• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Many Many Questions About Shade Template in FRCS.

Super_Troll

First Post
"Control Light (Sp): Shades can decrease the levels of light within a 10' radius of themselves by a factor of 10%/level..."

Question...It is a Spell-Like ability and does not mention "as a Free Action", "At Will", or "Instantaneously." I can only assume this means it is a Standard Action to activate. A player is suggesting that he does this in the morning and controls light wherever he goes. Is this supposed to be the way it works? I'm thinking that this is fine unless there is a significant change in light levels like walking outside on a bright day. If he does that then he'd have to take a Standard Action to re-adjust the light.

Shadesight (Sp): A Shade has 120' darkvision. It can see normally through any darkness effects, but not through fog, invisibility, obscurement, and so forth."

Question...I'm assuming by "darkness effects" they are referring to Darkness and Deeper Darkness type effect?

"Shadow Stride (Sp) and Shadow Travel (Sp)"

Question...Both of these abilities refer to "shadowy area" or "shadowy local." What constitutes either? Is "shadowy" exchangable with "dark"? I.E. If the Shade is in complete darkness can he go pretty much go anywhere? If there is a shadow of a 2" tall rock can he "Stide" to it?

Pax

Banned
Banned
Super_Troll said:
"Control Light (Sp): Shades can decrease the levels of light within a 10' radius of themselves by a factor of 10%/level..."

Question...It is a Spell-Like ability and does not mention "as a Free Action", "At Will", or "Instantaneously." I can only assume this means it is a Standard Action to activate. A player is suggesting that he does this in the morning and controls light wherever he goes. Is this supposed to be the way it works? I'm thinking that this is fine unless there is a significant change in light levels like walking outside on a bright day. If he does that then he'd have to take a Standard Action to re-adjust the light.

The Shade sets a given percentage. Of he sets it at, say, -50% ... and goes somewhere bright enough, even 50% light might prove to not be "dark or shadowy" conditions. HEH.

Shadesight (Sp): A Shade has 120' darkvision. It can see normally through any darkness effects, but not through fog, invisibility, obscurement, and so forth."

Question...I'm assuming by "darkness effects" they are referring to Darkness and Deeper Darkness type effect?

Exactly.

"Shadow Stride (Sp) and Shadow Travel (Sp)"

Question...Both of these abilities refer to "shadowy area" or "shadowy local." What constitutes either? Is "shadowy" exchangable with "dark"? I.E. If the Shade is in complete darkness can he go pretty much go anywhere? If there is a shadow of a 2" tall rock can he "Stide" to it?

I would say, the shadow-filled area the shade steps TO, and the one s/he steps FROM, must each be large enough to completely contain his or her entire body, in the orientation the Shade is already in.

Also note: "torchlight" is defined as being sufficiently dimly-lit for most or all of a Shade's abilities to work. Get much brighter, they all shut off.

Kaji

First Post
I think the easy answer here is that whatever Kaji thinks the answer is is right. Or whatever is most advantageous:D

You should post about the Master of Shroud. Now that's a PrC out of control.:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads