Lou's (3.5/Homebrew Gestalt) Hold Back the Flood - OOC

Dragonwriter

First Post
Sorry for the delay in responding--new computer at work. Your description of Plan class progression is correct, outline levels 1-20 in advance. You can change the gestalt side class at each new level.

No problem. And good, I was hoping I understood correctly. :)

In that case (and with PH2 being allowed), I think Plan class for me would be Dragon Shaman 1-20, nice and easy. And with Leif and Scotley both snagging some divine casting, I'd gestalt with Ranger and Human Paragon. The only PrC I might be interested in would be Horizon Walker (DMG)... but that's a might, seeing as I already play a HW in a different game.

[sblock=Progression, 1-5]
Plan Class Gestalt
1: Dragon Shaman // Ranger
2: Dragon Shaman // Human Paragon
3: Dragon Shaman // Human Paragon
4: Dragon Shaman // Ranger
5: Dragon Shaman // Human Paragon
[/sblock]

If this sounds/looks like a good start, I'll get to work on more concrete stats. :)

jackslate45

First Post
I'm actually finding it quite difficult to find a class to complement the duskblade. So far I thought of Wizard for aditonal spell castings and access to more touch spells. Or, Rogue/Fighter for added abilities or feats.

What do you guys think? I do not believe we have a rogue character yet.

Lou

Explorer
I'm actually finding it quite difficult to find a class to complement the duskblade. So far I thought of Wizard for aditonal spell castings and access to more touch spells. Or, Rogue/Fighter for added abilities or feats.

I think you have some good ideas, all of them. Main weakness of duskblade is poor REFLEX save. I think d8 HP is good. AC could be higher if arcane spellcasting is less important. There is a major NPC in this game that casts arcane spells in plate mail (with the chance of spell failure)....

Shayuri

First Post
A beguiler can do 'rogue' things. They have access to rogue skills, and the Trapfinding class ability.

Still trying to decide what to pair with it...a Beguiler/Warlock with fey overtones could be a hoot though.

Scotley

Hero

Interesting quandary, the Duskblade is already a hybrid of melee and magic. Where to go with the other side of the gestalt? We could certainly use a Rogue and having sneak attack and evasion would really boost the character's effectiveness. What's his weapon of choice? Four fighter levels to focus and specialize would give you +1 to hit and +2 damage with primary weapon and a couple of extra feats as well.

Maybe a Martial? That would add to the party buffing abilities of the Dragon Shaman. Bard might work for the same reason and it would get you much better skills.

What about more of the same? Would a hexblade/Duskblade hybrid be useful? The curse ability, more spells, not sure it would add much else. Of course the hit points are better. You'd have to have Str. Int and cha though. Maybe the second class should be something where you can focus on Str. or Int. Not sure where to go other than fighter type or wizard. Does any class other than wizard key off int?

Shayuri

First Post
You could go Swashbuckler/Duellist for the other track. That gives some swank bonuses, as well as an Int-bonus-to-AC feature later on.

Ironically, it would limit your armor-wearing much more than Duskblade would.

jackslate45

First Post
Interesting quandary, the Duskblade is already a hybrid of melee and magic. Where to go with the other side of the gestalt? We could certainly use a Rogue and having sneak attack and evasion would really boost the character's effectiveness. What's his weapon of choice? Four fighter levels to focus and specialize would give you +1 to hit and +2 damage with primary weapon and a couple of extra feats as well.

Maybe a Martial? That would add to the party buffing abilities of the Dragon Shaman. Bard might work for the same reason and it would get you much better skills.

What about more of the same? Would a hexblade/Duskblade hybrid be useful? The curse ability, more spells, not sure it would add much else. Of course the hit points are better. You'd have to have Str. Int and cha though. Maybe the second class should be something where you can focus on Str. or Int. Not sure where to go other than fighter type or wizard. Does any class other than wizard key off int?

You could go Swashbuckler/Duellist for the other track. That gives some swank bonuses, as well as an Int-bonus-to-AC feature later on.

Ironically, it would limit your armor-wearing much more than Duskblade would.

As my knowledge of 3.5 is limited by what I can find online, can you give me the book names? I can find them faster that way.

Weapon wise, if we do dex based, probally rapier. If more casting, Greatsword or Spiked Chain

Last edited:

Remove ads