Looking Back At The Alternity Role-Playing Game

The Alternity Player’s Handbook and Gamemaster Guide together form a combined 512 page comprehensive ruleset for near future and sci-fi adventure. A new version of the game is slated for 2018 and made EN World’s most anticipated RPG for 2018 poll. This review explores the original edition. Many of the authors of the first edition are working on the new version.

The Alternity Player’s Handbook and Gamemaster Guide together form a combined 512 page comprehensive ruleset for near future and sci-fi adventure. A new version of the game is slated for 2018 and made EN World’s most anticipated RPG for 2018 poll. This review explores the original edition. Many of the authors of the first edition are working on the new version.

Alternity uses a variety of dice alongside a roll under d20 check. An extra die could add or subtract to this roll. Four outcomes are possible: failure or Marginal success, Ordinary success, Good success, or an Amazing success. Stat blocks included all needed levels to make reading results easier. The dice system is not revolutionary although replacing modifiers with an additional die was new to me in the late 90s. What really Alternity thrived on though was choices, options, and attention to detail.

Players choose a species (if aliens are an option), a career (which provides suggested skills), and one of four professions: combat specs, diplomats, free agents, or tech ops. Each profession has two or three special abilities. In addition to ability scores and skills, each character may also choose perks and flaws. Optional templates took some of the work out of building characters.

The alien species included standards like the reptilian t’sa and Wookie like weren. The sesheyan was a batlike alien that thrived in darkness. I like all the included aliens and felt they interacted in interesting both with human characters and with each other.

The game includes gear, computers, vehicles, starships, and alien artifacts (the last two covered in the Gamemaster Guide along with starship construction rules). For characters, the game offers optional mutations, psionics, and cybertech.

Ship systems included various stations with skill needed to operate it and what the role was. Nine stations included command, pilot, engineering, sensors, and weapons. A sample starship was a trader-class complete with a detailed ship schematic.

GMs are provided with a wide range of tools as well. An included adventure used fast-play rules to introduce the rules. NPC templates and around thirty creatures aid in world building. Campaign design advice includes progress levels to help set up technology. For starfaring games there are star sector, star systems, and planet building rules. A detailed sample star system and planet map are included as usable examples. Adventure design includes adventure hook ideas. There are even AD&D conversion rules.

Star*Drive was the first campaign setting released for Alternity and the species and starships in the rules existed in that setting. It is an easy jump from learning the rules to running a starfaring sci-fi Star*Drive game.

Dragon magazine also provided support for Alternity. The aliens from Star Frontiers were updated to the new rules. Having a dralisite serving alongside a sesheyan on a starfaring ship enhanced my enjoyment of all the species even further.

Alternity expanded into three campaign settings, several setting neutral rulebooks, and novels. Star*Drive had the greatest amount of support. Dark Matter covered modern conspiracies (like the X-Files on steroids). Gamma World was reborn using the rules but had no books beyond the main rulebook.

The new Alternity is likely to cover a campaign centered on humans in the solar system to start. Many of the rules have been updated or changed to make a more modern system. But the details, options, and choices are likely to be baked in again. Campaign and adventure support are already planned.

Alternity is a great game, whether you try the classic version or the free playtest of the new rules. Traveling through space to alien worlds, dealing with inhuman monsters close to home, or living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland are all possibilities.

contributed by Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Still have my books (well, my son does). I ran Dark Matter with it and man, for a system that looks so clunky, I still remember being impressed at how well it played. I remember hoping that more of Alternity would make it into 3e and Star Wars, but alas.

Probably helped that Dark Matter was Achingly cool as a setting.

giant.robot

Adventurer
I guess my primary question would be what distinguishes Alternity from core Traveler or d6 Space in terms of what you could do with it. I mean, I'm sure there are significant differences in default setting, but is there any strong reason to favor it as an SF rule system and for what sort of games?

Alternity was a generic core set of rules with optional rules to cover different genres and settings. So unlike Traveller or D6 Space you could easily do planetary romance, modern occult, space fantasy, or a bunch of other not-quite-science-fiction-but-not-high-fantasy settings. The FX system let you plug in different supernatural or super science abilities with no extra effort or house ruling. FX are flexible but not so much as to be unwieldy.

If you pick up the Star*Drive book you had a pretty interesting space opera sandbox. The Star*Drive setting had a fair amount of support with supplements. D6 Space was essentially Star Wars with no IP so the GM needed to provide all the setting details. Traveller (depending on the edition) either has no explicit setting or the universe of the Third Imperium. Whether you enjoy the Star*Drive or 3I setting is entirely subjective.

