• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
As interrogation is not Heinrich's schtick, he will keep Blind harry safe by putting them both in a corner and use his own body to shield their guide from prying eyes. He will then keep an eye out for any trouble outside of the alley.

"Harry, Vhat you think. Ist cheese for brains reliable to tell truth und disappear für goot?"

Systole

First Post
"To take you out for the killer ... ?" Cheesewright asks, obviously a bit confused. "No, we don't know who the killer is, guv. We heard there was investigators, so we were just trying to ki-- to run you off so that you couldn't figure out who was doing it. Then the killer would keep on killing the Crew and the Syndicate until there wasn't any of them left. Then we could take over after he was all done. It would've been only fair. I mean, the Blades have been here for years and years, since before the Syndicate and the Crew were two separate outfits, even. And we've never had a chance to be nothin', on account of them always oppressin' us, Cato and King and the Don and Sugar Sweet and everybody."

At Eanos' next question, he shakes his head then gets a bit woozy. After taking a moment to recover, he says, "There weren't no other freelancers in on this. This was going to be the way we proved we were the best gang around, for when the Syndicate and the Crew were gone."

Harry replies to Heinrich's question. "After pulling a stunt like this -- attacking people under the protection of the Crew and the Syndicate -- well, I don't think Mr. Cheesewright will have much of a future in Gandling if he chooses to stay. I'd venture to say that even he can understand it'd be best for him to start running as soon as possible and then to keep running, sir." The look of almost-pity on his face clearly adds: Not that'd I'd give much for his chances either way.

BH_150.jpg
Cheese_150.jpg

. . . . Blind Harry . . . . . . Cheesewright . . . .

[sblock=Eanos]Cheesewright is telling the truth, except for the part about only 'running you off.'

And yes, the plan is completely stupid. There was a reason these guys were third-string losers.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

"Vhat, mein goot herr, does he mean by 'before the Syndicate and the Crew were two separate outfits' ? They vas in, *ahem* 'business', together? Daht might shed some light to who is behind attacks, ja?"

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien glanced at Heinrich and nodded.

She was not concerned about what Cheesewright did after answering questions. She was not even inclined to mention the affair to their employers at all unless they asked about it. Gangling politics was a den of evil and it would likely remain so.

She asked, “Yeah, Harry. Since the Blades are finished, who else stands to gain by filling the hole left by the Syndicate or the Crew if they both get rooted out?”

“There isn’t by chance some good citizens that could be funding this vigilante, is there?”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +18 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 64 Current: 64
CMB: +9 CMD: 28(21ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +6
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos sighs, standing.

"Not much guile to him, other than the lousy try to make this out to be just scare tactics and not murder," Eanos says, his glare returning to the cowering, concussed highwayman on the last word.

"Anyone have any other questions for him, ask 'em now," the inquisitor says as he turns his attention back to Cheesewight. "Not sure I'm doing you any favors, but not inclined to skewer the helpless, either. The others here say they're done asking, you go. Suggest you run far and fast, though, 'cause we all know Sweet don't tire easy when she's ready to play, yes?"

[sblock=ooc]As above. Eanos will make sure no one else has any questions for cheesy beard, then let him go, since it's clear what their bosses would do with the man, and Eanos wouldn't want to be a part of that.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF)
HP:61 Current: 55
Senses: Perception 17 (22 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 20/24
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6
Reflex: +8
Will: +9
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions: Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed), Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception (does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim) , -4 save vs odor based effects)

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim

Arrows: 31/31
Blunt Arrows: 19/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 23/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 2/3 Remaining
Determination: 2/3 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 5/6 remaining
Bane: 6/8 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 8/8 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 65'/80' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (2/5 remaining)(DC 14): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (3/4 remaining)(DC 15): Bloodhound, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (2/2 remaining)(DC 16): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
"It used to be that there was La Famiglia, and Don Faizal ran everything, and King and Cato were his capos. Then Cato killed the Don and tried to take over, like five or six years ago I think ... can't remember exactly. The only thing was, King was too tough for Cato and he got away and took half the gang with him, so there was a ... a civil war kind of thing for a while. But even when they was fighting each other hard-like, they was still oppressin' us. We couldn't get nowhere. It weren't fair," Cheesewright says. "Weren't fair at all," he repeats.

