Magical Arrows

IcyCool

First Post
Doom3524 said:
So, you could put it on a rod or a staff or something the like. Heck, you could buy 50 scrolls of heal for 82,500 gp if you really wanted to.

But you are asking to be able to heal 110 hp of damage with a single attack (if you are full attacking and get multiple attacks you could heal more, or still dish out your damage), from a potentially huge range. And nothing about that strikes you as unbalanced or unreasonable?

At 1d8+1 per attack, it certainly sounds more reasonable to me. At 2d8+3 per attack, it's starting to sound potent. Beyond that ... *shrugs*. It's ultimately up to you and your DM.

Was there a rules question you wanted help on? :)

dcollins

Explorer
Can anyone post the price from that arrow of curing in Defenders of the Faith? Can anyone confirm if it did/didn't get reprinted in Complete Divine?

Doom3524

First Post
IcyCool said:
But you are asking to be able to heal 110 hp of damage with a single attack (if you are full attacking and get multiple attacks you could heal more, or still dish out your damage), from a potentially huge range. And nothing about that strikes you as unbalanced or unreasonable?

At 1d8+1 per attack, it certainly sounds more reasonable to me. At 2d8+3 per attack, it's starting to sound potent. Beyond that ... *shrugs*. It's ultimately up to you and your DM.

Was there a rules question you wanted help on? :)

I figure cure moderate would be more fair. I can see if I can get that going.

The actual rules question was about if damage would happen before or after the healing. Now there are other questions about if I would deal damage at all, or if I can make it pure positive energy, and all sorts of things.

All arguing about if it should or should not exist aside, what would the best method of making a quiver of Cure Moderate be? How would it work? and how much would it cost?

IcyCool

First Post
Doom3524 said:
The actual rules question was about if damage would happen before or after the healing. Now there are other questions about if I would deal damage at all, or if I can make it pure positive energy, and all sorts of things.

All arguing about if it should or should not exist aside, what would the best method of making a quiver of Cure Moderate be? How would it work? and how much would it cost?

As to the question about damage, yes, the damage would happen first. Although if I'm not mistaken, the Arrows of Cure Light Wounds in Sword and Fist or Defenders of the Faith stated that the arrow was transformed into positive energy and didn't cause any damage. As to the second two, unless your DM tells you to price new items, the DM should do it.

Goolpsy

First Post
continuos items are always a problem... i wouldn't allow an item to be continous unless it has a normal tiem effect on it. "Every arrow your draw is affected by cure something".. thats not a cure spell.. neither is it a permency spell. If it should exist.. it would be something like a permenent Hallow spell on the Specific item, yet still it should be enhanced as it allows a greater effect... i would go as far as calling it a level 7 spell? allowing 1st level spells, 8 for 2nd and 9th for 3rd.. or something.. that way it can't get out of hand... another issue is even a wand of unlimited cure minor, is unlimited heal after each fight (does take a little time) but its a cheap item
(theoreticly). Some things jsut aren't supposed to be unlimited..

Another thing u might write into item you want to create amoung the usable 5-10 times per day thing... make is Use activated, but allow for 1 shoot a round.. its like making it a move action or something to enchant ONE arrow and you will still get to fire it in the same round... (with the effect disappearing the next round if it isn't used)

Btw, it wouldb't be unbalancing to let an acher heal a bit.. first of all.. alot of the persons Wealth is used on that item.. and is NOT used on improving anything else, 2ndly though it does allow versatility being able to change from damager to healer.. a round of healing is potentially a lost combat action... even if you heal 50 damage... the BBEG you're fighting might easily hand out 2-3 times that amount of damage in a round. 3rdly he will never get as good at healing as a cleric... **AT HEALING!** the cleric is one big bad fighting machine healing everyone cursing everything letting you live in the desert.. helping you to survive in the caves or in the sea.. There is Soooo much more to a cleric than just healing....

Doom3524

First Post
Goolpsy said:
Another thing u might write into item you want to create amoung the usable 5-10 times per day thing... make is Use activated, but allow for 1 shoot a round.. its like making it a move action or something to enchant ONE arrow and you will still get to fire it in the same round... (with the effect disappearing the next round if it isn't used)

Thats kind of what I figured. I wouldnt shoot 3 arrows in a round if I am healing. I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of need for concentration as well as a normal attack roll. You WANT to hit with that arrow more than any other shot you can make. I know you want to hit with every shot, but this one could mean life or death for a party member,

Goolpsy said:
Btw, it wouldb't be unbalancing to let an acher heal a bit.. first of all.. alot of the persons Wealth is used on that item.. and is NOT used on improving anything else, 2ndly though it does allow versatility being able to change from damager to healer.. a round of healing is potentially a lost combat action... even if you heal 50 damage... the BBEG you're fighting might easily hand out 2-3 times that amount of damage in a round. 3rdly he will never get as good at healing as a cleric... **AT HEALING!** the cleric is one big bad fighting machine healing everyone cursing everything letting you live in the desert.. helping you to survive in the caves or in the sea.. There is Soooo much more to a cleric than just healing....

