Magical Arrows

Doom3524

First Post
Questions about magical arrows.

1) I read in the DMG that magical arrows are destroyed on impact. Lets say you put returning on an arrow, will that be destroyed as well? If so, whats the point of returning?

1a) If returning arrows do not get destroyed on impact, can you then stack other abilities on top of it to make the magical arrows not be destroyed?

2) Arrows can have spells cast on them, so if I cast Heal or Harm on an arrow, then the arrow hits its target, which will happen first, the damage from the arrow, or the healing/damage from the spell?

any help on these would be great, thanks!!!

moritheil

First Post
Doom3524 said:

1) I read in the DMG that magical arrows are destroyed on impact. Lets say you put returning on an arrow, will that be destroyed as well? If so, whats the point of returning?

1a) If returning arrows do not get destroyed on impact, can you then stack other abilities on top of it to make the magical arrows not be destroyed?

2) Arrows can have spells cast on them, so if I cast Heal or Harm on an arrow, then the arrow hits its target, which will happen first, the damage from the arrow, or the healing/damage from the spell?

1. For thrown weapons (axes, throwing knives, shurikens) which are not destroyed on impact.

2. Uh . . . I'm positive there's a misunderstanding somewhere there. I think you need to have a special feat or class feature in order to attach a spell to an arrow, and I've certainly never heard of someone casting heal on an arrow and shooting someone else with it. Someone else know of this ability?

Doom3524

First Post
I may have mis-spoken. I didnt mean to actually cast a spell on an arrow while in battle. I meant to create the arrow based on the creating magical items chart. You can create items with spells embedded in them.

RamYaz

First Post
Doom3524 said:

Returning: This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it. :cool:

Infiniti2000

First Post
1. For the returning property to function on an arrow, you would need to throw the arrow.

2. If you create a custom magical item such as putting heal on the arrow, it works however you want it to work. It's your item. I'm sure there's an arrow of curing or some such item in perhaps the Book of Exalted Deeds or the Complete Divine. Otherwise, just make it up.

Doom3524

First Post
So, I guess that means my Returning Arrows of Heal and Harm are out of the question! I could make some thrown weapons with those properties though. The Arrows would have been cheaper :)

moritheil

First Post
Doom3524 said:
So, I guess that means my Returning Arrows of Heal and Harm are out of the question! I could make some thrown weapons with those properties though. The Arrows would have been cheaper :)

Knowing the designers, that's probably deliberate.

Isn't it a bit odd to have a Heal effect tied to a weapon, though? I mean, aside from when you need to eradicate undead . . .

Doom3524

First Post
Yes, it is definitley odd :) But, when you dont have a cleric in the party, and no way to heal other than potions, you come up with interesting ideas. I figured, I was a deepwood sniper of a high level, so I could hit about anything, any time. Why not get an arrow and waste the round's shot to heal a front line fighter almost completely when they are down to 15 hp from over 100? Then there was the added benefit of hitting the undead enemies for major damage.

PrinceZane

First Post
Doom3524 said:
Yes, it is definitley odd :) But, when you dont have a cleric in the party, and no way to heal other than potions, you come up with interesting ideas. I figured, I was a deepwood sniper of a high level, so I could hit about anything, any time. Why not get an arrow and waste the round's shot to heal a front line fighter almost completely when they are down to 15 hp from over 100? Then there was the added benefit of hitting the undead enemies for major damage.

Lets just hope you don't crit and kill him before you get the heal ;)

Remove ads