• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] No Loitering

Anastrace

First Post
Erin Vaneese

175px-Erin_vaneese_cropped.png

Watching Wilmorn burst through the trees, Erin thinks to herself, Well, there goes the subtle approach. She follows suit through the brush and into the open, and begins a chant and quick flick of her right hand as a bolt of frost shoots toward the lead goblin.

(goblin) "Flee cowards! Flee while you still can!"

[sblock=Actions]
New Map
Move Action, Draw Blade and move into the open.
Standard Action, Cast Ray of Frost, Touch Attack
Ray of Frost: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9

(Didn't bother with damage, as that's probably a miss)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Erin Vaneese Mini Stats]

Erin Vaneese
AC:16 (11 flat-footed, 15 touch)
HP: 8/8
CMB: +1 CMD: 15

Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1
Perception: -1 Sense Motive: -1
Initiative: +4

Concentration: +5
Level 0 Spells Prepared: Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
Level 1 Spells Prepared: 1/1 Mirror Strike

Class Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Planes) +8, Linguistics +9, Profession (Cook) +3, Spellcraft +8, Stealth +11

Current Weapon in Hand: Wakazashi, +3, 1d6-1, 18-20, S or P
Current Conditions in Effect: Str -4
Temporary items in possession:
Items not currently in possession:
Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 11
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Morningstar
Conditions: Poisoned, reduced strength (-3),
Medium Encumbrance (+3 dex max, -3 ACP, 20' move)
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7

Notes for this trip:
Chain shirt (equipped; removed studded leather)
Spider meat x4
[/sblock]

As he manages free of the clearing, he sees the tiefling move ahead to confront the goblin. Wilmorn quickly moves across the path to support her, while staying clear of Siddhartha's line of fire. All the while, the ranger can be heard muttering to himself, "Whew, ok. Get out of people's way, and try to do something useful this time..."

[sblock=OOC]

Double move finished.

map

[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 9/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: +5 CMD: 19
Fort: +1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Armed: C. Longbow SR2 +5 d8+2
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4
Arrows: 98/100
Common Modifiers: Deadly Aim -1/+2, Point-Blank +1/+1[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC] This is a new round right? Would it be possible to number the rounds as to avoid any confusion.

Would the readied attack against the far right goblin count as last round? If so I want my action this turn to shoot the charging baddie. Would I get new rolls too, since I elected to not shoot at the far right goblin last turn? I don't mind if the old roll is the one that has to count, but I'll include the new rolls in case they are warranted.

Kind of confused if this is a new round or not. When I initally moved onto the map the big guy was in the middle, but now he is charging. So if this is a new round, would I get to take a new action? If so, cool. If not, just use my attack roll against the charging guy I suppose.[/sblock]

[sblock=New actions if warranted]Standard action: Deadly Aim Point-Blank at big guy.
Free action: load arrow
Move action: 6 squares southeast[/sblock]

[sblock=New rolls if warranted]Attack roll deadly aim point blank against big baddie +5 d8+4: 1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17
damage against big baddie +5 d8+4: 1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5[/sblock]

Seeing the giant goblin charge forward, Siddhartha releases his arrow directly at vicious creature. After the shot, he snakes towards the east moving through the underbrush. Not all situations need violent solutions, but I guess this one does.

Map after Siddhartha

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Round 2

The larger goblin growls as Erin and Wilmorn cut off its path to its intended target. It dances out of the way of Erin's magical attack with ease, and as Siddhartha's arrow similarly finds no purchase in goblin flesh, the leader laughs at Erin's command, then spits out some invective in its native tongue. It points to her and barks an order, then shifts to the edge of the tree line, turning its attention on Wilmorn.

[sblock=goblin translation]"You lot can't seem to hit anything. What am I running from?"

(pointing)"Someone kill this stupid devil girl. I like human better."[/sblock]

The goblin harried by Scuttle stumbles back, its sword managing to nick the bird this time. In its fumbling, however, it bumps its fellow goblin, whose bowshot flies well over Erin's head.

Celebration at the vague ineffectiveness of the archer goblins falls flat, however, as the raging goblin swings its nasty horsechopper. The ragged blade catches Wilmorn in the shoulder, tearing a bloody slice down his chest. The ranger is still standing, but only barely.

