Planescape Manual of the Planes for 5e on DMSGuild

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning. It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com I love the special thanks. This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new...

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning.

Manual of the Planes. An invaluable, definitive work on the most fascinating aspect of the World's Greatest Roleplaying Game

It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.37.13 PM.png

I love the special thanks.

This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new horizons for the latest generation of planewalkers, bashers, berks, and touts. We’d also like to thank the giants on whose shoulders we stand when writing this book: Justice Ramin Arman, Richard Baker, Wolfgang Baur, David “Zeb” Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, Jeff Grubb, David Noonan, F. Wesley Schneider, Rick Swan, and all others who helped create and cultivate Planescape and the planes.

I've just bought it and am reading it now.

Here is the table of contents.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.18.51 PM.png

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Once again dmsguild upstages WotC reminding everyone of the disgraceful state of the D&D dev team, or at least its leadership. I hope AL makes this product legal for AL, it'd be nice for Planescape to have meaning support for Planescape campaigns.

dmsguild should not be regularly producing better products for your settings then you with a tiny fraction of your resources, it's disgraceful.
The D&D team do it just to piss you off. They're trying to break you of the mindset that WotC should absolutely, positively be the tippy-top cream-of-the-crop in Dungeons & Dragons design. ;)

They don't care if other people make supposedly better products than them (for those 10-20 players who believe it to be the case). This isn't a ****-measuring contest. WotC produces that which will help get people into the hobby and enjoy their time in the hobby... and they let other people worry about trying to be the "goodest, bestest, RPG designers in the world!"

Heck... it's better that way. It gives independent designers actually something to shoot for-- making products of a quality that certain players will absolutely want and thus can find an audience. If WotC made the absolute best of everything, no one would bother with 3PP products at all.

Reynard

Legend
Some of the best 5e material is brewed by the D&D community. ;) I am tempted to set up a DMsGuild account just to get some of it.
One interesting side effect of the existence of the DMsGuild is that a lot of things that would show up as free "netbooks" are now for profit books. This is a perfect example. All other things being equal, without a DMsGuild, this book would have emerged anyway shortly after the 5E Planescape came out. If you need evidence, look no further than the often very good, high quality books for settings and proerties not allowed under DMsGuild, from Dark Sun to Star Wars 5E to Eberron for Savage Worlds.

Now, I don't begrudge the creative team here their money. I am glad they can get some return on their time investment, and the DMsGuild does allow their work to reach a lot of folks who might otherwise not see it. But that isn't the same as saying the DMsGuild doesn't have an impact on the kind of efforts people make in the community.

One interesting side effect of the existence of the DMsGuild is that a lot of things that would show up as free "netbooks" are now for profit books. This is a perfect example. All other things being equal, without a DMsGuild, this book would have emerged anyway shortly after the 5E Planescape came out. If you need evidence, look no further than the often very good, high quality books for settings and proerties not allowed under DMsGuild, from Dark Sun to Star Wars 5E to Eberron for Savage Worlds.

Now, I don't begrudge the creative team here their money. I am glad they can get some return on their time investment, and the DMsGuild does allow their work to reach a lot of folks who might otherwise not see it. But that isn't the same as saying the DMsGuild doesn't have an impact on the kind of efforts people make in the community.
I don’t think you’re correct on this. This level of collaboration and effort is not likely to be offered as a free product as much as you see it in the guild. A lot of single person efforts sure. But some of the work on the Guild goes way beyond what we would have without it, IMO

Reynard

Legend
I don’t think you’re correct on this. This level of collaboration and effort is not likely to be offered as a free product as much as you see it in the guild. A lot of single person efforts sure. But some of the work on the Guild goes way beyond what we would have without it, IMO
There have high quality collaborative community created supplements since the dawn of the internet, at least.

darjr

I crit!
I don’t disagree with that. But the frequency quality in the material have all exploded thanks to 5e and the guild. I think denying that is just foolish.
Chris Lindsay is very proud of the work and results of the DMSGuild and I think he’s still actively involved with it at WotC. I think it is really valuable to them.

The D&D team do it just to piss you off. They're trying to break you of the mindset that WotC should absolutely, positively be the tippy-top cream-of-the-crop in Dungeons & Dragons design. ;)
Are they succeeding at this on their Persuasion check? "We're trying to convince you to Level Up." 😋
One interesting side effect of the existence of the DMsGuild is that a lot of things that would show up as free "netbooks" are now for profit books.
Yet another reason to like the brews on GM Binder. ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads