• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's compile errors we have found in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Jade Tyger

First Post
Seems like something is off with the Howler. It has a 20 Wisdom, Perception +8, but a passive Perception of 15. I assume it should be 18.

Last edited:

Seems like something is off with the Howler. It has a 20 Wisdom, Perception +8, but a passive Perception of 15. I assume it should be 18.
Maybe... but 5E doesn't have a requirement for NPC stats to match the mechanics that are used for PCs. Most of them do, but their are other exceptions to these types of things in other published NPCs.

It would be nice to know why when they don't match, but *shrugs*

Thurmas

Explorer
Unless I missed something somewhere else in the description, Zariel has an issue with her Horrid Touch ability. The ability is a an attack roll, but the description references a saving throw to end the Poisoned condition. However, there is no saving throw in the ability.

cmrscorpio

Explorer
For the Choker, it is listed as having a Challenge 1, but only worth 100xp. With such low hp and low damage, it should probably be Challenge 1/2 (100xp), but if the xp portion is the error, then it should be Challenge 1 (200xp)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
For the Choker, it is listed as having a Challenge 1, but only worth 100xp. With such low hp and low damage, it should probably be Challenge 1/2 (100xp), but if the xp portion is the error, then it should be Challenge 1 (200xp)
According to the Stat Blocks by Challenge Rating and Creatures by Environment tables, the choker should be Challenge 1 (200 XP). At least in the D&D Beyond version of MToF, which also incorrectly has "1 (100 XP)" in the main choker entry.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Zariel tieflings get branding smite at 5th level. Does anyone else's copy not list what spell slot level you cast it as (I would think you cast it as a 2nd-level spell)?

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes errata? I think it should say Dungeon Master's Guide, right?

MToF Errata.jpg

Remove ads