Harry shrugs. "That's sort of true, I suppose. Except that some people say it was King who killed the Don, not Cato. Not that I'm expressing an opinion one way or the other," he adds hurriedly. "I'm simply repeating what I might have heard once or twice."

The old man considers Tyrien's question. "Not really anyone here, I'd say. There's the Torta brothers, but they're ... uh ... generally not highly motivated. Same with the Riders ... the Side Sreet Gang ... no, none of them would do it. There's some older kids with the Topsiders -- the orphans, I mean -- who might get big ideas about moving up, but usually they just join one side or the other. If the Syndicate and the Crew both disappeared, there's really no one who could just step in, I think. Not in Gandling, anyway. Maybe it's someone from the outside trying a hostile takeover, ma'am?"

He scratches his head about possible vigilantes. "Before Venzan ships started using this place as a port, Gandling used to be just a tiny little fishing village, and there's still a core of fisherman here. I suppose they might have something to do with it, but it seems like a stretch. They mostly keep to themselves."

BH_150.jpg
Cheese_150.jpg

Scott DeWar

A look of intense consternation is on Heinrich's brow as he processes the information, almost like he is studying a new spell's formulae.

"It is not an immediate possible relevant point, but that information could pan out to something. You, Cheesewright, May never be able to run far enough or fast enough if Sugarsweet ever finds out. I haf no further questions." He stops speaking to the assailant abruptly as the gang of ruffians attacking a blind man is nothing less then cowardly.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien already dismissed the thug from her mind and waved him away without even a word of encouragement.

She was too preoccupied with her current thoughts on the situation and trying to determine the motivation the killer has to only target the top criminal organizations.

“Hmmm, now might not be the best time to discuss this, but we are here in a somewhat private spot for the moment and I might forget later.”

“Harry, thank you for the information you have provided so far. But I have more questions.”

“With the two gangs running things and no one else readily available to take their place here, then there must be a third player in this game with the motive. Gangling’s business relies on trade, yes? But if it is not fishing that making the money, how are the gangs making their gold?”

“What is making the town business decent enough that so many criminals can survive leaching off of it?”

“I understand Vensan ships are reprovisioning here, but that is hardly a booming business to sell them food and water unless they have high tariffs and fees. But those cannot be too high, otherwise the ship captains would skip stopping in Gangling altogether.”

“Are there warehouses to store the trade goods until the caravans are taking them elsewhere overland?”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +18 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 64 Current: 64
CMB: +9 CMD: 28(21ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +6
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
"It's not the tarriffs, ma'am. Everything in Gandling is designed to extract money from the ships and the crew without them noticing. The prices for restocking goods and water are high, but the captains can depend on the supplies being here when they need them, so they pay. The sailors on shore leave have their choice of drink, gambling, and ... uh ... ladies of negotiable virtue. And the ships and the crews are guaranteed safe when they're here, which makes it even easier for them to spend money. When the killer got those two sailors as collateral damage, that was pretty upsetting to everyone involved." Harry clears his throat. "And while the Syndicate and the Crew don't steal off the boats, exactly ... well, if someone knows the contents of a particular shipment, and then makes it back to Venza a day or two before the goods arrive ... there's certain ways to turn that in profit, if you know the deals to make.

"And more than that, there's just a LOT of profit to make from the Jirago trade, ma'am. There's a veritable river of gold flowing from west to east. It's easy for the Crew and the Syndicate to dip a bucket in."

Off to the side, Cheesewright gets to his feet and begins to sidle off into the shadows.

BH_150.jpg
Cheese_150.jpg

GM: While the Syndicate and the Crew are at each other's throats, none of that violence gets passed on to the sailors or the ships -- no one wants to kill the golden goose, as it were. They're both very carefully extracting the maximum amount of money from the visitors with the minimum amount of fuss, Las Vegas-style. And they're supplementing that with some insider trading.

Edit for TLDR:
1. High restocking fees.
2. Sailor money.
3. Insider trading.

Last edited:

Remove ads