• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] No Loitering

jkason

First Post
The road curves drastically ahead of them, so none of the party hunkering down can see anything. With Wilmorn's warning, though, their now-directed attention can catch the traces of agitated voices filtering through the trees. From their current position, none of the trio left behind can glean any further information than their scouts already knew: someones further around the bend are talking. Who, what, and where are beyond their senses to determine.

Erin slides into trees and underbrush, her otherwordly flesh tones helping her melt into the lengthening shadows. Wilmorn rushes to follow her.

The trio waits, tense. They hear the voices stop a moment, then pick back up with a sharp gutteral command.

[sblock=Erin & Wilmorn]The pair move through the trees to get a view of the road beyond the bend, and it's immediately apparent the source of the voices.

Standing in the crossroads ahead are a trio of goblins. One of them holds a piece of parchment, as it and another of the goblins point and gesticulate, first to the paper, then to different directions out of the crossroads. They spit out harsh gutterals at each other. Only Erin understands their words.

The slightly larger third goblin pulls out a vial of something, waving it about as he bellows at his slightly smaller fellows, who cower obligingly. He draws his blade and starts to launch into some kind of invective when Wilmorn, trying to shift himself for a better view, manages to step in an unseen rabbit hole. He keeps his balance, but at the cost of some fairly blatant rustling of foliage and snapping of branches.

[sblock=goblin tranlation for Erin]G1: "I'm telling you, we should be going East!"

G2: "You're an idiot. You can't even read paper scribbles!"

G1: "Neither can you!"

G2: "I don't even think this is scribbles of here. We should have taken a left at Alb'k Erkee, I say."

Mean Gobber: "You're both idiots, and if you don't shut it, I'm drinking this thing and ripping your heads off to give to the new boss, if we ever find him, now... what was that?"[/sblock]

The bigger goblin stops his tirade, pointing his blade in the direction of the two scouts, who freeze, holding their breath. The smaller goblins turn, as well, growling under their breaths and drawing their blades. It seems the jig is up.

Until, that is, Scuttle crashes through the branches near the road, flying into sight of the goblins. They seem to relax, until the bigger one points his blade at the seagull and grunts something out. The smaller gobbers sheathe their swords and draw their bows, taking a bead on Scuttle.

[sblock=Erin Translation]G1: "Just a bird"

Mean Gobber: "That thing's all meat, you idiots! Get me my dinner!"[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Kepli] From Scuttle, Kepli at first feels the curiosity and interest that she associates with the bird considering meal options. There comes suddenly, however, a more panicked response. Danger / predator / flee.[/sblock]

[sblock=crunchy bits]Despite Wilmorn's bad roll, the regular goblins rolled worse even than he did. Unfortunately, the guy with the attitude beat him.

But then GlassEye gave me the most awesomesauce "It's just a cat" narrative setup ever, and how could I resist that? Wilmorn effectively gets a second chance (make a second Stealth roll, using Scuttle as your distraction), but the goblins are also ready to attack Scuttle.

I'm not going to put you guys in official combat rounds just yet. The goblins effectively burned their action putting away and drawing new weapons, but Scuttle has a full round of actions with which to evade them, so whether this turns into combat from here is still up in the air.

The three others are off the top of the map. Assume that, between the bend in the road and difficult terrain, either direction you took to get onto the map takes you one regular move action to get there (appearing either at the top of the road, or in the forest just above Erin & Wilmorn).

If you're trying to stealth, it'll take longer, since you halve your movement. So, two move actions, and you'll need to give me a stealth roll.[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 9/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: +5 CMD: 19
Fort: +1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Armed: C. Longbow SR2 +5 d8+2
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4
Arrows: 99/100
Common Modifiers: Deadly Aim -1/+2, Point-Blank +1/+1[/sblock]

Siddhartha waits as a statue, string pulled back. (Readies a deadly aim shot if he sees something come into his line of sight that attacks Erin or Wil)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Aszar Kzolp, Merfolk witch

merfolk.jpg Aszar strikes his horse to move ahead of Siddhartha and Kelpi "Hold position here, and call back the horse after I dismount." he said to the shaman as he walked past her.. The warrior was clearly well versed in ranged combat, and he could hold the line while he dispatched their foes. Kelpi's capabilities were still a puzzle to him, although she resorted to a sling, which seemed to indicate she also preferred ranged combat. He rides 30 ft ahead, and then dismounts, spear in hand.

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 11
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Morningstar
Conditions: Poisoned, reduced strength (-3),
Medium Encumbrance (+3 dex max, -3 ACP, 20' move)
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7

Notes for this trip:
Chain shirt (equipped; removed studded leather)
Spider meat x4
[/sblock]

Wilmorn overcompensates for his first stumble, and finds a fresh batch of foliage with which to reveal his presence. "Forget this!" Wilmorn grunts in frustration as he speeds up and attempts to make it out into the clearing.

[sblock=OOC]Isn't it obvious Wilmorn is a ranger? :(

Stealth second chance: 1D20+3 = [4]+3 = 7

Wilmorn's making a move![/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kepli Stormborn, shaman

[section]
Kepli isn't sure exactly how Aszar expects her to call the horse back to her. Being city born and raised she has little experience with horses but she thinks she could probably figure something out. Instead of waiting, though, she moves ahead with the merfolk; if necessary she'll take the reins and loop them over a nearby branch.

