• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LOST: The Final Season (Spoilers)

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
If Hurley won't be the last protector, then what the heck is the point of the island being sunken on the ocean floor?

That line about Hurley not being the last protector seems to insinuate that the island will go on forever. So there was no real point to showing the sunken island.

I think I'm liking the final episode less and less now.

John Crichton

First Post
If Hurley won't be the last protector, then what the heck is the point of the island being sunken on the ocean floor?

That line about Hurley not being the last protector seems to insinuate that the island will go on forever. So there was no real point to showing the sunken island.

I think I'm liking the final episode less and less now.
The sunken island was from the sideways flash.

Or at least that's what I always thought it was.

coyote6

Adventurer
The island being sunk was part of the sideways world. In the real world, the island apparently has important reasons for being (the quoted text said it keeps the balance between good and evil [not sure that makes sense, if there's usually no MiB on it; where's the balance? but I digress]; whether it's the light or the EM force or whatever, the island is Important To The World).

However, in the afterlife, no island was needed; whatever it's purpose was, it didn't exist in that quasi-afterlife. Thus, the island doesn't exist. Why did they show it at the bottom of the ocean? To mess with heads, mainly; but you can rationalize it as the island no longer being important to them, as they'd moved beyond its concerns. Thus, they show it as sunken, so we know it's not a factor here.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Interesting post. Sounds of Babylon5 where the finale was planned for some time (with little adjustments due to casting changes). Of course, if the church scene is only S1, then (1) Desmond was planned ahead of time or (2) they fibbed a bit.

John Crichton

First Post
Interesting post. Sounds of Babylon5 where the finale was planned for some time (with little adjustments due to casting changes). Of course, if the church scene is only S1, then (1) Desmond was planned ahead of time or (2) they fibbed a bit.
Hmm.

Lost never felt at all like B5. B5 always had my trust that just about every little thing would have consequence and would be resolved later. Lost wasn't that kinda show as I watched week to week for the characters and their plights.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Hmm.

Lost never felt at all like B5. B5 always had my trust that just about every little thing would have consequence and would be resolved later. Lost wasn't that kinda show as I watched week to week for the characters and their plights.
True, though the characters in B5 played an important role. I was mostly commenting on the fact that both had their last scene established at the beginning (and both had the arc plotted, though LOST's wasn't until midway through S3).

John Crichton

First Post
True, though the characters in B5 played an important role. I was mostly commenting on the fact that both had their last scene established at the beginning (and both had the arc plotted, though LOST's wasn't until midway through S3).
I didn't mean the downplay the characters in B5. They were just different stories. Lost was very personal and more of a character piece and B5 was a saga beyond the characters.

Anywho, to your point ... I get it now. :)

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
No, in Babylon 5 there were no real ambiguous or unexplained things happeneing. One reason is because JMS planned and wrote it all before filming began.

dravot

First Post
For all of the promises, the final episode of B5 was lame. It was 20 years later and the main characters got together for dinner.

On that basis, I could write the final episode of any series.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads