• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magical Arrows

IcyCool

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
1. For the returning property to function on an arrow, you would need to throw the arrow.

And even then, the ammunition is destroyed if you hit your target. So if you are thinking about having throwing weapons enchanted, be sure to avoid shuriken, as they are treated as ammunition. Also, a returning weapon that casts heal on your ally will be horrendously expensive (even if the DM allows it), unless it is a one-shot item, and even then, it'll be pricey.

Infiniti2000 said:
2. If you create a custom magical item such as putting heal on the arrow, it works however you want it to work. It's your item. I'm sure there's an arrow of curing or some such item in perhaps the Book of Exalted Deeds or the Complete Divine. Otherwise, just make it up.

The arrow of cure light wounds is in Sword and Fist, I think. And unless the item description states that the arrow doesn't deal damage, it will hurt whoever you shoot before the magic goes off. So make sure you don't kill your target and render the healing pointless.

Doom3524

First Post
Haha, yeah, critting first would be real bad LOL.

Cost......

Single use, use-activated = Spell level × caster level × 50 gp

plus

Armor, shield, or weapon = Add cost of masterwork item

equals.....

Spell Level (6) x caster level (11) x 50 gp = 3300 gp plus masterwork cost of 300gp equals 1 quiver of harm arrows at 3600 gold pieces. If you want only one divide by 20 for 180 for 1 arrow.

Not too bad for that kind of damage.

Doom3524

First Post
Whenever you calculate price for magical arrows, it works on an entire quiver, not 1 arrow. The price is based on the 20 arrows in a quiver.

Anyways, who would spend that much on 1 arrow, no matter what it does???

Doom3524

First Post
The arrows I was going for (but now know I cannot do)......

Use-activated or continuous = Spell level (6) × caster level (11) × 2,000 gp plus returning (+1 modifier for 2000 gp) plus 300 for masterwork = 134,300 gp for a quiver or 6715 for 1. Now thats an amazing weapon.

Corlon

First Post
I think you've ogt it a bit off.

When you attach a magical property to an arrow, ie an enhancement bonus (+1, +2, flaming, shocking burst, bane, blah blah blah) you buy it in a quiver of 50.

when you make a magic item, you make ONE item.

dcollins

Explorer
Doom3524 said:
I may have mis-spoken. I didnt mean to actually cast a spell on an arrow while in battle. I meant to create the arrow based on the creating magical items chart. You can create items with spells embedded in them.

Allowing "new item" invention is actually a Variant in the DMG. Items which are not listed in the core rulebooks count effectively as House Rules. Therefore your question #2 requires permission from the DM, and also his or her specific creation of a rule to handle the what-happens-first issue.

http://superdan.net.home.comcast.net/dndfaq3.html

ARandomGod

First Post
Corlon said:
I think you've ogt it a bit off.

When you attach a magical property to an arrow, ie an enhancement bonus (+1, +2, flaming, shocking burst, bane, blah blah blah) you buy it in a quiver of 50.

when you make a magic item, you make ONE item.

True... but if you're making a new magic item in a batch of one, then you can also make that it's not destroyed. Easy. You're already making up the rules and pricing.

ALternitively you can make 50 and have them destroyed. Any arguements to the fact that you can only make one with those rules is easily countered by lowering the price to 1/50'th.

Of course, to be completely accurate you *should* only make one. And you shouldn't try to put any spells created that way on an arrow. Put them on the quiver, like they did with the scabbard of keen arrows. That way there's no issue of whether or not they return, the quiver cast the spell on whatever's taken out of it.

Remove ads