Magical Arrows

Rackhir

Explorer
Doom3524 said:
Rackhir: That Quiver sounds pretty cool, I am imagining that the arrows can be +1-5 equivilent as well as just the plus arrows, right?

Actually I'd have to say no it couldn't, at least as designed. Remember that the non-Plus enhancements have different spell requirement to create (fireball, lightning bolt, melf's acid arrow etc...). The Plus enhancement with this quiver is basically just the item casting Greater Magic Weapon on each. You would probably need to tack on additional spell effects to permit other weapon enhancements.

Doom3524

First Post
My question is this. With the knowledge of there being quivers out there that cast spells on arrows when they are drawn, could I make this.....

Quiver of Heal: X times per day (whatever I come up with for X) this quiver allows the user to draw an Arrow of heal that causes no damage, and upon a successful hit casts the spell heal (as an 11th level caster) on the attack target. If you miss on the attack you still lose that arrow for the day.

I think that sounds more balanced than what I had before, and it would be much less expensive. Instead of 132,300 gp it would be, for say 10 uses, it would be approximately 49,500 gp (I think, not sure where to find that equation).

Rackhir

Explorer
Doom3524 said:
My question is this. With the knowledge of there being quivers out there that cast spells on arrows when they are drawn, could I make this.....

Quiver of Heal: X times per day (whatever I come up with for X) this quiver allows the user to draw an Arrow of heal that causes no damage, and upon a successful hit casts the spell heal (as an 11th level caster) on the attack target. If you miss on the attack you still lose that arrow for the day.

I think that sounds more balanced than what I had before, and it would be much less expensive. Instead of 132,300 gp it would be, for say 10 uses, it would be approximately 49,500 gp (I think, not sure where to find that equation).

http://srd.plush.org/magicItemsCreation.html

This has as much information on creating magic items as you will find.

What you are talking about is something close to the spell Mass Heal a 9th lvl spell. I think you are talking about something really obscene for what the cost ought to be.
9x17x1,800 or roughly 275,000 gp. Given the range increace it probably ought to be more than that.

Doom3524

First Post
Rackhir said:
http://srd.plush.org/magicItemsCreation.html

This has as much information on creating magic items as you will find.

What you are talking about is something close to the spell Mass Heal a 9th lvl spell. I think you are talking about something really obscene for what the cost ought to be.
9x17x1,800 or roughly 275,000 gp. Given the range increace it probably ought to be more than that.

I am not looking for Mass Heal, that is too much. Just a simple Heal spell (level 6 spell. 11th level cater). Mass Heal would be gross, and way unbalanced.

Rackhir

Explorer
Doom3524 said:
I am not looking for Mass Heal, that is too much. Just a simple Heal spell (level 6 spell. 11th level cater). Mass Heal would be gross, and way unbalanced.

What I said, was that the effect you are trying to achieve IS SIMILAR TO THE EFFECT OF mass heal. So it probably ought to be priced similarly.

Doom3524

First Post
Rackhir said:
What I said, was that the effect you are trying to achieve IS SIMILAR TO THE EFFECT OF mass heal. So it probably ought to be priced similarly.

How is it similar to Mass Heal? I am only hitting one subject with a heal spell. I am not understanding what you are getting at.

Rackhir

Explorer
Doom3524 said:
How is it similar to Mass Heal? I am only hitting one subject with a heal spell. I am not understanding what you are getting at.

Heal only heals one person. You want to be able to heal multiple people (albeit at different times). Mass Heal will heal multiple people and do it at a range greater than heal. Yours will only heal one person at a time, but can do it at ranges FAR exceeding what Mass Heal (20' radius IIRC) and vastly farther than basic heal (touch) can. You are adding a substantial increase in usefulness to an already powerful spell. This should not come cheap.

werk

First Post
Doom3524 said:
Werk: That is how I would have done it anyways. The characters have been together for as little while, so the knowledge is already there. It just needs to be taken up at a shop.

Jabber: I can agree that it is better than a cleric, I wont argue that, ...

Cool, glad to hear it! (still hate the magic shops;)

I think you are substituting cleric for healing. Clerics do a lot more than healing. My recommendation would be a cleric hireling or have someone take leadership and get a cleric cohort. (or find another player) Cleric is one class that I can rarely do without in a party.

Doom3524

First Post
Rackhir said:
Heal only heals one person. You want to be able to heal multiple people (albeit at different times). Mass Heal will heal multiple people and do it at a range greater than heal. Yours will only heal one person at a time, but can do it at ranges FAR exceeding what Mass Heal (20' radius IIRC) and vastly farther than basic heal (touch) can. You are adding a substantial increase in usefulness to an already powerful spell. This should not come cheap.

I see what you are saying now. I cant say I disagree with what you are saying about the usefullness, but luckily that isnt how it works. It is still just a 6th level spell no matter what it goes on.

werk: I love magic shops, mainly because (as you can probably tell by now) I am pretty inventive with things, and I know my character cant do them himself, but he wants to. Shops are the way he can do things. Most of the time I am turned down, but sometimes my DM sees the need for something I request and he grants it. Like I said, he is pretty good with that (He turned down my goggles of true strike with unlimited useage LOL). The reason for the lack of a cleric (which definitley do more than heal, but thats a major strong point) is because the only player we had that could play one well has stopped playing due to other things, some have tried, but all have failed miserably. I could probably do it, but I like being the Archer/Fighter too much, I like to be the central part of the battle :)

Remove ads