[Living Pathfinder] Little Rock of Horrors

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Pari's nut-brown face pales as the halfling hurls his insult, but the priest of Kavan takes a deep breath and works to calm himself. Making sure to keep his tone reasonable, he tries once more. "Look, I can see the lad's hopeless with a boat . . . he plainly has no business being on the water. So let us do what we can to get him, poor mudfoot that he is, out of your domain and onto good solid land where he belongs." He looks around at his allies - those who seem to have the same outlook about the situation as he does - and absently catches the string of his beltpouch with a finger, causing the coin inside to jingle. "My friends and I will see him out of your way, and we can all go happily about our business."

Last edited:

Lord_camulus

First Post
See in the boy in distress in the water and the three halflings badgering him about his lack of aquabatics Mariah gracefully walks over to the water to render assistance just in time to hear the gnome's words of relief toward the wet lad in the water. She calls out to the gondoliers with her soothing voice unveiling her head from her cloak. Her long glistening platinum blond hair flows angelically in the cool air.
"Greetings fair travelers what seems to be the trouble? Is this young lad bothering you my good sirs.?Perhaps if we helped him out together we can prevent your boat from turning over."
Though she despises vanity and sees herself as more than just a pretty face Mariah has used her charm in the past to defuse situations such as this back home and has learned that as long as she stays calm and collected men are more likely to forget their troubles around her.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Garnet looks to either side of the landing: there are plenty of mooring poles where the boy can tie up his longboat but they are narrowly spaced, designed for the sleeker canal-craft rather than a wider, more seaworthy craft like this boy’s longboat. Despite that, her plan of pulling the longboat off to the side of the landing seems very feasible, so long as she (or someone else) can get the halflings to lay off their harassment of the boy long enough to accomplish it. And not far down the walkway she sees a length of wood that would serve as a makeshift gangplank.

Heinrich exits the inn and is moving towards an open spot just to the side of a young, wiry woman when she conveniently (for Heinrich anyway) takes a step forward clearing the path for him. He steps into his spot just as the young woman threatens the halfling gondoliers with some sort of vial or flask; he can't quite tell what she holds.

Ashleigh's threat doesn't have the impact she might have hoped for; the closest halfling snorts obviously not worried, the other two don't seem to even notice. The cluster of gondoliers off to the side murmur amongst themselves and Ashleigh can catch snatches of their whispered words, "…izzat an oyster?" His companion snickers. Not quite the desired effect but a particular thought comes to Ashleigh: amused men don't generally start brawls.

Pari catches the halfling man's reluctant attention and it's clear he's more swayed by the clear implication that Pari isn't acting alone than by his words. And the jingle of coin seems to make him all the more receptive to what Pari wants.

The halfling is on the verge of making a slightly less hostile response to Pari when the unearthly beauty, Mariah, steps out of the crowd and intercedes. He grumbles, "Trouble is, he's not supposed to have that thing here. Barely got's it under control and that brute could tear the side out of these crafts. These're heirlooms, they are!" As Mariah continues to ply the halfling with placating words it is clear she's winning him over. He calls out to the leader and loudest of the three. "Yo, Mossimo, leave off trying to bean that fellow and nudge his boat over to the side, there. Let 'im get his business done. We could use a drink, don't ya think?” He winks at Pari.

The halfling, Mossimo, seems surprised that the other is giving him orders but when he takes in the crowd on the landing he helps the second halfling push the boy's boat over to the mooring posts.

The boy seems a little less unsteady now that he doesn’t have to worry about getting clobbered by an oar and he manages to tie off the longboat. It is moored at a right angle from the posts and blocks off several slips causing a few of the gonoliers to sigh from the persecution but the lad doesn't seem to worry about that. He does seem in a hurry to get ashore and he grabs an old canvas sack that's wrapped around some obviously heavy object. He stands near the edge of his craft and sizes up the distance as if he can't wait for Garnet's gangplank and has to jump to shore right now.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Alright, alright lad, quit your gawkin' and come ashore. There you go, boys, don't spend it all in one place!" He flips each of the halflings a silver piece after extending the gangplank for the boy and his bag.

mfloyd3

Explorer
"Steady, lad," Garnet tells him, laying the length of wood to span the space between the boy's craft and the shore. She keeps a foot on it to steady it as he comes ashore. "Whatever it is, you'll get it ashore faster if you skip the swim."

vl.arandur

First Post
A lesser woman might have been perturbed by her words' lack of impact, but not Ashleigh. Though her back-mind was disappointed that she wouldn't yet be lighting anything on fire, in truth she was relieved that it hadn't come to that. There were a lot of people to consider, and she was a better strategist when she didn't have to think so much as throw things. Nonetheless, she stood aside and let those who were faster at posting - I mean moving - than her help the boy ashore, staying near for curiosity's sake. The lilting melody in her head seemed to echo the boy's relief, which was nice; it was annoying when her inner music contrasted with the mood of the world around her. She placed the vial back in her bag, and avoided eye contact with anyone - as was her wont - focusing instead on the item the boy struggled to carry ashore.

GlassEye

Adventurer
The halflings take their coin with an abrupt change of mood, now seeming all cheery and eager to settle the matter and slip inside the Dunn Wright for a shot of something smooth and smokey. The lingering crowd slowly breaks apart mumbling with a minor amount of discontent that they didn't get to see their brawl.

The boy fairly dances in his boat with his eagerness and the plank is barely down before he is scuttling across it. He looks to be fairly common for a boy on the verge of manhood. He's dressed plainly but well and he's a bit windblown but that's to be expected. As he steps up on the walkway he bursts into a torrent of speech: "You with the army? 'Cause I need to hire the army to get rid of those little men my da's gone an' he left me to take care of things I done it before but this time I done something wrong and the light's out and the little men won't let me get back in an' my da's gonna kill me when he gets back 'cause this never shoulda happened and if you can fight 'em off then I'd be grateful and I'm not asking you to work for free. I got's gold." He awkwardly maneuvers the object in the sack around until he can peel open the canvas and reveal the edge of a thick slab, perhaps a platter or large plate, of what looks to be solid gold.

vl.arandur

First Post
It is amazing what a flash of gold can do to one's thoughts, acting as both a lubricant and a focus. With a bit of extra coin, maybe I could finish the research on that water-resistant flame I've been studying, was one of the several thoughts that flew by Ashleigh's mind half a moment before she stepped forward. "Army's not worth much in these parts, kid. But tell you what, I've got enough firepower on me to wipe out three armies. If you need help, I'm your woman."

Lord_camulus

First Post
"Thank you three very much my good sirs." Mariah smiles kindly at the men and moves to the young lad and the others helping him.

Last edited:

Lord_camulus

First Post
Catching a glimpse of the glittering item in the boy's arms and hearing that he is in need of more aid than just boating lessons she becomes intrigued and moves in closely. An item like that would be worth a lot of coin and could attract unwanted attention. "You know young man it's probably best if you keep that wrapped up tightly around these parts." Mariah glances about cautiously.

Remove ads