D&D 5E Let's discuss the Mystic v.3

Erechel

Explorer
I don't really allow multi-classing in my games (I'm a DM). But, yeah, the wu-jen is pretty much how I would handle the psionic-magic interaction, and the "innate spellcasting: psionics" of the MM. I would also manage them separately, much as the Pact Magic interacts with normal spellcasting. As for the level 11+, I agree with you: flat, flat, flatty flat.

The main problem lies on the first levels; I can't say enough how pissed am I about Adaptative Body, how cheaty and awful it is. I'm pretty convinced that when it comes to relevance its utterly broken. Of course, if you never have to worry about it if you aren't using the survival or exploration pillars (although it has an awfully useful utility in combat), but it's like say "well, I wouldn't mind about infinite magic missiles at 5th level. Why worry about combat imbalance? if you aren't fighting too much it doesn't matter how much damage the wizard does"

hejtmane

Explorer
Looking at Soul Knife talk about nothing more than a class for a dip for multiclass only it has no other redeeming quality as a stand alone class it only purpose in life is a 1-3 level dip

I mean realy in 20 levels they only get one attack period nothing else and the attack does not even scale and the + max 4 to hit and attack bonus yawn (can not even spend that until 9th level) and the extra attack is a bonus action but you are screwed there as while. Oh wow fight breaks out opps bonus action to create blades oh I do my one 1d8 attack yea 4.5+5 damage oh spend my points +4 yea I did 13.5 damage. Then next round on yea I get my next 2nd attack oh I do not get to add my dex or str damage modifier to second attack and I do not get an extra attack hell it can not even keep up with a melee rogue and sneak attack

9th level
Fighter dw with 2 weapon fighting I drawn two swords and do 3.5 +5 x 3 (and dw feat and we have 4.5 three times and when 11th level hits hahahaha) oh and I want to use my superiority die for another 4.5 damage or hell ranger for that matter 3.5 x 5 x 2 oh and add my colossal slayer 4.5 and he opened with hunters mark as his bonus action gets and extra 3.5 x 2 then goes to getting hunters mark on 3 attacks + colossal slayer. Hell a rogue sneak attack at 9th level is 5d6 so a twf rogue is laughing all the way to the bank and takes less damage

I mean really the soul knife soul focus is to be a bad ass psychic knife wielder and he is out classed by a freaking valor bard in melee combat and has way more cool versatility and usefulness.

Sure do not know what they were thinking with soul knife other than a multiclass dip because it is worthless outside the dip

Yes it is very rarely resisted but guess what even resisted at 1/2 damage the other class do the same or more damage on average or if they miss a hit still comes out on top that is not even the top fighter dps builds. That is so bad on so so many levels

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Looking at Soul Knife talk about nothing more than a class for a dip for multiclass only it has no other redeeming quality as a stand alone class it only purpose in life is a 1-3 level dip

I mean realy in 20 levels they only get one attack period nothing else and the attack does not even scale and the + max 4 to hit and attack bonus yawn (can not even spend that until 9th level) and the extra attack is a bonus action but you are screwed there as while. Oh wow fight breaks out opps bonus action to create blades oh I do my one 1d8 attack yea 4.5+5 damage oh spend my points +4 yea I did 13.5 damage. Then next round on yea I get my next 2nd attack oh I do not get to add my dex or str damage modifier to second attack and I do not get an extra attack hell it can not even keep up with a melee rogue and sneak attack

9th level
Fighter dw with 2 weapon fighting I drawn two swords and do 3.5 +5 x 3 (and dw feat and we have 4.5 three times and when 11th level hits hahahaha) oh and I want to use my superiority die for another 4.5 damage or hell ranger for that matter 3.5 x 5 x 2 oh and add my colossal slayer 4.5 and he opened with hunters mark as his bonus action gets and extra 3.5 x 2. Hell a rogue sneak attack at 9th level is 5d6 so a twf rogue is laughing all the way to the bank and takes less damage

I mean really the soul knife soul focus is to be a bad ass psychic knife wielder and he is out classed in every way hell a valor bard could go twf not it's strength and it be a better damage build and have way more cool versatility and usefulness.

