Lanhkmar's back (Runequest)

Turanil

First Post
Esteban said:
Hmmm, not necessarily fantasy? That could either be Star Wars (doubtful, since I'm sure Hasbro still has the rights) or Star Trek. Those are the only settings that i can think of that are as big as Middle-earth and are not being currently supported (technically I suppose Star Wars is still being supported, but I heard that is basically a fiction).
Star-Trek sounds a prime to be a holy-grail type of license. Plus Mongoose has some experiences in sci-fi rpgs.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Turanil said:
With the three LotR movies far behind, would a Middle-Earth RPG or setting still be a "holy-grail" license, financially speaking?

Speaking of Holy-Grail by the way, maybe it's King Arthur setting?

While the LotR movies are behind (although Jackson still wants to do a version of the Hobbit), the standing of LotR as the most important piece of 20th C fantasy literature remains. Certainly among players of RPGs, it remains of central significance.

In any case, the 'Holy Grail' is a licensed property, and so this limits possible candidates.

It could be 'Harry Potter' (which I personally loathe, but whatever). If Mongoose managed to convince the author -- who reportedly is very opposed to the idea of a HP RPG -- to let them produce such a game, that would be a real coup.

It could be 'Star Wars' (which I don't especially like, at least not the recent films, but it's popular). But would WotC give up the rights? And is it really a 'holy grail'?

As for Arthur, Mongoose has already announced that they are producing a setting book for RQ.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Turanil said:
Star-Trek sounds a prime to be a holy-grail type of license. Plus Mongoose has some experiences in sci-fi rpgs.

I suppose so, although my impression is that that horse has been beaten to death, resurrected, and beaten to death again a few times.

There are no current Star Trek series going. Is there a film in the pipe? I should think that current interest in Star Trek is, if anything, less than current interest in Middle-earth.

I suppose some people might be craving a new ST RPG. Personally, I'm happy to stay well away from any Star Trek products.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Wait, the "Holy Grail of RPGs..."

Mongoose is buying D&D?

;)

On a more serious note, IIRC there is a new Star Trek movie coming out, though whether it will be any good or not remains to be seen.

JoeGKushner

First Post
PhantomNarrator said:
If Conan and Warhammer are any indication of where Mongoose is going, yes please.

I, for one, can't fathom the hate for RQ. Smacks of D20 snobbery, but I suppose there's no accounting for taste.

Eh? Warhammer? Isn't that done by Black Industries and designed by Green Ronin?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
PhantomNarrator said:
If Conan and Warhammer are any indication of where Mongoose is going, yes please.

I, for one, can't fathom the hate for RQ. Smacks of D20 snobbery, but I suppose there's no accounting for taste.
I just wanted to add that there's no hate for RQ here, and no D20 snobbery. I reserve my snobbery for the Hero system, thank you very much! :) I just don't think that the BRP system as currently implemented, would work very well for Lankmar. Both of the main characters are way too competent, and never tend to fail at their core abilities. They get tricked, conned and misdirected, but are absolutely deadly as warriors (and in Mouser's case as a thief). I think a system that would work this out would have to be gritty at the core, but also support characters who are very good at what they do. BRP is waaay too fiddly to handle the action in the series quickly. I think it could handle the kind of characters that are cannon fodder for the heroes pretty well, however. A straight percentile system with no fate or drama points would be a disaster for Lankmar.

I am really drawing a bit of a blank as to what system that's currently out there would be a good fit. About the only thing I can think of would be burning wheel.

Just in case it is not obvious, you can add a dose of "in my opinion" and a dash of "your mileage may vary" to the above comments.

--Steve

JoeGKushner

First Post
Akrasia said:
But the setting is being released for Runequest 4e, not BRP!

Do we know what the actual differences are yet?

Will stats be 3-18 range?

Will hit points be broken up by body part?

Armor absorb damage?

Skills be % based?

I mean it's not like either of those systems were complicated in and of themselves. Now magic and those abilities like demon summoning... different story.

Remove ads