Pathfinder 1E Living Pathfinder

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I also haven't followed L4W (just recently was invited to join a new game there) so I may have it wrong, but the impression I got was that there's a very well documented and settled central island. When someone starts a new game/adventure they have the option to set it in a previously documented area or starting a new island. There are some guidelines about distance to the new island so that creation of a new space doesn't conflict with previously created material.

My thought was something similar. I was thinking that we might get more participation if we set things up so that a GM who is interested in running a game with a different 'flavor' than has already been established could choose a location that suits them. For example, lets say the 'origin point,' the place we establish as the 'center of the world' or what have you, has a distinctly European flavor. Even more specifically, a German feel. One person may want to start a game with a more Spanish feel - this game could be started fairly close (in world terms) to the original space. The next person wants a game with more Middle Eastern overtones, and might need to start in a location farther away from the 'center.' Now there's another person who has some ideas for a Spanish type game, and decides to set it between the 'center' and the original 'Spanish' game because he's thinking that while it will be primarily 'Spanish' it will have more English or Germanic influences. Sooner or later these expansions will meet.

I think this could be worked with the points of light idea with a little adjudication and an agreement that anyone who designs a fairly well settled place ensures there's plenty of room for wilderness of varying CR around it. This shouldn't be a problem with an entire world to work in.

And I'm not set on using my map in particular - it's just one I've put a lot of work into so it's 'ready.' I do like the idea of starting with a geographically complete world. I think this would provide needed structure and framework.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
One idea for populating your new continent would be to solicit ideas from the community and then vote on the best submissions. Show everyone the map you want to use, give the areas names, and let people come up with their own ideas for the population, politics, economies, religions, history, average CR's, etc. Even though we are just discovering the continent, there will be indigenous people there with their own varying degrees of civilization. To cover DM's who want to come up with their own flavor you can leave sections of the world unexplored and leave those open for their own creations.

I like the idea of a fort on a harbor where ships from the LEW are landing with people coming to explore the new continent. From the fort adventurers set out to learn about all these new areas and expanding the knowledge of the people back in the old world.

Because pathfinder is designed to be backwards compatible with 3.5, I still would like to see some way for players of LEW to transfer the basics of their character over to LPW so their progress is not lost entirely.

Also, there was a mention on the other thread that we couldn't use the Golarion setting due to the interference with the Pathfinder Societies. I don't know much about the PS, but do they ever play those online or are those only for game stores and other events? Would it be possible to run a Pathfinder Societies forum here like the Living Worlds? It would save a lot of world building work if we could use their established setting.

renau1g

First Post
Just a word from a resident judge in L4W about the Transitive Isles. Essentially the goal isn't to get hemmed in by the setting and to allow DM's the flexibility to add new elements into it with minimal invasiveness. There's one "main" island which is stable, but the rest are always moving, making travel treacherous. The one nice thing with running your own homebrew is you don't have to worry about stepping on toes or having things you've come up with invalidated by new updates (I'm looking at you Forgotten Realms 4e)

Here's the link to the wiki we set-up:

L4W Wiki

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I gave this some thought last night [snip] ..... [/snip]
I know Paizo has disallowed the Golarion setting, but they may be willing to allow the deities (IMHO, an excellent pantheon!), planar settings, demons and devils, etc. That would get a good bit done for us.

FYI: I have already requested the pernission to use the dieties/ planer/ evil outsider info and am awaiting a response.

Because pathfinder is designed to be backwards compatible with 3.5, I still would like to see some way for players of LEW to transfer the basics of their character over to LPW so their progress is not lost entirely.

This has possible merit, but it would have to get a collaberative acceptance with the LEW judges for something so extensively open, it may require more then the usual 2 judges approval.

Also, there was a mention on the other thread that we couldn't use the Golarion setting due to the interference with the Pathfinder Societies. I don't know much about the PS, but do they ever play those online or are those only for game stores and other events? Would it be possible to run a Pathfinder Societies forum here like the Living Worlds? It would save a lot of world building work if we could use their established setting.

this also seems to have promise as to a solution. Let me do a bit of research and find out some specifics on this.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
This has possible merit, but it would have to get a collaberative acceptance with the LEW judges for something so extensively open, it may require more then the usual 2 judges approval.

Actually, I would say they have no authority over your PC's and if LPF decided to allow/grant PC's from LEW to be re-created over in LPF there's nothing that those judges could do to stop it, if they wanted it. Now, if you're talking about retiring said PC's in LEW there's still nothing that they would be involved in, just the retirement of your PC's.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I stand at the register a silly grin on my face. I hand the cashier my purchase and she scans it, soon it will be mine. All it's secerts all it's knowledge for my very own. The young lady looks at me and says "$53.47 please."

And my girlfriend says, "I can't believe you spent that much on one book."

I don't think non-gamers will every understand. LOL :p

I now own the PF campaign setting, will help me with world building ideals.

HM

covaithe

Explorer
I was the one who went through the process of creating the L4W forum. Here's what I did, as far as I can recall.

1. I created a social group: EN World D&D / RPG News - Social Groups, and asked people who were interested to join it.
2. Once a certain number of people had joined the group (I think it was 10), it gave me a link on the group admin page to create a private forum for the group. I did that.
3. We used that forum for discussion, planning, worldbuilding, and, when we were ready, playing games.
4. We created a thread in Meta asking Morrus to link that forum from the Living Worlds subforum. At the time, he wanted to see how the private forums concept would work out, so he asked us to wait and see. We did. After perhaps six months, when activity had picked up quite a bit, we asked again, and he did it.

If I had it to do over again, I would have created a judge ENWorld account to create the social group with. The reason for that is that the person who creates the group becomes the moderator of the private forum, and doesn't have the power to add more moderators. If it's a shared account between the judges, then they can all be mods, and the forum isn't broken if the person who happened to create it disappears.

renau1g

First Post
Someone needs to set-up a new user id and then set-up the social group with that account. We have one for L4W & one for LEB. There's no data to have there, just the name and an e-mail address that we set-up for the two id's (the same one you send you review requests to). I'd wait until you decide on who's interested in handling the admin first as they'll have access to it so prefereably someone who wants to be a judge for the setting should set it up. At least that's my 2 coppers

Remove ads