L4W Discussion Thread III

Dawn Raven

First Post
I cannot agree with you more :D It's like WotC stole the dreams out of my head and wrote them down!

They do seem like they'll do a little less damage than the rogue and ranger, but I'm ok with that. As you said, they get some wicked rider effects, plus a huge boost in accuracy. And I think the pursuing avenger is possibly the most mobile class so far - that definitely gets big brownie points in my book :) The retribution avenger looks pretty brutal; either enemies will leave him alone, or get blasted for trying to attack him. For the pursuing avenger, I love the powers that damage an enemy if they don't move. Stand here and get blasted, or move and have the avenger hunt me down again and lay the smackdown even harder :devil:

I'm torn now - I either want an elf/shifter pursuing avenger (of Artemis, possibly MC'ed into druid for flavour), or a deva retribution avenger (probably of Zeus - he needs some love in L4W!). I find myself liking the censure of retribution stuff a lot more than I thought, but it's so hard to give up all that extra mobility with censure of pursuit ... If we do the avenging duo, Raven, I might go with the deva just to mix it up, though. Or we could both play pursuing avengers, and lay waste to the back ranks in tandem :D

Yea, the mobility truly pulls my attention. I know other classes encourage movement like the 3 square concealment with warlock, but the idea of the pursuit censure just makes me squeal! Combined with the PHB I charge feat and the Invigorating pursuit, you could get +4 damage on charges against the Oath target. Throw on some leather and/or defensive mobility and you have an awesome combination. Use either the boost to speed from elf to try and get away from provoking, or just fight on the front until you get bloodied as a shifter then rush through to the backrow.

Now to go dig up the story I wrote awhile back of a avenger for Minerva. Although, looking at the mechanics there's no way a spear would be a good choice! I think an executioner's axe would be wicked cool. Of course the axe would be like..as big as she is especially with wisdom/Dex being the highest 2 stats.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yea, the mobility truly pulls my attention. I know other classes encourage movement like the 3 square concealment with warlock, but the idea of the pursuit censure just makes me squeal! Combined with the PHB I charge feat and the Invigorating pursuit, you could get +4 damage on charges against the Oath target. Throw on some leather and/or defensive mobility and you have an awesome combination. Use either the boost to speed from elf to try and get away from provoking, or just fight on the front until you get bloodied as a shifter then rush through to the backrow.

Now to go dig up the story I wrote awhile back of a avenger for Minerva. Although, looking at the mechanics there's no way a spear would be a good choice! I think an executioner's axe would be wicked cool. Of course the axe would be like..as big as she is especially with wisdom/Dex being the highest 2 stats.
Yeah, the other strikers encourage mobility, but they don't give you free 4-square shifts with at-will powers ;) An elf avenger would be ... freakishly mobile. 7 speed, and wild step with all those free shifts? They would be impossible to pin down in a forest or other difficult terrain.

I'll probably end up with a fullblade. I'm a sword nut ;) Though fullblade + oath of enmity + guaranteed retribution + potent rebirth would make for some deadly accurate attacks. Me likey :)

The two kinds of avengers do seem to have fairly different styles, though. It seems with retribution you might be better going after the soldiers and brutes, while pursuing is better going after lurkers, skirmishers, artillery. Might make it harder for the retribution avenger to use oath of enmity, now that I think about it ...

Dawn Raven

First Post
so..question on interpretation. Does the Oath of Enmity let you roll 2d20 for only one attack per encounter? I'm confused on phrasing. Or maybe its only because the way everyone talks about it, it feels as if its talked about as an all encounter thing.

Ozymandias79

First Post
no, you roll 2d20s and take the best if the target has no allies adjacent to it and until the target is dead so yes, for every attack you make

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yes, I believe the intent is to let you roll twice every time you attack the target, as long as there are no other enemies adjacent to you. I like how it doesn't prevent your allies from all ganging up on the target as well ;)

You do have to be adjacent, though, so reach weapons probably aren't the best for avengers. Which is kind of unfortunate, because I think a greatspear-wielding avenger of Minerva would be really cool :)

Ozymandias79

First Post
BTW is anybody going to suggest that we make the dragon issue(367) that contain among other things "ecology of the genasi" & "Class Acts: Swordmage" to be legal content? me myself , I want to vote on it so I wont propose it

Don Incognito

First Post
I just bought PHB2.

Yes...let's go with bought.

Anyway, my first impressions? Excitement. Versatile Master has me brewing up all sorts of evil ideas. Taking powers from any class? Yes plz.

Don Incognito

First Post
Hey hey hey WOAH WOAH WOAH.

What you are suggesting, sir, is ILLEGAL, and I HIGHLY RESENT the implication that I engaged in behavior that would constitute a breach of Wizards Of the Coast's copyright on the intellectual property contained within the Player's Handbook 2.

I would appreciate it if you refrained from making such statements unless you can offer some proof of foul play on my part.

Remove ads