can be helpful :)

Race: Human
HP: 52/52
AC:
22; FF:19 T:14
Spot:+5
Listen:+5
Search+2
[]Cure Minor; [] Detect Magic; []Detect Poison; [] Amanuensis []Create Water ; [] Mending
Fort:+8
Will: +11
Refl: +5
Initiative: +3
Range:+8/+4
Melee: +7/+2 (+1)
1st [6+1](DC16) [ ]Bless; [ ] Entropic Shield[ ]Comprehend Languages; [ ]Endure Elements [ ] Divine Favor; []Lesser Vigor
2nd[4+1](DC17) [X]Avoid Planar effects; [ X] Benediction; [X] Status [X] Lesser Restoration
3rd[4+1](DC18) [ ] Stone Shape [X ]; Invisibility Purge; [X ] [X]Speak with Dead
4th: [3+1](DC19) [ ] Attune Form(extended) [] Sustain; [X] Mass, Lesser Vigor (extended)
STR:13+1
DEX: 16+ 3
CON: 14 + 2
INT: 14 +2
WIS: 20 +5
CHA:15 +2
XP: 28,000/36000
LevelStudiedUsedSpell..................................................................................
1 Longstrider
1XXSanctuary
2XLocate Object
2Shield Other
3xXProtection from Energy
3Fly
4Spell Immunity
4XXDim Door

Vitas watched as Akos mimed stuff to the Knight and showed Vitas the scroll of anti-magic. They had spoken about using it to free the genie and Vitus supposed that he was going to enact that part of the plan now. Vitas nodded and pointed at the Knight and Akos then a thumbs up.

Moving back, he could see Custodio had been attacked several times. Trusting his Tych would protect him,1 Vitas moved towards the room as far as he was able2 and prayed to his goddess that his comrade's wounds looked worse than they actually were and that they'd heal quickly.3

1. Anyone attacking Vitas needs to Succeed a DC 16 Will save or be unable to attack (Sanctuary)

2. Moving North of Big Tim, Behind Vincenzo because it's the only way I have line of sight to all my targets inside the room and still see the Knight outside the room. **

**I'm pretty sure I need to be able to see all targets that are being affected - even if they are in range. If that is not the case, I will, instead move Vitus behind Custodio to protect his flank.

Just in case I'm allowed to move all the way in by Custodio and still cast on everyone I want, I'll throw in a concentration check as Vitas would cast on the defensive: concentration: 1D20+16 = [4]+16 = 20 (success)

3. Then Vtus Casts Mass Lesser Vigor on Vincenzo. It affects 3 others within 30 feet: Custodio, the Knight, and Rockhorn. All of whom are injured get 1hp back.

Active Spells:
Benediction (Rockthorn): 58 minutes and 4 rounds
Protection From Fire (Tellerian Hawke Big Tim): 7 Minutes+5 rounds -protects from 96 points of fire damage
Invisibility Purge 7 minutes and 6
Sanctuary: 5 rounds
Avoid Planar Effects 77 rounds
Mass Lesser Vigor: 26 rounds: @MetaVoid (Rockhorn); (Vincenzo); Custodio; Mute Knight): 26 rounds. Everyone gains 1hp on my turn

To Do:
OOC and OOC
-Speak to Oppia Nazaria

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Akos points at himself, then at the scroll in his hand. He wiggles his fingers in mock spellcasting then squashes the hand with the scroll. Finally, he makes a step toward the room, snaps his fingers and makes a kind of slide toward the wall while moving both arms in an upward arc into a single wedge pointing again into the room through the wall.

At the same time he whispers, making sure The Knight can see his lips.
"I will teleport inside and try to disrupt the magic around the genie. I can take one more with me, but it will be risky without magic."
Akos can see that the young knight reaaly isn't in any condition to go with him. Even after the unicorn purges the posion from the man's system, he still looks ragged. He nods to Akos in understanding and gestures to Akos that he needs a moment to catch his breath. He choose to stay out in the corridor.

"I trust you will save her, Loremaster."

Akos finishs his spell and is whisked inside the room. There is an odd sensation to the dimension door. For a moment, he thinks something is going to block him magic, but he arrives at the spot he choose next to the genie. Right next to him along the wall is a bed that wasn't there before. If Akos had picked that spot, it could have gone very badly for him.

Before him is the genie, the djinni. She is as she was before. Trapped and immobilized in in the magic circle engraved into the floor. Akos can see, however, that she looks worse than before. The portal has drained almost all of her lifeforce away. Her skin has become pale and cracked. He must act or she will perish.

Vitus watched as Akos mimed stuff to the Knight and showed Vitus the scroll of anti-magic. They had spoken about using it to free the genie and Vitus supposed that he was going to enact that part of the plan now. Vitus nodded and pointed at the Knight and Akos then a thumbs up.

Moving back, he could see Custodio had been attacked several times. Trusting his Tyche would protect him, Vitus moved towards the room as far as he was able and prayed to his goddess that his comrade's wounds looked worse than they actually were and that they'd heal quickly.
Vitus can see that the knight will need some major healing before he can risk fighting again. The young man is breathing heavily and is bleeding from several deep wounds. If the Loyalist who had attacked and hit while the knight was on the floor, the man would like have been killed or, at least, knocked unconscious.

Moving back into the room, Vitus manages to find a spot close to the door where he can help both the Exemplars and the knight still out in the corridor. The dead man under his feet is of no concern. He prepares to cast his spell while waiting for the knight to move back towards the open door leading into the portal room.

The cleric of Tyche motions for the knight to follow... when he is able. The man nods to Vitus as he tries to right himself and prepare to fight again.

Neurotic said:
OOC: I'm thinking maybe we should be focused more on disrupting psionics given the ancient magic. Anything to boost Akos Use magic device skill can be helpful :)
OOC: Reminder: Psionics is Different

"I got us into this. Now to resolve this before that caster " thinks Rockhorn as he releases his lance in its holder, useless in this cramped quarters. He urges Spritewing to attack.
"Get him! I'm changing weapons."

Spritewing rears back and crashes back onto the loyalist who hurt his rider. Bite following it snaps in the air as the cultist is driven back by flailing hooves.

Rockhorn draws the axe, preparing to attack.

Remove ads