[LPF] Toad in the Hole

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Having silpped below the surface of the water, via stepping on a slimy spot, Marcus re-emerges and, a little chagrined at losing his footing, applies himself to the stone. When Maui adds his own strength, the stone moves fairly easily into its spot. Relieved, Marcus steps back a moment to take stock of his now slightly moist person. He is a bit taken with this, not noticing until the toad starts splashing about that something weird is going on. He watches the amphibian with interest as it starts to paw at the dirt. He quirks an eyebrow as Fae'shiel moves to help. With a shrug, Marcus moves over to where the pair are digging.

Need another pair of hands?

With that offer, Marcus sets about helping in whatever way he can.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Fae'shiel graciously accepts Marcus' offer of assistance. Though she is not sure how much help can be gained by adding too many more hands to the effort.

jbear

First Post
Maui watches the toad with a great smile on his face. "We have found your home Toad King!"

Satisfied that the job is all but done Maui begins taking the crates upstairs and outside via the front door. He is careful to search for the traps he suspects the Trap Devil has laid about the place before crossing the entrance.

Systole

First Post
Fae'shiel digs in the mud with her bare hands, suspecting that there was some fey prophecy at work. As she digs, the suspicion grows to an absolute certainty without her realizing it. Before long, the elf maiden is tunneling wildly into the mud, throwing gobbets of filth everywhere, her fingernails broken and her hands chafed and bleeding. Worried, several of the party members begin discussing about how to restrain her before she does real damage to herself, but Fae'shiel suddely shouts in triumph and draws an object from the murk. For a moment, it seems to be a battleaxe, but the mud shifts, revealing a scimitar with an unearthly black blade.

[sblock=Maui]The scimitar that Fae'shiel found is beautifully worked, but there's bad juju coming off it in waves. Maui wants no part of it.[/sblock][sblock=Fae'shiel]As Fae'shiel wraps her hands around the weapon's hilt, an ancient, inhuman voice echoes through her consciousness, all but overwhelming her.
I AWAKE FROM MY LONG SLUMBER, DRAWN FROM A BED OF EARTH AND WATER BY THE HAND OF A DAUGHTER OF THE AIR. MANY TIMES THE WHEEL HAS TURNED AND TURNED AGAIN WHILE I SLEPT, AND ONCE MORE I AM CALLED TO BATTLE, FOR THE DEVOURING FLAME RISES TO CONSUME THE KINGDOMS OF THIS PLACE AND THIS TIME.
The voice recedes. Fae'shiel is unsure whether it is weak from its sleep, or whether it simply had no more to say. She looks down and finally realizes that she is covered in mud and her hands are scraped raw.[/sblock]
A few minutes of slightly less frenzied excavation uncover the ancient bones of a dwarf and an elf, locked in combat. The scimitar seemed to have belonged to the dwarf, and the bony fingers of his other hand clutch a pearl. The elf is clad in a hide shirt inscribed with runes. By all rights, it should have rotted away, as everything else has, but it seems there is some magic keeping the shirt in good condition.

From up above, you hear a high tittering laugh, and Beyal looks down at the party from a perch on the ruined wall of the keep. "And so the lesser king falls and dies, and the greater king takes his place, as is the natural order. And the new king is a wise king, for he rewards his subjects for their service to him, giving freely of the riches of his kingdom." She claps her hands happily. "Such an excellent story! One which I shall keep close to me and treasure forever. Fare thee well, champions." She drops over the far side of the wall and disappears from view.

Mortar looks dubiously at the blade that Fae'shiel carries, having extricated himself from the trap some few minutes before. "You know, lass, it occurs to me that as much as Beyal was a bargaining sort, she never charged you anything for that piece of information about getting your hands dirty," he says. "Which makes me sort of suspect she didn't do you any favors by telling you. I'd be right careful of whatever that is."

The party can lash together branches with some spare rope salvaged from the traps in the guard room, in order to more easily carry the chests of trade goods back to the road. It's a muddy business getting everything together, but as the party leaves the ruined tower behind, a warm, refreshing rain begins to fall, and the the first members of a veritable feast of flies spiral down into the basement, drawn to the to the corpses of the boggard and the great toad. Walking through the empty pugwampi village, the party can hear the contented croaking of the tiny toad king in his new home.

toadstool-toad_673424n.jpg

GM: We're about ready to wrap. The pearl is a Pearl of Power, and the armor is a +1 hide shirt. The scimitar is the black blade for Fae'shiel magus class feature.

You can all get to levelling if you'd like. I'll have final totals for you soon.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
"Don't worry Sir Mortar. I think I know what this is. And it is something I have been looking for for a rather long time." Fae'shiel explains to the dwarf.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Marcus gets to his feet and backs away as Fae'shiel begins slinging slop and goo everywhere. Despite backing away, more than a couple of globs splop against the Ranger. Marcus's brows furrow as Fae'shiel picks up the blade. He kneels down and checks the two bodies, noting the oddity of the Elf's armor having survived. He also takes a careful moment to look over the Dwarf, in particular the Dwarf's arms.

Coincidence, or was that ancient Dwarven bracelet more of a hint we missed?

His curiosity likely to never be sated over that, he turns his attention to the Elf. He looks to Fae'shiel, as if looking to see if she has any objections to the body being disturbed before removing the dirty, goo covered shirt and folding it as neatly as he might be able for transport.

Wonder if we can find a Bard or a story teller back in Venza who can tell us about this tower and why these two were fighting...

DalkonCledwin

First Post
"Or perhaps..." Fae'shiel says looking down at the Sword and says to it "Would you mind terribly telling me why these two individuals were fighting each other?" asking the question of the sword as if it were a sentient person.

OOC: For reference the sword can talk, as well as use Telepathy. It just depends on the situation as to which it prefers to use.

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
[sblock=Fae'shiel]The sword seems largely indifferent to the magus' question, but eventually deigns to answer telepathically.
THE HAND THAT WIELDED ME WAS BOUND TO THET. THE OTHER WAS A MERCENARY ASSASSIN IN THE SERVICE OF YS.
Fae'shiel has no idea who or what Thet was, but Ys is a mythical island-kingdom that is said to have dabbled in dark magics. According to legend, it the gods punished its wickedness by sinking the nation into the sea.[/sblock]

Remove ads