Lanhkmar's back (Runequest)

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Wow -- I'm surprised at the hostility towards RQ here (even before the new rules have been released!). What a contrast to RPG.net.

I'm looking forward to RQ4. Complete rules in 100 pages? Easy rules for GMs but lots of fiddly bits for players? That all sounds good to me.

I think RQ could be a great fit for Nehwon.

But what I'm most interested in seeing is how RQ works for Mongoose's 2007 Middle-earth release.

(Over at RPG.net Mongoose Matt keeps mentioning that Mongoose is in the process of obtaining the rights to the 'Holy Grail' of fantasy settings, and typically denies speculation about what setting that might be -- except for speculation about Middle-earth. His silence there speaks volumes IMO -- essentially an implicit confirmation that we'll see Mongoose produce a RQ version of Middle-earth next year.)
:)

Garnfellow

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
Hmmm... wonder why they wouldn't have done it in True 20 as opposed to D&D. It's not like True 20 couldn't use a good sword and sorcery setting.

I think the initial offer was put forward well before True20 was even a gleam in Green Ronin's eye. The Thieves World announcement was in August, 2004, and it sounds like the Lanhkmar offer came shortly after. The Blue Rose PDF didn't go on sale until February, 2005. And it was only after this date that Green Ronin started thinking of the Blue Rose game engine as something separate from Blue Rose. (At least, this is the story according to the "True History of True 20, Parts 1-5," which also appears on Chris Pramas's blog -- an excellent and very interesting read.)

PhantomNarrator

First Post
Runequest Lanhkmar?

If Conan and Warhammer are any indication of where Mongoose is going, yes please.

I, for one, can't fathom the hate for RQ. Smacks of D20 snobbery, but I suppose there's no accounting for taste.

MongooseMatt

First Post
Akrasia said:
(Over at RPG.net Mongoose Matt keeps mentioning that Mongoose is in the process of obtaining the rights to the 'Holy Grail' of fantasy settings,

I said it was a Holy Grail of RPGs, not necessarily fantasy :)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I don't much care for BRP, but Mongoose has a history of actually changing rules rather than assuming that what they inherited was ideal. I'm not as fond of their design work as of, say, Green Ronin's, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the new RuneQuest.

Depending on how the rules come out, Mongoose Lankhmar could be very cool. I'm just disappointed they won't be using Conan-compatible rules; I'd rather have seen RQ Conan or OGL Lankhmar, but from a business perspective I suppose you could make the case they'd be competing with themselves.

As for the "holy grail of fantasy licenses," Mongoose already has one thing I'd call that (Conan). The only other one that would qualify for me is Final Fantasy, and I doubt they managed to swing that (assuming they were even interested).

Okay, or Spelljammer, but I KNOW they don't mean that. :)

Akrasia

Procrastinator
MongooseMatt said:
I said it was a Holy Grail of RPGs, not necessarily fantasy :)
Wow. Is that an actual denial regarding 'Middle-earth'?!

If not M-E, then what the 'Holy Grail' could be completely escapes me.
:\

Turanil

First Post
Akrasia said:
If not Middle-earth, then what the 'Holy Grail' could be completely escapes me.
With the three LotR movies far behind, would a Middle-Earth RPG or setting still be a "holy-grail" license, financially speaking?

Speaking of Holy-Grail by the way, maybe it's King Arthur setting?

Esteban

Explorer
Akrasia said:
Wow. Is that an actual denial regarding 'Middle-earth'?!

If not M-E, then what the 'Holy Grail' could be completely escapes me.
:\

Hmmm, not necessarily fantasy? That could either be Star Wars (doubtful, since I'm sure Hasbro still has the rights) or Star Trek. Those are the only settings that i can think of that are as big as Middle-earth and are not being currently supported (technically I suppose Star Wars is still being supported, but I heard that is basically a fiction).

Or maybe, with the mention of 'Holy Grail', it's Pendragon. Could they be picking up the rights to the game? It basically uses a scaled down version of Runequest. Just speculating...

-Steve

Last edited:

Remove ads