Leif's 4E Adventuring in Encastulum [OOC 1]

Leif

Adventurer
I'm duly impressed! I've always dreamed of being a professional guitarist. I recently bought my first pro quality instrument - an ebony Epiphone Les Paul (see my avatar), and a 40W Peavey amp. to play it through.

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
Well that's going to be a lot of hours fiddling on the sofa! I envy you your wonderful hours of joy! Enjoy annoying your neighbors: remember it's not worth playing unless it's loud! :)

Leif

Adventurer
There's just one catch: the Les Paul is in my bedroom and the Peavey amp is out in my 'man cave.' So far I've only played the Les Paul through my 15w Marshall practice amp. (Which, admittedly does outperform its tiny size.) And, likewise, I've only played my red Epiphone SG Special* through the Peavey. This weekend may very well change that, however. I printed off some music today: Golden Earring's "Radar Love" and a couple of Journey songs. Neil Schon may not be known as a supreme headbanger, but he makes his Les Paul sound mighty sweet.

* I've decided that 'special' in this case, as when describing children, really means 'retarded,' because it doesn't have the super-hot humbuckers, nor does it have the coil-splitting of higher end models -- it's just two reasonably rockin' Gibson or Epiphone humbuckers and all the tonal variation that can be squeezed from a 3-way switch.

Yes, I'm hooked on Epiphones: I've got a black Les Paul Special, a red SG Special, a black DR100 acoustic dreadnought, and an ebony Les Paul 100 (that's my baby).

Last edited:

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
That's a nice little collection! I did a show last year that used songs from the Mod era and the guitarist, when playing The Who songs, had his hooked up to his amp on "jet engine" loud. It was a gorgeous sound. :) And my other friend who is in a Led Zep tribute band. So I'm a big fan of the Les Pauls! The ebony 100 is gorgeous.

Whilst I do play the guitar in some shows, I'm more of a bass collector: got myself a little Ibanez Gio, a heavy girl of an Aria SG and the sexy Fender Jazz.

However,for my sins, I'm a pianist/keyboard player first and foremost and have lots beautiful instruments (and yes it was LOADS of fun playing the Mod stuff! Keeeeyyyssss Soooollllloooooo!)

Maybe Firil should rename his two "axes"! Haha!

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks! I didn't mention the one electric guitar that I have that's not an epiphone: it's the first one I ever bought back in about 1983, and it's a blue Electra Phoenix. It's also actually the most expensive guitar of the lot by a good bit, but I had to buy it in an actual brick-and-mortar music store because there was no online GuitarCenter or Sweetwater back then.

Leif

Adventurer
I wouldn't do so for more than a day or two at most, but I will not pass judgment upon your attempted generosity. If they wish to act first, they can follow the thread more closely, no?

Leif

Adventurer
Guitar News

Well, they've finally done it! Gibson has unveiled their 2015 Les Paul line, and they are the sorriest excuses for axes that I've seen in awhile. Personally, I wouldn't have one at all, and I surely wouldn't pay the thousands that they are asking for retail prices! I do wish I had ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Les Paul Custom in either 2012 or 2013, but as it stands, I'm quite happy with my Epi Les Paul 100. Like I said before, it's more guitar than I can comfortably use to its potential.

Getting back to the new Gibson offerings for 2015: THEY SUCK! I would actually rather have a Fender Squier than one of them. Truth be told, the Fender Squier line and Gibson's Epiphone line actually have a lot in common. They're both Asian, factory made replicas of the true USA originals. They're both offered at a much lower, vaguely similar price compared to their American siblings.

And it's getting so that nowadays, if you find an American made guitar, you're going to pay through the nose, or other equally uncomfortable orifice, for the privilege of playing it. Martin, Gretsch, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, and Gibson all have domestically hand-made guitars for sale for prices as "low" as $1,000.00 to $2,000.00. Ibanez puts out some seriously crunchy metal shredders, but they make no bones about being Asian factory-made guitars. Epiphones are all virtually identical copies of Gibsons, but they're factory made in China, Japan, Singapore, etc., depending on the model and the year. The purists say that there is no substitute for Gibson quality. The regular folks say that the Epiphones play every bit as good, cost a mere fraction of the price, and even look as good, if you can get past the name printed on the headstock.

If I had an unlimited guitar budget to spend in 2014-15, I'd get an Ebony Epiphone Les Paul Custom, an Ebony Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and a black Eric Clapton signature model Fender Stratocaster. Yes, I'm only buying black guitars these days.

Last edited:

Remove ads