Late, lamented (or unlamented) fast-food chains

kenobi65

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Another one that I though was long gone, then started popping up at mall food courts, was Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips.

BTW, Arthur Treacher was a real man, though he wasn't a chef...he was a British actor.

He was famous for playing the perfect English butler, and so, he was asked to lend his name to the restaurant in the 1960s, since most Americans see "fish & chips" as a British dish.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0871546/bio

Last edited:

StupidSmurf

First Post
I remember Geno's. Kind of. The only truly significant contribution to my past, though, is the joke we used to crack about them. See, Geno's slogan was "Geno's is the place to go." Which led of course to this fine Elementary school vintage joke:

Q: Why aren't there any bathrooms at McDonalds?
A: Because Geno's is the place to go.

Aw, come on...we were in grade school! ;)

There used to be a hamburger chain up here in New England called Kelly's. Anyone else recall it?

WizarDru

Adventurer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I know of lots of Roy Rogers in New Jersey and New York. They are all along the Jersey Turnpike and the NY State Thruway in rest areas, and some other places as well.

That's the only place I've seen one in the last decade; at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike somewhere near the meadowlands. We used to have them all over in PA and DE.

Arthur Treacher, btw, was in a LOT of Shirley Temple movies.

WizarDru said:
That's the only place I've seen one in the last decade; at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike somewhere near the meadowlands.

When I was in college, and used to go see the Dead and Phish all over the northeast, we used to hit the Roy Rogers in the rest areas so we could hit the Fixin's Bars to make salads. We'd order a Coke and small fries, then go and pile lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and use one of the sauces for dressing. It seemed like it was a Deadhead tradition, as we'd see lots of other Heads in the restaurant doing the same thing. :D

JoeGKushner

First Post
Jack in the Box

Ducks

Checkers

Probably some others that I can't think off right now.

All in the Chicago land area. In other places, they might still be around.

kenobi65

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Jack in the Box

{snip}

All in the Chicago land area. In other places, they might still be around.

Jack in the Box is still a fairly successful chain out on the West Coast. They expanded eastward in the '70s, and were in Chicago for a while (this was back when Rodney Allen Rippey did their commericals). At some point in the late 70s or early 80s, they retrenched, and pulled out of the Midwest.

sniffles

First Post
Skipper's seafood restaurants have all disappeared here in the Northwest, though I don't know if they were a chain anywhere else. We've also lost the Arctic Circle burger chain. A&W's are very rare here; I only know of one in the whole Portland metro area. Hot & Now is another burger chain that came and went, after trying to horn in on BK and McD by being ultra-cheap.

I miss Boston Market. And why is it that the tv stations advertise chains like Long John Silver's and Sonic, but we don't have them here?

der_kluge

Adventurer
sniffles said:
Skipper's seafood restaurants have all disappeared here in the Northwest, though I don't know if they were a chain anywhere else. We've also lost the Arctic Circle burger chain. A&W's are very rare here; I only know of one in the whole Portland metro area. Hot & Now is another burger chain that came and went, after trying to horn in on BK and McD by being ultra-cheap.

I miss Boston Market. And why is it that the tv stations advertise chains like Long John Silver's and Sonic, but we don't have them here?

A&W is sometimes paired up with Long John Silver's. In KC, there was an A&W, Long John Silver combo restaurant. I think these companies must have some relationship with PepsiCo, since they are often found together. There was a "KenTacoHut" in Kansas City, which was a Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC all rolled into one place. Here in Richmond, we have a LJS/KFC combo restaurant. I ate lunch there today, as a matter of fact.

My wife misses Boston Market and Fazoli's. I miss Sonic. They had all of those in KC, but none of them are in Richmond. Nearest Boston Market to us is in D.C., and there is a Sonic and a Fazoli's near the coast somewhere, but over an hour away. It makes us sad.

der_kluge

Adventurer
sniffles said:

A&W is sometimes paired up with Long John Silver's. In KC, there was an A&W, Long John Silver combo restaurant. I think these companies must have some relationship with PepsiCo, since they are often found together. There was a "KenTacoHut" in Kansas City, which was a Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC all rolled into one place. Here in Richmond, we have a LJS/KFC combo restaurant. I ate lunch there today, as a matter of fact.

My wife misses Boston Market and Fazoli's. I miss Sonic. They had all of those in KC, but none of them are in Richmond. Nearest Boston Market to us is in D.C., and there is a Sonic and a Fazoli's near the coast somewhere, but over an hour away. It makes us sad.

Remove ads