Sure do not know what they were thinking with soul knife other than a multiclass dip because it is worthless outside the dip

It might still be a little underwhelming, but at 9th level, they would also be adding an extra d8 damage for that attack from potent psionics gained at level 8. Also, if melee effectiveness is what the soul blade is after then they should probably be looking at disciplines that aid this, such as the brute force discipline. With that single attack they can use the knock back option and potentially deal an additional 7d6 damage if they knock them into an object.

Still, I'd like them to gain at least the base extra attack at level 6. I also don't really see the point of them gaining martial weapon proficiency.

On a side note, can they spend 7 points to gain the +4 bonus at 3rd level? The Psi Limit specifies discipline which the soul knife's Hone the Blade isn't.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Giving the Soul Knife extra attack would make them horribly overpowered. They already can stack their weapon bonus up to +7, can nova for huge damage with Potent Psionics+Lethal Strike+Knockback. Sure its a huge PP cost, but they can gain them back from kills. This is also on top of the other Disciplines they can take, like the Spell-like abilities, making them essentially a gish that is good at melee, spells, and good versatility by swapping out Psychic Focus for different passives.

hejtmane

Explorer
It might still be a little underwhelming, but at 9th level, they would also be adding an extra d8 damage for that attack from potent psionics gained at level 8. Also, if melee effectiveness is what the soul blade is after then they should probably be looking at disciplines that aid this, such as the brute force discipline. With that single attack they can use the knock back option and potentially deal an additional 7d6 damage if they knock them into an object.

Still, I'd like them to gain at least the base extra attack at level 6. I also don't really see the point of them gaining martial weapon proficiency.

On a side note, can they spend 7 points to gain the +4 bonus at 3rd level? The Psi Limit specifies discipline which the soul knife's Hone the Blade isn't.

The d8 helps but gets it 5 levels after ranger or superiority die they do not get disciplines they give that up if they had access to brute force we would not be having this discussion. They need to make two changes to the build add the 2nd attack at 6th level and make creating the weapons the same as the free weapon interaction everyone else gets.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The d8 helps but gets it 5 levels after ranger or superiority die they do not get disciplines they give that up if they had access to brute force we would not be having this discussion. They need to make two changes to the build add the 2nd attack at 6th level and make creating the weapons the same as the free weapon interaction everyone else gets.
Why don't they gain access to the brute force discipline? They can still select it, they just don't gain the 2 bonus disciplines other subclasses get.

hejtmane

Explorer
Why don't they gain access to the brute force discipline? They can still select it, they just don't gain the 2 bonus disciplines other subclasses get.

According to the sheet they list out the Psionic Disciplines by Order Soul Knife has no listing then I misunderstood that they still get one discipline then they come out a lot better with Venom Strike or Brute force changes the build now they are more like a paladin with smite slots

hejtmane

Explorer
On a side I forgot to add that I really like the flexibility of the immortal build people because not every one wants to be a raging barbarian on Monk (most people think eastern with the builds) this kind of gives you a different concept option

Horwath

Legend
For soul knife:

remove bonus proficiencies.

Add unarmored AC option of AC=10+dex+int.

Add two weapon fightig style.

At lvl6 instead of extra attack make off hand attack part of the Attack action.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
For soul knife:

remove bonus proficiencies.

Add unarmored AC option of AC=10+dex+int.

Add two weapon fightig style.

At lvl6 instead of extra attack make off hand attack part of the Attack action.

Making the offhand attack part of the Attack action is a good idea, but will probably make them very powerful. With the amount of things they can do with their bonus action, this will free up their action economy and make full use of abilities such as Mystical Recovery, which they sorely need due to amount of time spent in the front lines.

Remove ads