When it was released Alternity was interesting because it was from WotC/TSR and had a lot of good supplements with high production values. There were obvious ties to AD&D so your investment in those books was useful with Alternity without too much effort. It was also (IME) easier to get a game up and running than with GURPS or Hero since there was less of a character building mini-game in front of a campaign.

aramis erak

Legend
Alternity vs Traveller -

Basically, similar trope sets, but the biggest difference is in the characters.

Alternity is class and level, skill driven, with talents. Damage is done to hit points, armor reduces damage most of the time.

Classic Traveller is classless, skill driven, and does not use class levels. Damage is done to Attributes, and armor makes to hit rolls harder.

MegaTraveller is classless, skill driven, no class levels, Damage to hit points resolved post-combat into damage to attributes, armor reduces damage.

TNE is classless, skill driven, no class levels. Damage is to hit points by location. Armor reduces damage.

T4 is classless, skill driven, no class levels. Damage is to attributes, armor reduces damage

T5 is classless, skill driven, no class levels. Damage is to attributes, and I can't quite wrap my head around the damage.

All the above editions of traveller have similar (CT) to vastly more detail levels in ship building.

The various trade systems vary in detail levels, but cover much the same ground.

The world/system generation in Traveller varies; with only one option, Alternity's is middle of the pack.

The Dark*Matter setting is superficially similar to Traveller, but with Alternity's much shorter tech level system covering a wider range of technology...
Traveller tech ranges from 0 (no appreciable through basic stone and wood) through 7 or 8 (modern) to 15 (Advanced Fusion), with Artificial Gravity at TL 8 or 9 (editions vary on this).
Traveller TL15 is roughly Alternity PL7 bordering on PL8. PL 9 is roughly Traveller TL 20-25.

There's also a difference of tone, but Dark*Matter can be run reasonably with Traveller, but the fidelity of going the other way is much lower, due to the PL system. Traveller TL's 9-15 are all roughly within PL 7, and are the majority of the 3I setting.

I guess my primary question would be what distinguishes Alternity from core Traveler or d6 Space in terms of what you could do with it. I mean, I'm sure there are significant differences in default setting, but is there any strong reason to favor it as an SF rule system and for what sort of games?

You cou ld play X-File like sci-fi with it (Dark Matter). It also had mutations which meant you could play post ap (Gamma World).

As far as the rules they covered the same starship style adventuring of Traveller and d6 Space. It used a range of dice to roll for difficulty which allowed for a wide range of challenges and outcomes. You had four possible levels of success and the possible outcomes from marginal to the highest level were pretty well documented. It was a robust skill based system with a sliding scale of difficulty and outcome.

evildmguy

Explorer
You cou ld play X-File like sci-fi with it (Dark Matter). It also had mutations which meant you could play post ap (Gamma World).

As far as the rules they covered the same starship style adventuring of Traveller and d6 Space. It used a range of dice to roll for difficulty which allowed for a wide range of challenges and outcomes. You had four possible levels of success and the possible outcomes from marginal to the highest level were pretty well documented. It was a robust skill based system with a sliding scale of difficulty and outcome.

I agree with both but I want to also point out what it did for skills. One of the aspects of the skill system that I really liked was something called Rank Benefits. As you got to certain ranks in skills (which are capped at 12), you get certain beneifts. Sometimes it was a bonus to figure things out, or reduce the time it takes to do a task. In combat, it let you do more than one attack for an action. This is awesome!

What this did was allow the system to differentiate between those talented and those skilled. (And both, of course.) A character who has a high DEX and low skill compared to a person that has low to average DEX and high skill means that they might have the same chances to hit. The higher skilled person, though, will have more options! I really liked that!

It also had an early version of the skill challenge. It also had that so many successed were needed before so many failures. However, that level of success system meant that you can get more successes than one on a roll. So, again, a highly skilled or talented person could do a task a bit faster than the average.

There were many subtle things about the system that took me years to see how well it handled things. I still haven't seen anything close to it but am hopeful about the new version!

Alternity was a generic core set of rules with optional rules to cover different genres and settings. So unlike Traveller or D6 Space you could easily do planetary romance, modern occult, space fantasy, or a bunch of other not-quite-science-fiction-but-not-high-fantasy settings. The FX system let you plug in different supernatural or super science abilities with no extra effort or house ruling. FX are flexible but not so much as to be unwieldy.

If you pick up the Star*Drive book you had a pretty interesting space opera sandbox. The Star*Drive setting had a fair amount of support with supplements. D6 Space was essentially Star Wars with no IP so the GM needed to provide all the setting details. Traveller (depending on the edition) either has no explicit setting or the universe of the Third Imperium. Whether you enjoy the Star*Drive or 3I setting is entirely subjective.

