• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Late, lamented (or unlamented) fast-food chains

Alenda

First Post
Well, Fuquay-Varina is actually the result of the merging of two previously separate towns: Fuquay Springs (thus named for the natural mineral springs which bubble up from the ground) and Varina. I have heard people "mispronounce" the name of Fuquay-Varina in a way which would offend just about anyone's grandmother.

kenobi65

First Post
Alenda said:
Well, Fuquay-Varina is actually the result of the merging of two previously separate towns: Fuquay Springs (thus named for the natural mineral springs which bubble up from the ground) and Varina.

Suuuuuuuure it is... ;)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
There is a Boston Market here in Charlottesville. :)

That's good to know!

On the Little Caesar's and Shoney's - I know there is at least one Shoney's in Richmond, and I think Little Caesar's here as well.

Bront

The man with the probe
There was a Rocky Raccoco in my area for a while, which was single serve pan pizza. I though they went out of business, but I ran into one in a rest stop on the highway a while ago. I miss them on occasion.

No Shoney's or Perkins in this area. Never been to a Shoneys, but Perkins is good.

Sonic advertizes like crazy in this area, but I don't know of one within 30 miles of where I live, so seems kind of stupid.

kenobi65

First Post
Bront said:
There was a Rocky Raccoco in my area for a while, which was single serve pan pizza. I though they went out of business, but I ran into one in a rest stop on the highway a while ago. I miss them on occasion.

Rocky's still exists in Wisconsin, mostly in the Madison area (it was founded there). Probably 25% of my caloric intake at UW-Madison was from Rocky Rococco pizza. :D

They briefly expanded into the rest of Wisconsin and Illinois, but pulled back.

Bront said:
Sonic advertizes like crazy in this area, but I don't know of one within 30 miles of where I live, so seems kind of stupid.

All those Sonic ads you see are on national programming (they buy on the major networks, as well as a bunch of cable channels); everyone in the country sees those. Sonic doesn't specifically buy ads on local Chicago programming -- as you say, that would be stupid, as there aren't any Sonics within about 150 miles of here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here in D/FW, we still have Sonic, Boston Market, Lil' Ceasars, and Jack In The Box.

We lost our Shoneys and our Godfathers' Pizza...and up until recently, I thought we had lost our Mr. Gattis Pizza.

However, since I've largely given up on fast food, I don't keep track of their comings and goings anymore.

Bront

The man with the probe
kenobi65 said:
All those Sonic ads you see are on national programming (they buy on the major networks, as well as a bunch of cable channels); everyone in the country sees those. Sonic doesn't specifically buy ads on local Chicago programming -- as you say, that would be stupid, as there aren't any Sonics within about 150 miles of here.
So they buy programing on the local news, or the syndicated chanels? :uhoh: :confused:

Remove ads