D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Can't battleminds & wardens come up with a whole lotta surges, too?

True, though Wardens could fall somewhat under the 'fighter' rubric (or not depending on your flavoring of them). Battleminds are just weird...

Just to comment on what [MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION] said, yes, high surge characters like fighters GENERALLY use a lot of them in combat, BUT they don't HAVE to necessarily. Also, what about non-combat situations? This is a problem too, all of a sudden things shift around a whole bunch unless you are careful to keep a fixed mix of encounter types.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Anecdotally the fighter is the least likely to end the day with extra HS. If that is par for the course, he needs his HS more its a higher cost. I guess if low risk circumstances were in place, maybe.

Additionally if the DMG2 is right on the cost rate 1/10 of a magic item price == 1 healing surge , ie A bribe which actually grants auto successes in your skill challenges at level 1 will be 36 gp. This is higher than the cost of most level 1 rituals. Hence that healing surge is about twice or thrice as expensive as the normal price for most rituals and after you exceed the level of the ritual unless the ritual cost scale in most cases the price is even less.

It's basically why I can give a skill check to reduce the cost of a practice instead of just the raw hs cost.

The other consideration is how much daily funds would you grant for a feat Call it Family Wealth, when you can get 2 extra healing surges with a Durable feat. ...

Basically I see the "Stipend" from wealthy status being analogous to the Bards class feature and its also a daily resource of a different flavor.

True, though Wardens could fall somewhat under the 'fighter' rubric (or not depending on your flavoring of them). Battleminds are just weird...

Just to comment on what [MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION] said, yes, high surge characters like fighters GENERALLY use a lot of them in combat, BUT they don't HAVE to necessarily. Also, what about non-combat situations? This is a problem too, all of a sudden things shift around a whole bunch unless you are careful to keep a fixed mix of encounter types.
Nods...

Which reminds me ...once you have spent the effort to get the fighter trained in Arcana or Religion and likely didnt dump stat Intellect and spent the feat to gain rituals AND another ie my "Physical Adept" to enable another daily resource to enable more usage of those rituals. His being a fighter has rather been shifted... in some sense he is multi-classing.

Then you can sideways glance at the bard getting free daily rituals with no actual coast.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Just to comment on what @Garthanos said, yes, high surge characters like fighters GENERALLY use a lot of them in combat, BUT they don't HAVE to necessarily. Also, what about non-combat situations? This is a problem too, all of a sudden things shift around a whole bunch unless you are careful to keep a fixed mix of encounter types.

The premise of allowing anyone Healing surge use in Skill Challenges and skilled ie Martial Practitioners (now to do so more efficiently) ... or allowing anyone to expend gold (but ritualists to do so more efficiently) -- brings this back on subject. The I spend a single surge to spare the party similar individual expenditures. ie the repercussions of skill challenges can be expressed in healing surges.

I think there are certainly hinged assumptions that D&D will be fairly rife with risks.

-- Hmmmm bribery might be a form of roguish martial practice works mechanically - not overly legendary... but knowing someones perfect price. I am picturing Loki knowing what to trade for what not just the buying influence cheaply. Hmmmm "Finding the Perfect Price". It could be a story vehicle for the sequential item quest line perhaps could be leveraged into McGuffin some times.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
-- Hmmmm bribery might be a form of roguish martial practice works mechanically - not overly legendary... but knowing someones perfect price. I am picturing Loki knowing what to trade for what not just the buying influence cheaply. Hmmmm "Finding the Perfect Price". It could be a story vehicle for the sequential item quest line perhaps could be leveraged into McGuffin some times.

One thing I find about MP is I find myself noting legendary sources and wanting to discuss how the practices can bring on classic story lines. In comparison it's rather like rituals are bland.

One thing I find about MP is I find myself noting legendary sources and wanting to discuss how the practices can bring on classic story lines. In comparison it's rather like rituals are bland.

I think the rituals often have a bit too much D&Dism to them. I mean, D&D's milieu is fun and all, but it is NOT classic at all, nor literary in any great sense.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think the rituals often have a bit too much D&Dism to them. I mean, D&D's milieu is fun and all, but it is NOT classic at all, nor literary in any great sense.

I definitely havent abandoned D&Disms in this project arguably early martial classes very much inspired many of the practices, but even more one can find sources which inspired those.

Not so easy to do with D&D magic (The Tuatha de Dannan may be one of the few)

I definitely havent abandoned D&Disms in this project arguably early martial classes very much inspired many of the practices, but even more one can find sources which inspired those.

Not so easy to do with D&D magic (The Tuatha de Dannan may be one of the few)

What I mean is, D&D material itself is not very often really giving a legendary or mythic feel. There is SOME of that, but a lot of it is more kind of Gonzo Kitchen Sink Fantasy with a dash of Tolkien for salt.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am considering a martial practice for

Oaths of Fealty
This practice binds both master and subject, when there is land in payment it is sometimes called thane hood. Mechanically it enables efficient "hiring" of soldier followers it is similar to the hospitality practice in that it is rather specific about what you can acquire and generally works only when you have other practitioners to ahem "hire". This practice also like hospitality hinges in the abstract on reputation. And the price to acquire and maintain is dependent on the general potency (level) and also whether your followers gain glory and similar things. Maintaining your Thanes is an ongoing price though sometimes it may be paid off screen by land grant or via pure loyalty and conferred glory (these can be abstracted in karma points).

I also think in an Arcane Power II, there needs to be a Zombie army rituals.

I know not enough details but I think a starting thought.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
just rewatched a show featuring a very 4e flavored rogue called the Prince of Persia...

Tree Top runner is sometimes known as Roof Top Runner

Remove ads