Thats what I have been saying. We could be fighting something that can deal so much more damage in one hit than I can even wish to heal in one shot, so taking me out of battle is a big thing, especially as a deepwood sniper.

Treebranch

First Post
Masters of the Wild said:
Specific Weapons
The following specific weapons are usually preconstructed
with exactly the qualities described here.
Arrow of Cure Light Wounds: When this otherwise
normal +1 arrow strikes a target, it does no
damage . Instead, the target is affected as if by a cure
light wounds spell, which cures 1d8+1 points of damage.
If such an arrow strikes an undead target, the creature
is entitled to spell resistance and a Will save (DC 11)
for half damage.
An arrow of cure moderate wounds cures 2d8+3 points of
damage and has a save DC of 12. An arrow of cure serious
wounds cures 3d8+5 points of damage and has a save DC
of 13. An arrow ofcure critical wounds cures 4d8+7 points of
damage and has a save DC of 14.
Caster Level: 1st (light), 3rd (moderate), 5th (serious), 7th
(critical); Prerequisites : Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cure
lightwounds (light), cure moderate wounds (moderate), cure serious
wounds (serious), or cure critical wounds (critical);
Market Price: 107 gp (light), 607 gp (moderate), 1,507 gp (serious),
or 2,807 gp (critical); Cost to Create : 57 gp + 4 XP
(light), 307 gp + 24 XP (moderate), 757 gp + 60 XP (serious),
or 1,407 gp + 112 XP (critical).

Yes, it's from the 3.0 Masters of the Wild. Yes, I realize the item creation rules are outdated. However, this does show that it's not a totally outrageous idea, and backs up the notion that arrows made like this are made singly, not in batches of 50.

Using the above formulas, I get that a Heal arrow would cost 6607 gp, assuming an 11th level caster.

And, looking at the Quiver of Anariel, I've figured out that the cost is determined by 28000 + 4*[cost of making 50 of a given arrow] + 2*[material cost for 50 arrows as per DMG].

So, as far as I can tell, a Quiver of Anariel(Cure Light Wounds) would run you...

28000 + 4*[50 * 107] = 49,400 gp.

A little cheap IMO, but that's how the formula works out. Keep in mind I'm pricing an individual arrow based on the Masters of the Wild versions...

Now, just for kicks, here's the Quiver of Anariel(Heal):

28000 + 4*[50 * 6607] = 1,349,400 gp.

Yep! That right there is what you call an artifact. As a DM, I would be damn sure never to let the players ever ever get one. In fact, I doubt something like this could even exist without being in the ownership of a deity or something like that.

Anyways, I'm done rambling. There's an analysis for you.

shadowgriffen

First Post
The healing arrows your looking for are in the Master's of the Wild hand book
Arrow of cure light wounds 107gp
Arrow of cure moderate wounds 607gp
Arrow or cure serious wounds 1,507gp
Arrow of cure critical wounds 2,807gp
They dont deal any damage they only heal the target they hit. as for the prices these
prices are before the 3.0 and 3.5 editions of d&d ( hope this helps a bit )

dcollins

Explorer
Thanks for the citations, guys. So it looks like extrapolating from those numbers (as required by the DMG), assuming the DM allows this new item (I wouldn't), and assuming it being left out of 3.5 doesn't indicate specific rejection by current designers (I would tend to lean that way)...

It indicates curing arrows are priced at (spell level) x (caster level) x 100 gp + 7 gp for masterwork arrow. So an arrow of heal by those rules would be priced at 6 x 11 x 100 + 7 = 6,607 gp each. And precedent that it deals no damage for the hit.

ARandomGod

First Post
Doom3524 said:
ARandomGod: How would I make it pure positive energy? How much would that add on to the price? Also, I might go with Moderate instead of light, just a little better.

It wouldn't add to the price at all, assuming that was all 'flavor' text. In fact, it would marginally lower the value, in that you still need arrows, the arrows are converted, and they're unrecoverable. If you've got the money, moderate would be better, but for pure cost nothing beats cure light.

Doom3524 said:
I still like my Goggles of True Strike, they were cool, but not allowed.....

1 x 1 x 2000 = 2000gp for a piece of equipment that continually grants you a +20 to attack and no worry about concealment. Gee, I wonder why he didnt allow it!!

Of course, they mainly don't allow it because it's horribly unbalanced. A large part of the balance of that spell is that you have to cast it yourself! (Note: If you've previously played so that it could be cast on other people, sorry I brought this detail to light. You can try to ignore it if you want to...)

Then there are justifications:
You have to use a different formulae. There's already a formulae for adding a + to hit to a weapon, and that's not it! ^_^ If you use THAT formulae, and add on extra for the ability to hit concealment ... then you'd be spending enough. (too much, really.)

Remove ads