UPDATED MAP

[sblock=Crunch]FrancisJohn, Everything prior to this post was ALL round 1. Things got muddy because half the party posted actions before I rolled initiative (in retrospect, I should have just gone into combat rounds with the post where Scuttle broke cover, but with surprise up in the air ... hindsight's 20/20 and all that). The party LOST initiative, but since the goblins' actions didn't negate anything, I let them just stand. I hadn't resolved Siddhartha's readied shot in round 1, though, because I couldn't figure out what he was readying against from the post. Thus my asking for clarification.

I'm using that original roll, because that was the action I was trying to resolve, and Siddhartha doesn't have a second move / attack until after the goblins' actions above. Since the battle map will change before Siddhartha can fire his second shot (most importantly, with the bigger goblin engaged in melee and thus incurring a ranged attack penalty), I figure you may want to re-roll or decide on different actions, anyway.

Goblin 2 5' steps and attacks Scuttle. Hit (failed crit confirm). 1 damage.

Goblin 1 Ranged attack vs. Erin. Miss

Mean Gobber: Move and attack Wilmorn with reach. Hits for 11 damage.

Wilmorn is now at exactly 0 HP, and is therefore Disabled. He can only take a move OR a standard action this round, not both. He cannot take full round actions (such as Withdraw). He moves at half his normal speed. A move action does not hurt him by itself (though he's still subject to AoO). A standard action / strenuous action (Acrobatics counts as strenuous) will cause him to take an additional 1 damage after it resolves, and he'll then be Unconscious and Dying.

Extra aside: Technically, until Erin's BAB is +1, she can't draw a weapon as part of movement. Since her previous mini-stat block listed her as having the Wakizashi in hand, though, I'm okay with interpreting "draw blade" as "raise blade," since the latter is just fluff. Just wanted to point it up, though, for future reference (also, to give a good example of how that mini stat block can come in handy for players as well as GMs :) ). [/sblock]

Party is up.

[sblock=General Combat notes]

Trees are still difficult terrain.

Remember to account for firing into melee if it comes to that.

Taking more than a 5' step to close on the Big Gobbo will incur AoO. He has reach / threatens an extra 5' beyond normal

Wilmorn 0/12, Disabled, Str 15/18
Erin 8/8, Str 8/12
Siddhartha 9/9
Kepli 12/12
Scuttle 5/6
Aszar 8/8
Klot'Kar 3/3
Horsie 15/15

Resources used: Stormburst 5/6 remaining
Healing Hex (Erin)

Goblin 1: 6/6 HP, AC 16
Goblin 2: 6/6 HP, AC 16
Mean Gobber: ??/?? HP, AC 16 Rage (4/6 rounds), Reach.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Aszar

View attachment 65103
The Mereman's eyes glow with a more eerie energy this time. It's bright and cyan and glowing brighter by the second until suddenly, the glow burst in sparkles. Behind, Aszar's eyes return to normal. It is anyone's guess what just happened.

[sblock=Inside the Goblin's head]
His last attack was enough to decapitate Wilmorn. But to his surprise, the ranger reattaches his head. It's flesh decays suddenly, his eyes melt in a disgusting slurp. As the goblin turns for help, his two goblin companions are in a similar state of undeath, advancing towards him in between hungry moans. Suddenly, the earth burst open, and hands prompt out, grabbing at his feet!
DC will 14 or be subject to -2 to AC, ability checks, attacks, saving throws or skill checks for 8 rounds; 1 round if he saves.
[/sblock]

MAP

Anastrace

First Post
175px-Erin_vaneese_cropped.png

Seeing Wilmorn go down from a mighty blow from the goblin, Erin becomes enraged. (Goblin) "He was my friend you bastard, I'm going to enjoy this! (Infernal) "I'm going to gut you like a pig! Heedless of the danger of the goblin's weapon, Erin moves in, her blade blazing to life with a brilliant blue aura, as she lunged in, but her blade went wide as she tried to avoid being cut in half by the goblin, but her right hand traced an arcane pattern and blazed a brilliant bolt of frost towards the goblin. "Someone get Wilmorn to safety quick, and help bring this one down!"

