Magical Arrows

werk

First Post
Krelios said:
Ack. Okay, I hate magic shops, but setting that aside; how can you design an item and then buy it in a store? Are you talking about commissioning these and waiting for them to be crafted?

(also loathes magic shops) The key here is that he is using player knowledge not character knowledge. Odds are your character doesn't know about heal, creating items, anything like that. Designing a custom magic item would be pretty difficult for any character other than a character that has the ability to do so.

If your DM allows it, your party is probably a steamroller by now anyway...give him some more rope.

Doom3524

First Post
werk said:
The key here is that he is using player knowledge not character knowledge. Odds are your character doesn't know about heal, creating items, anything like that. Designing a custom magic item would be pretty difficult for any character other than a character that has the ability to do so.

If your DM allows it, your party is probably a steamroller by now anyway...give him some more rope.

So, what you are saying is that no other character knows about healing other than Divine casters?? And they don't know how items are created??? Thats insane. Lets see, "That guy just touched me and I feel soooo much better, oh well, I will keep doing what I am doing and not worry about it" I dont think so. All characters know what other characters can do, especially in their party. Like I said, we do not have a Cleric right now, but we do have a Paladin who can heal slightly. SO, whats to stop my character from asking how he healed me and made me better, then taking that CHARACTER knowledge and going into the shop I got my magic +1 Mighty Composite bow (+3 Str) made for me and asking if he can make something, or has something that can duplicate the Paladins power, just more powerful and put it in an arrow? That isnt possible????

Doom3524

First Post
Also, the party is far from a steamroller. I am not asking for arrows of kill everything, just something to heal with since the Paladin is usually in the heat of battle. Its no different than having a Cleric around. It actually takes me out of the battle for a round here or there to heal. That isnt a good thing.

werk

First Post
Doom3524 said:
So, what you are saying is that no other character knows about healing other than Divine casters?? And they don't know how items are created??? Thats insane. Lets see, "That guy just touched me and I feel soooo much better, oh well, I will keep doing what I am doing and not worry about it" I dont think so.
Big difference between healing and heal.
All characters know what other characters can do, especially in their party. Like I said, we do not have a Cleric right now, but we do have a Paladin who can heal slightly. SO, whats to stop my character from asking how he healed me and made me better, then taking that CHARACTER knowledge and going into the shop I got my magic +1 Mighty Composite bow (+3 Str) made for me and asking if he can make something, or has something that can duplicate the Paladins power, just more powerful and put it in an arrow? That isnt possible????
See how you explained the character's knowledge through roleplay? That's what you should do. Roleplay. Your character can figure a lot of this out, in game, with direct influence from your DM...which will make things easier all the way around.

jabberwocky

First Post
Doom3524 said:
... Its no different than having a Cleric around. It actually takes me out of the battle for a round here or there to heal. That isnt a good thing.

It's vastly better than having a cleric around - the cleric only has a limited # of heal spells per/day, and must deliver them by touch - if you can deliver an effectively unlimited # of heals per day, at range, mutliple times per round (because you have a 264,000 gp item), that's way better than what a cleric can do.

Last edited:

Doom3524

First Post
Werk: That is how I would have done it anyways. The characters have been together for as little while, so the knowledge is already there. It just needs to be taken up at a shop.

Jabber: I can agree that it is better than a cleric, I wont argue that, but what I am saying is I am one of the biggest attackers since I can do it and pretty much not worry about retaliation (being so far away), so taking me out of the battle to heal hurts as much as it helps. So maybe it gets a limit of times per day on the quiver. That will lower the price and make it less unbalanced.

Rackhir

Explorer
This item sounds like what you are looking for.

The Quiver of Anariel
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/lonedrowstats

Quiver of Anariel:Quivers of Anariel appear to be typical arrow containers capable of holding a score of arrows. However, the quivers automatically replenish themselves with standard or magical arrows, such that they are always full. Some quivers also create arrows made of special materials, such as adamantine, cold iron, or alchemical silver.

Once an arrow it taken from the quiver, it must be used within 1 round or it vanishes.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, minor creation; Price 28,000 gp (standard arrows), 29,000 gp (masterwork arrows), 32,000 gp (+1 arrows), 44,000 gp (+2 arrows), 64,000 gp (+3 arrows), 92,000 gp (+4 arrows), 128,000 gp (+5 arrows); Add an additional +6,000 gp for adamantine arrows, +4,005 gp for cold iron arrows, or +200 gp for alchemical silver arrows; Weight 1 lb.

Doom3524

First Post
Zandel said:
:uhoh: ........ Right ........

I like how you put those in the reverse order of how they were actually posted. I said that at first it was no different then having a cleric. Then through the discussion, I decided I was wrong and it was better than the cleric for some reasons.

Rackhir: That Quiver sounds pretty cool, I am imagining that the arrows can be +1-5 equivilent as well as just the plus arrows, right?

glass

(he, him)
jabberwocky said:
It's vastly better than having a cleric around - the cleric only has a limited # of heal spells per/day, and must deliver them by touch - if you can deliver an effectively unlimited # of heals per day, at range, mutliple times per round (because you have a 264,000 gp item), that's way better than what a cleric can do.

I dunno. Having the epic cleric who made the item around might be jolly handy.

glass.

Remove ads