Scuttle flaps, hovering agitatedly as he tries to bend his brain around what he should do next. Impulses beat at Kepli's mind: 'Flee!' 'Food!' 'Protect!' The instinct to scrap it up is pretty strong in the seagull and he dives at the nearest goblin, pecking at its eyes and flapping his wings in its face.

Kepli, seeing Scuttle make an insane dive at a goblin, gasps and grabs for her spear.

[/section]
NEW MAP
[sblock=OOC/Actions]Scuttle provokes an AoO as he enters the goblin's square.
Attack: 1d20+4=7, 1d3-4=-3 MISS

Kepli: Move: onto map
Standard: draw shortspear
[/sblock]
[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Kepli[/size] Aasimar Shaman 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: +10 (+12 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +1 CMD: 12 Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +5

In Hand: shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Sleep
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance
Special:
Concentration +6
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 1/1
Stormburst: 5/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Alchemist's Fire 2/2 (w/ Aszar)
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal

AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 6 Current: 6
CMB: +0 CMD: 6 Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +4

In Beak: Nothing
Conditions: None yet
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +4 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

Last edited:

FrancisJohn

Explorer
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 9/9
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: +5 CMD: 19
Fort: +1 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Initiative: +6
Armed: C. Longbow SR2 +5 d8+2
Unarmed: Longsword +5 d8+4
Arrows: 99/100
Common Modifiers: Deadly Aim -1/+2, Point-Blank +1/+1[/sblock]

Not wanting to fall behind, Siddhartha stalks forward with the others. Damn bird. Calling out to the goblins, "State your business! We don't want trouble unless you do."

[sblock=Actions]Move action: onto map
Standard action: ready a deadly aim shot against the eastern most goblin, as to not interfere with the bird.[/sblock]

[sblock=Possible rolls, not definite]Deadly aim right goblin: 1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11
Damage: 1D8+4 = [6]+4 = 10
[/sblock]

New Map

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
surprise-ishScuttle dives at one of the goblins, who instantly regrets having taken up his bow with the squawking attacks in his face.

Aszar finds the change in the voices enough motivation, and spurs his horse forward. The sound of the hoofbeats bring the goblins to attention, so that it no longer matters when Wilmorn's steps manage to continue rustle leaves.

The goblin with a face full of feathers drops his bow, drawing his short sword and attacking the bird, though he's too flustered to connect.

The matching goblin hunkers down, bow at the ready, so that when the horse belonging to the hoofbeats rounds the corner, the goblin lets fly. Unfortunately, his aim is about as good as his fellows'

The beefier Goblin frowns, quaffing the vial he'd been waving about. His eyes turn bloodshot, muscles distending, veins growing prominant. He takes one look at the horse and charges forward, his nasty goblin halberd held high as he growls out a battle cry.

[sblock=Erin]Actually, he's yelling "Fish and horse for dinner!"[/sblock]

CURRENT MAP

[sblock=Crunch]Aszar acted before hearing anything from anyone who could see anything, so I decided galluping horse hooves killed surprise.

The goblins won initiative, but since I officially gave Scuttle a round's actions after the bow drawing, I let him act in a "suprise-ish" temporal bubble. Since the gobbo had a bow in hand, he didn't threaten, so no AoO.

Goblin 2 drops bow (free), draws blade (move), attacks Scuttle, misses.

Goblin 1 readies an attack against those horse hooves, firing at Aszar when he sees him, but misses.

Mean Gobber drinks his potion (move action), and moves forward with his nasty looking horse chopper (move action).

I need to know where Wilmorn moved to.

I need to know what Siddhartha's readied bowshot is readied against. Or, since it's your initiative now, anyway, he can just take the shot, since this is the earliest he could fire.

Kepli and Aszar have used their actions getting where they are, so I just need to resolve everyone else's.[/sblock]

[sblock=General Combat notes]

Trees are still difficult terrain.

Remember to account for firing into melee if it comes to that.

Closing on the Big Gobbo will incur AoO.

Wilmorn 11/12, Str 15/18
Erin 8/8, Str 8/12
Siddhartha 9/9
Kepli 12/12
Scuttle 6/6
Aszar 8/8
Klot'Kar 3/3
Horsie 15/15

Resources used: Stormburst 5/6 remaining
Healing Hex (Erin)

Goblin 1: 6/6 HP, AC 16
Goblin 2: 6/6 HP, AC 16
Mean Gobber: ??/?? HP, AC 16 Rage (6/6 rounds), Reach.[/sblock]

grtrtle

First Post
Wilmorn, human male

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 11
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Morningstar
Conditions: Poisoned, reduced strength (-3),
Medium Encumbrance (+3 dex max, -3 ACP, 20' move)
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7

Notes for this trip:
Chain shirt (equipped; removed studded leather)
Spider meat x4
[/sblock]

Wilmorn pulls free of the snatching branches, and works his way to the path to confront the goblins. He readies his bardiche as he mutters to himself. "This is so not how I thought things would go."

[sblock=OOC]

20' so far, with SA to go, with bardiche drawn.

map

[/sblock]

[sblock=Question for the GM]Wilmorn was working straight eastward. Where is that Mean Gobber charging off to? Wilmorn may move differently if he already charged past Wilmorn.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
[sblock=Answer from the GM]
Wilmorn was working straight eastward. Where is that Mean Gobber charging off to? Wilmorn may move differently if he already charged past Wilmorn.

Looks like you were working with an older version of the map. Try this link, which has the goblin move and the Wilmorn move.

CLICK ME[/sblock]

Remove ads