• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost 2-21-97

LightPhoenix

First Post
Altalazar said:
Problem with a 'mystery' driven show: when the mystery is over, it will almost never be as interesting anymore - because your imagination is always going to be more interesting than whatever the writers come up with (with very few exceptions).

I disagree.

The problem with "mystery" driven shows is that they're afraid to reveal the mysteries and lead into new ones. If the writing, and the writers, are good, then it's definitely possible to do that and still move forward. If you don't do that, the show not only becomes stale, but it also ends up going nowhere and that frustrates people.

Now, I think that Lost definitely has the writing talent to pull off resolution as well as mystery. I think that there are several factions involved in the show that are too afraid to do it though. I think a big thing preventing it is that Lost was pretty much the show to pull ABC away from the edge of the cliff, and it's still a heavy-hitter. Of course, if ratings continue to steadily decline, someone is going to have to step up and say something... and recent interviews suggest that someone may have already done this.

There's one other comment I want to make, though it's somewhat unrelated. If you have a show that ran for a hundred episodes, and only ten really made you go "wow", then I would hardly qualify that as a success. That's a big danger with "mystery"-driven shows; build-up doesn't generally produce "wow"s.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I just have to keep telling myself that only 50 to 60 days has passed on the island, from the time the plane crashed. All the relationships and interactions are based off that.

Asmo

First Post
el-remmen said:
It is? :confused:

Um, it was a show with "mysteries" that were often promises to be solved, but repeatedly failed on the promise and by the end it was pretty clear that Chris Carter was making it up as he went along and never had a real idea of what they were/meant.

Seems to me that the criticisms about Lost are at least similar. . .

I´m sorry, that was way over the line, and for that I apologize.

I`ve fairly recently watched X-files from season 1 - 9 with Chris Carter and the other writers commenting the show, and at the end I felt pleased how well it turned out after all.
In my opinion, all the major plotlines were solved, more or less satisfying:

- the alien conspiracy - check
- Scullys pregnancy - check
- Mulders sister - check
- Scullys son -> supersoldiers - check
etc.
I just don´t think it´s fair to compare Lost to X-files when it comes to "unsolved mysteries",
but as Altalazar puts it "I am content to let things unfold."

I`m glad to discuss X-files vs. Lost, but not in this thread.

Asmo

Last edited:

spacemonkey

Official ENworld Space Monkey
Lost 2-21-97

Is this thread from the future of is it from the past? Or maybe it is a different dating system used by 4-toed atlantean/alien hybrids from the hatches of old...

I bet the folks who run Lost never let us in on that one either ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads