• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a modern setting RPG

tuxedoraptor

First Post
After scouring the internet, finding a few systems, feeling disapointed in them and moving on, I have come to you guys for help in finding a modern setting RPG

We have tried GUMSHOE and spycraft 2.0. Savage worlds, Gurps and FATE are off the table. The critera we are looking for:

1.No 3.5 based systems. 3.5 was a complete mess of a rules system and the moment skill points or base attack bonus are brought up, the flamethrower gets taken to the system.

2. Supernatural elements optional

3. A robust ruleset. By this I mean that it should feel like 5e in level of crunch, minus hit dice. Thats why we abandoned fate and savage worlds. My group reached the consenus FATE was a waste of their time and abandoned savage worlds after reading the most idiotic intiative system they had ever seen. Their words, not mine.

4. Combat heavy. My group enjoys talking and chatting with NPCs as much as the next group, they just enjoy murdering things more.

Arilyn

Hero
You haven't left much on the table. The initiative system in Savage Worlds can be changed. Pretty sure there's even a sidebar. Was there any other reason Savage Worlds is being rejected? Cause it seems like a good fit for your group. What about WOIN? Unknown Armies? Hero system?

Careful you don't dismiss them all, or you'll never get to playing!:(

JonM

Explorer
" 3.5 was a complete mess of a rules system"

" FATE was a waste of their time"

" abandoned savage worlds after reading the most idiotic intiative system they had ever seen"

Here's my recommendation: when you show up asking for people's help, you might want to avoid insulting the tastes of half the people you are approaching. Just a thought.

Having said this, johndesmarais made a sensible suggestion in BRP. As Arilyn said, WOIN or Hero might suit your needs (although if you don't like GURPS, you probably won't like Hero). AGE has a modern (actually, post-modern) version on the horizon, but that's a ways off. You might also like some flavor of Cortex (Leverage would probably be best, although Supernatural might do). Then, again, if your group hates Fate, they may not like Cortex, which has some similarities.

innerdude

Legend
For all the reasons to dismiss Savage Worlds as a system---and even though I'm a fan, I recognize the system isn't perfect---the initiative system would have been the LAST thing I'd have thought players would disagree on.

I've taught Savage Worlds to D&D 3.5, GURPS, and HeroQuest players, and all of them thought the initiative system for Savage Worlds was pretty cool.

Different strokes, and all that, I guess.

I say this because high action, modern setting + optional supernatural elements is pretty much Savage Worlds' absolute sweet spot. It's flat out AWESOME for this style of game.

But if Savage Worlds is really off the table----some flavor of BRP or a GURPS-ish offshoot called EABA are about the only things I can think of that come remotely close to meeting your criteria.

Last edited:

tuxedoraptor

First Post
Well, I typically will run a system by my players if the concept seems cool, they disect it and then tell me if they are okay with a session of it. As such, I will be digging through savage worlds myself. I also quoted my players on pretty much everything other than 3.5. WOIN is neat, but I am still iffy on it.

dbm

Savage!
Well, I typically will run a system by my players if the concept seems cool, they disect it and then tell me if they are okay with a session of it.

That approach works well for games that have rules and game premis entwined, like Tales from the Loop or some such, but it doesn’t really help with generic systems in my experience. And based on your request you are getting offered a lot of generic systems.

Tell us a bit more about what you envisage happening in the game and we’ll be able to give better suggestions. Generic games each approach the challenge from a slightly different perspective and with different emphasis.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
What I have planned is a quasi-government agency operating in a world where magic and monsters are real, but hidden. Arcane magic is old and unstable, but is less stressful and more reliable than psionic magic. Psionic magic is newer and more consistent in its effects, but doesn't always work and is heavily taxing on the body. The players may have access to both of these but they should be rather rare. Class wise, I would expect to see specialized roles like sniper, hacker, medic. Mechanically using something similar to 5e in how streamlined it is.

Remove ads