New Map

[sblock=Actions]
5' step in
Swift, Arcane Pool +1 Enhancement
Attack Roll (Modified for lowered strength), Modified for Spell Combat: 1D20+2 = [3]+2 = 5

Ray of Frost, Modified for Spell Combat: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22

Ray of Frost, Modified for Spell Combat, Crit Confirmation: 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10

Ray of Frost: 1D3 = [2] = 2
1D3 = [3] = 3

[/sblock]

[sblock=Erin Vaneese Mini Stats]

Erin Vaneese
AC:16 (11 flat-footed, 15 touch)
HP: 8/8
CMB: +1 CMD: 15

Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +1
Perception: -1 Sense Motive: -1
Initiative: +4

Concentration: +5
Arcane Pool: 4/5
Level 0 Spells Prepared: Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
Level 1 Spells Prepared: 1/1 Mirror Strike

Class Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +8, Knowledge (Planes) +8, Linguistics +9, Profession (Cook) +3, Spellcraft +8, Stealth +11

Current Weapon in Hand: Wakazashi, +3, 1d6-1, 18-20, S or P
Current Conditions in Effect: Str -4
Temporary items in possession:
Items not currently in possession:
Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 9/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: +5 CMD: 19
Fort: +1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Unarmed: C. Longbow SR2 +5 d8+2
Armed: Longsword +5 d8+4
Arrows: 98/100
Common Modifiers: Deadly Aim -1/+2, Point-Blank +1/+1[/sblock]

Seeing his new comrade in danger, Siddhartha instinctively drops his bow and tears his longsword from its sheath as he rushes towards the enraged goblin. He did not see the handle of Wilmorn's bardiche sticking out from his near lifeless body, causing Siddhartha to stumble as he swung at the leader of the goblins. Fool! I must focus harder. Wilmorn's clumsiness is contagious.

[sblock=Actions]Free: drop bow.
Move: step south and draw sword.
Standard: attack +5 d8+4[/sblock]

Map after Siddhartha

[sblock=Attack = 7]Attack big gobber +5: 1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7
I wait a whole day to attack, only to miss![/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Was going to take Many Shot next level, but Precise Shot is looking pretty good right about now.[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kepli Stormborn, shaman

[section]
Kepli inhales in a gasp as she sees Wilmorn take a devastating blow. Steadying herself she rushes forward and lightly touches his back.

Spirits of the sea, lend me the strength of your depths..."

As she summons aid from her spirit allies healing energy rushes through her into Wilmorn healing some of his wound. Unfortunately, distance from the sea lessens its strength and she doesn't see as great an effect that she might have hoped for.

Scuttle squawks and takes wing for the safety of the trees declaring his indignation at the wound taken to everything within hearing distance.

[/section]
NEW MAP
[sblock=OOC/Actions]Kepli:
Move: as on map
Standard: cast Cure Light Wounds on Wilmorn 1d8+1=4

Scuttle:
Full: Withdraw
[/sblock]
[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Kepli[/size] Aasimar Shaman 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: +10 (+12 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +1 CMD: 12 Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +5

In Hand: shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance
Special:
Concentration +6
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 1/1
Stormburst: 5/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Alchemist's Fire 2/2 (w/ Aszar)
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal

AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 6 Current: 5
CMB: +0 CMD: 6 Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +4

In Beak: Nothing
Conditions: None yet
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +4 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 4
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Morningstar
Conditions: Poisoned, reduced strength (-3),
Medium Encumbrance (+3 dex max, -3 ACP, 20' move)
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7

Notes for this trip:
Chain shirt (equipped; removed studded leather)
Spider meat x4
[/sblock]

Wilmorn looks down at the wound, and stares back at the goblin in disbelief. "Never confront strength with strength," Wilmorn mutters as Martin's wise words echo within his skull.

Just as Wilmorn feels his knees give out, he sees a hulking man pass through and swing wildly at the aggressor. This is immediately followed by a surge of energy within him, simultaneously soothing and invigorating. Nearly instinctively, Wilmorn manuevers and lashes out with his bardiche around Siddhartha at the offending creature.

[sblock=OOC]

Hold on! Saved by Kepli at the bell here! New action forthcoming...

Ok, Wilmorn either maneuvers into the woods (E, then SE) and strikes at the goblin, or swings where he stands, depending on whether he is still at partial action or at full action here. Result in a moment.

Bardiche attack: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

Bardiche Damage: 1D10+3 = [3]+3 = 6

Just found out the dice roller accepts multiple rolls. Going to test it out and use it for future attacks.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads