Magical Arrows

Rackhir

Explorer
Doom3524 said:
I see what you are saying now. I cant say I disagree with what you are saying about the usefullness, but luckily that isnt how it works. It is still just a 6th level spell no matter what it goes on.

Actually this is how its supposed to work if you read all the text about creating magic items. The formulas are supposed to only be guidelines, otherwise any weapons more powerful than +1 would have a constant true strike on them for only 10k.

ARandomGod

First Post
Really what you *should* get is a cure light wounds quiver. That way you can cure at the same rate you can heal. In fact, that's an even better idea, have it so that the 'arrows' that come from the quiver are just bolts of positive energy, and they use whatever enhancement bonus is already on the bow... absorbing a +1 enhancement to add an additional +1 to the cure light wounds, being even more effective with an elemental enhancement, adding an additional +d6... etcetera.

Then if you want you can spend your full attack action attempting to shoot the party fighter, healing him for the amount you could instead be harming the monster (better in cases with DR or resistances). The value of your healing in combat being in this case actually directly proportional to the value of your harming the enemy in combat.

It will, of course, have an additional affect of making you more effective at damaging some undead. It'd be an expensive quiver, but much more reasonably priced that one that produces arrows of 'heal'.

IcyCool

First Post
Doom3524 said:
I think that sounds more balanced than what I had before, and it would be much less expensive. Instead of 132,300 gp it would be, for say 10 uses, it would be approximately 49,500 gp (I think, not sure where to find that equation).

If you go past 5 uses per day, you'll break the formula. 5+ uses per day is pretty much synonymous with unlimited use. My suggestion would be to either go with the unlimited use cure light wounds version that ARandomGod was talking about, or change your heal quiver to 3/day. Even then, I wouldn't allow it as a DM.

Your cost (for 3/day Heal) should look like this:

Use activated or continuous item formula = Spell level x Caster level x 2,000gp

6 x 11 x 2,000 = 132,000

Charges per day formula = Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)

132,000/(5/3) = 79,199.999999999

No space limitation formula = multiply entire cost by 2

79,199.999999 x 2 = 158,399.999

Round that up to 158,400.

I've been wrong with those formulas before, but that looks about right to me. I'd say that the fact that you have to hit your target balances out with the fact that you can heal a target hundreds of feet away.

For reference, the cure light wounds quiver (by the above formulas) would run:

1 x 1 x 2,000 = 2,000gp

Double for no space limitation

2,000 x 2 = 4,000gp.

That seems a bit low to me for cure light wounds at will, but considering that both of these quivers simply bestow the spell on the arrow, you are limited by the number of arrows you have (and adding more powers to the quiver would make it much more expensive).

Doom3524

First Post
ARandomGod: How would I make it pure positive energy? How much would that add on to the price? Also, I might go with Moderate instead of light, just a little better.

I still like my Goggles of True Strike, they were cool, but not allowed.....

1 x 1 x 2000 = 2000gp for a piece of equipment that continually grants you a +20 to attack and no worry about concealment. Gee, I wonder why he didnt allow it!!

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Yes, remember the MOST important rule of the new magic item creation table. The part at the end where you compare its cost to existing items and modify accordingly. It is unwritten in here, but if there are no items that are like it at all, you basically just modify the price based on how powerful it is.

Since this item goes well beyond what the designers thought anyone would try to build the table makes a horribly wrong price. Basically, IMHO, there should be no items that can cast heal at will without being an artifact.

I don't have the DMG in front of me to help me figure out what the price would be if I allowed it as a normal magic item, but someone wouldn't be able to afford it without a significant amount of level 20 gp value. Over 100k for certain.

Doom3524

First Post
You can buy a wand of Heal, with 50 charges for 49,500 gp. So, why not be able to put it on something else? I think that making restrictions too tight completely removes player ingenuity, which is very important. When I Dm I let my players come up with their own ideas on items, and I decide weather or not to allow it. If it something that isnt going to automatically kill something, or make them basically a god I will allow it and remember they have it at future times and adjust encounters accordingly.

On the other hand.....I would not allow a wand of Harm in any campaign. I know that sounds oxymoronic, but Harm is a lot more unbalanced than heal. If you are fighting something that cant heal itself, Harm can sometimes take down a CR 20 monster at a much lower level.

mvincent

Explorer
If you desire healing arrows, you could possibly use spell-storing arrows containing cure moderate wounds.

If you pad the tip (or take -4), they could do non-lethal damage, which would likely be healed by the arrow for free when it is healing regular damage.

Infiniti2000

First Post
mvincent said:
If you pad the tip (or take -4), they could do non-lethal damage, which would likely be healed by the arrow for free when it is healing regular damage.
I don't know about padding the tip, but you can't otherwise choose to do nonlethal with arrows.

Doom3524

First Post
So, you could put it on a rod or a staff or something the like. Heck, you could buy 50 scrolls of heal for 82,500 gp if you really wanted to.

Remove ads