When it was released Alternity was interesting because it was from WotC/TSR and had a lot of good supplements with high production values. There were obvious ties to AD&D so your investment in those books was useful with Alternity without too much effort. It was also (IME) easier to get a game up and running than with GURPS or Hero since there was less of a character building mini-game in front of a campaign.

d6 is likewise generic, with various SF, Fantasy, Modern, Post Apocalypse, etc. settings, adventures, etc. It also has the virtue of a VAST library of Star Wars stuff which it is compatible with, if you want to run some sort of Space Opera (and much of that kind of stuff is pretty generic, you can file off the serial numbers in a jiffy). I'm not saying its better/as good as Alternity/Star*Drive/Dark Matter/whatever, just that from the outside there's a fair degree of similarity in terms of what is available, except d6 is still a fairly well-supported system (albeit a lot of the current support is fan stuff).

Traveler of course needs little introduction. As a general Sci-Fi and fairly gritty Space Opera it is a hard game to beat in a lot of ways. The rules are very solid, easily mastered, and WORK (witness that it basically hasn't changed much since 1977 and still holds up). Again, not saying its better than anything else, and there are always good reasons to pick different systems for different games, but you could easily use Traveler for at least any sort of modern/future system where you want a fairly realistic but easily playable game. Nobody much seems to have ever bothered to do adaptations, but it seems quite straightforward how that would work...

It also had an early version of the skill challenge. It also had that so many successed were needed before so many failures. However, that level of success system meant that you can get more successes than one on a roll. So, again, a highly skilled or talented person could do a task a bit faster than the average.

That sounds like a pretty good way to handle it. I have a similar setup in my 4e hack.

aramis erak

Legend

As far as the rules they covered the same starship style adventuring of Traveller and d6 Space.

No. Traveller's trade system was not mirrored, and having that trade system is the heart of many (most of mine, most of my friends' games) Traveller campaigns.

D6 SW had GG6... which did for SW what Bk2 and Bk6 did for Traveller...

make a reasonable system for the GM to use so that trade isn't monte hall nor insta-broke.

No. Traveller's trade system was not mirrored, and having that trade system is the heart of many (most of mine, most of my friends' games) Traveller campaigns.

D6 SW had GG6... which did for SW what Bk2 and Bk6 did for Traveller...

make a reasonable system for the GM to use so that trade isn't monte hall nor insta-broke.

Eh, lots of games have their interesting points. I was mostly interested in what stuck out about Alternity in particular as a contrast to these other fairly well-known Sci-Fi systems (that I've played basically).

I think Traveler did mostly have as a strength a wealth of systems for generating content, and a rather consistently realized milieu.

d6 Space is a little more wonky in that (SW aside) I don't think it has a really strong 'world', but there's a lot of material you can use to do different things. OTOH the system really is mostly strong in terms of a fairly steep power curve. The d6 system is VERY non-linear. Once you start adding a few dice to certain stats and get a few key advantages you can be stupidly hard to kill.

aramis erak

Legend
Eh, lots of games have their interesting points. I was mostly interested in what stuck out about Alternity in particular as a contrast to these other fairly well-known Sci-Fi systems (that I've played basically).

I think Traveler did mostly have as a strength a wealth of systems for generating content, and a rather consistently realized milieu.

d6 Space is a little more wonky in that (SW aside) I don't think it has a really strong 'world', but there's a lot of material you can use to do different things. OTOH the system really is mostly strong in terms of a fairly steep power curve. The d6 system is VERY non-linear. Once you start adding a few dice to certain stats and get a few key advantages you can be stupidly hard to kill.

Mechanically, D6 Space is literally 3rd Edition SW with the trademarks filed off. The samples are clear SW knockoffs. The paranorm system is identical to the force system in method and most data points.

Traveller and Star Wars both have systems for Trade and Commerce, and that makes them fairly rare items. (Others include: Space Opera, Battletech: Dropships & Jumpships, Star Frontiers: Knight Hawks, Albedo Ship Sourcebook, Cyclopedia D&D with Gaz Supplements, FASA Star Trek: Trader Captains & Merchant Princes.) It's interesting to note that most games leave prices and econ to the GM, including some big properties: Firefly/Serenity, Most flavors of Star Trek (only FASA even went so far as to define the value of the credit), Babylon 5 (Both Mongoose & Chameleon Eclectic).

Alternity was part of the second crowd.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads