Lulu thread at RPGNet . . .

JVisgaitis

Explorer
philreed said:
I don't think this can be stressed enough.

What about full color? Are their prices anywhere reasonable yet? I talked to someone at the Philadelphia Comic Con last year (and I think the representative was from Lulu). I showed him a copy of Denizens of Avadnu and they said they would be able to do that in the future for around $30. They ever get that off the ground?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
My father in law has published color hardcover books via Lulu. In his case, they were scrapbooks of vacations with his friends, but it was as well put-together as a children's book in a library. I was really impressed with the high quality.

And yes, ToH1 wouldn't make sense unless it was 3.5, at least as an option, since the work is already done.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
JVisgaitis said:
What about full color? Are their prices anywhere reasonable yet? I talked to someone at the Philadelphia Comic Con last year (and I think the representative was from Lulu). I showed him a copy of Denizens of Avadnu and they said they would be able to do that in the future for around $30. They ever get that off the ground?

They can do hardcover and full colour. Obviously, it costs quite a bit more than black-and-white interiors. I don't know how many pages DoA has, but if you give me a page count (I'm assuming you're talking full colour? hard or softback?) I'll gladly run it through their price calculator and work out how much the production cost of each copy would be.

[Edit - looked it up. Quite expensive. Hardcover and full colour, 224 pages, comes to $50.60 per unit production cost, plus whatever the publisher adds on top as his profit. RPGShop sells that product for $39.95; so it's $15 more.]

Last edited:

heirodule

First Post
philreed said:
I posted this photo (showing a book printed by Lulu) at RPGNet. I figured someone here might like a look at it.

The most important thing to know is that perfect-bound books printed by Lulu are almost identical to the books you buy in a store. The print quality is excellent and so far I've been very happy with the binding. (My oldest Lulu book is over two years old and still holding together without and signs of damage.)

lulusample.jpg

You have two boxed sets of Everway?

*snicker*

(I like it, actually...)

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Morrus said:
I don't know how many pages DoA has, but if you give me a page count (I'm assuming you're talking full colour? hard or softback?) I'll gladly run it through their price calculator and work out how much the production cost of each copy would be.

Thanks Morrus. 224 page full color hardcover.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Morrus said:
Quite expensive. Hardcover and full colour, 224 pages, comes to $50.60 per unit production cost, plus whatever the publisher adds on top as his profit. RPGShop sells that product for $39.95; so it's $15 more.]

Holy #$%@! I can't sell them at $20 a copy. I doubt someone would spend $60. Maybe it was another company I talked to. I'll have to check my business card pile when I get home.

Kafkonia

First Post
Glyfair said:
I have one question about Lulu. Someone pointed out it was an inexpensive place to get your PDFs printed. For example, if I buy one of the TSR PDFs I could send it to Lulu to get it printed (presumbably using the private link option). Lulu seems to only reference printing PDFs that are your own. Will they do this?

I know I can use Print(fu), but there aren't any real publishing options there (B&W PDF with binding based on the size of the item being printed).

Lulu is relatively strict about copyrights, so that might not be the place to go.

From what I can tell, CafePress.com pays a bit less attention... I can't guarantee it, though. But I've printed from both and have no complaints about either except that UPS is a terrible, terrible delivery company.

Edit: Post 1000!

Remove ads