Level Up! ? Kncockspell? KQ? Fight On! ?

I buy, in either print or PDF...

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Knockspell and Fight On!. I own both the PDFs and paper copies (including the hardcover compilation for FO! 1-4).

I've contributed articles to the first two issues of Knockspell, and I believe that I have one coming out in FO! #5 as well.

Long live the Old School Renaissance! B-)

Korgoth

First Post
I think the poll would be a lot more informative if there were a "None of the Above" option.

So far I have been into Fight On; I plan to get Knockspell in the future.

Corathon

First Post
I get Fight On!, Knockspell, and Kobold Quarterly, all in print.

Level Up is Goodman Games' new 4E magazine, correct? Not my cup of tea.

I haven't heard of Big Iron Vault.

I also download Footprints (no hardcopy available).

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I get Level Up, and it is pretty great (after the one issue I've read).

It comes pretty close to being a magazine written entirely by Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel...which is awesome. Rudel is a reliable "small ball" publisher of D20 stuff that I was really, really fond of.

Everything he's done in my copy of Level Up is useful and interesting. It's not often that that happens in RPG magazines.

Andy Collins' opening bit is not that great (basically a short anecdote about how he played fast and loose with the rules this one time, and in a manner that doesn't really address the topic outlined in his article's title).

Brendan LaSalle is totally wasted in the role of an Advice Columnist. This is the guy that created XCrawl for god sake. Top notch talent should not be spent telling people that "The Goal is to Have Fun" and "Don't Play Favorites if your Girlfriend is a Player".

Anyways, it's good. More Rudel, More LaSalle, Less Collins.

Treebore

First Post
I think the poll would be a lot more informative if there were a "None of the Above" option.

I don't need a "none of the above option, since I am only interested in getting an idea of who is buying, not who isn't.

Intending to and wanting to, but unable to because of finances can count too. Been there, done that, which is why I have only been subscribing in the last month or two.

For Fight On! I bought the hard cover compilation special they offered to win the Lulu contest, and I am not only darn glad that is what I got, but I was also greatful that I could afford it.

Mythmere1

First Post
Actually, I suppose that if I'm going to shill Knockspell Magazine with links to reviews, I might as well go whole hog and link to the product page. This is the link to the whole storefront, since the magazine's available in perfect-bound, saddle-stitch, and pdf:

Swords and Wizardry's Storefront - Lulu.com

WARNING - this isn't 3e or 4e material; it's for 0e, 1e, Swords & Wizardry, OSRIC, etc. The old stuff. About half of this issue is really good for 3e or 4e players who want to mess around with "old school dungeon design," because that's largely not rules specific and there are three good articles about it. But if you play 3e or 4e and you're not interested in old school stuff, DO NOT BUY - it's totally off base for what you're looking for.

grodog

Hero
I'm buying Knockspell and Fight On! as they are published, in print, and I'm contributing to both (I have a regular column in KS called "From Kuroth's Quill" and an adventure that will eventually appear in FO!).

I used to subscribe to Kobold Quarterly but stopped after issue #4 or so, since I wasn't interested in the 4e content and had stopped supporting the Wolfgang's Open Design projects with Arabian Nights.

I'm not interested in Level Up (since it's 4e focused) and I haven't heard of Big Iron Vault or Iridia Zine; I've heard of Dragon Roots, but it didn't look that interesting to me. I've seen Polymancer in our local comic books store, but it also didn't look that interesting to me.

Remove ads