Lanhkmar's back (Runequest)

SWBaxter

First Post
Voadam said:
There is going to be an open license for RQ and the Lankhmar material?

The RQ system is going to be open, much like d20. The settings probably won't be.

The rules being open makes sense, since as I understand it they're developed from the original RQ rules, which also formed the basis for the Basic Role-Playing ruleset that Chaosium still uses to this day. As a result Mongoose can't reasonably claim exclusive ownership, so they might as well make it open.

Chaosium's revision of the BRP ruleset might just get published this year, rebranded as d100. Be interesting to see what the differences between the two are.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
SWBaxter said:
Chaosium's revision of the BRP ruleset might just get published this year, rebranded as d100. Be interesting to see what the differences between the two are.
Let's just hope that it doesn't mean we're having to buy Call of Cthulhu again.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Wow. I'm really torn. I like Lankmar a lot, but I can barely imagine a worse system to do it with than Runequest. I'll have to see if they're making some significant changes to the BRP system...which is what I assume they're going to use for the new RQ. Color me a little bit :\ on this one. Still, I'll have to take a look and see...

--Steve

radferth

First Post
I remeber trying to do a Runequest conversion of the TSR Lanhkmar material back in the 80's. I never got the magic working, but the rest was fine (not much to convert, really). I think Lanhkmar will fit d100 better than it did D&D, but I never really liked the Runequest system overmuch. I was always willing to play it, because of Glorantha, but it never seemed worth the extra math and rolling. Do we know that Mongoose is using that system?

Garnfellow

Explorer
Chris Pramas, in his blog, mentions that Green Ronin was offered the rights to Lanhkmar but turned it down. What a depressing statement on the state of d20. I'm really not sure if Runequest will or will not prove an able engine for a Lanhkmar game*, but I'm sure Green Ronin would have made a great d20 version.

*Considering that Robin Laws and Ken Hite have both been working on Mongoose's Runequest project, one can have pretty high hopes.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Garnfellow said:
*Considering that Robin Laws and Ken Hite have both been working on Mongoose's Runequest project, one can have pretty high hopes.

Ken mentioned to me that he only worked on the core book so anything could happen after that.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Garnfellow said:
Chris Pramas, in his blog, mentions that Green Ronin was offered the rights to Lanhkmar but turned it down. What a depressing statement on the state of d20. I'm really not sure if Runequest will or will not prove an able engine for a Lanhkmar game*, but I'm sure Green Ronin would have made a great d20 version.

Hmmm... wonder why they wouldn't have done it in True 20 as opposed to D&D. It's not like True 20 couldn't use a good sword and sorcery setting.

Turanil

First Post
Garnfellow said:
It would have been somewhat redundant with Thieves' World (I mean, in spirit), and the city of Lankhmar as a setting would also be somewhat redundant with Freeport which is scheduled to see a new incarnation. So all in all, a bad business decision I think, would be to also publish Lankhmar.

JoeGKushner said:
Hmmm... wonder why they wouldn't have done it in True 20 as opposed to D&D. It's not like True 20 couldn't use a good sword and sorcery setting.
Agreed. True20 over d20, and even over RQ as far as I am concerned, would do better for Lankhmar.

Last edited:

Remove ads