• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Maps on D&DBeyond

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
No that sounds silly.

I think the 3d VTT has a perfectly fine audience of people that want to play D&D, and like cool visuals.
Cool visuals at what price to the DM. I tried out Talespire and it took me about 4 hours to just build an inn. Now I am sure with practise, I could get better but nothing in the experience convinced me that it was a worthwhile use of my time as a DM.

Cool visuals at what price to the DM. I tried out Talespire and it took me about 4 hours to just build an inn. Now I am sure with practise, I could get better but nothing in the experience convinced me that it was a worthwhile use of my time as a DM.
They state it's planned to be easy to work with, we don't know enough to assume how easy or hard it will be. Lots of prefabs are planned at the very least.

Dire Bare

Legend
As usual, it seems many of the posters here didn't watch the video!

The video makes it pretty clear that this Maps feature is a separate thing from the upcoming 3D VTT. And that WotC's aim is to give players as many ways to play D&D as possible . . .
  • At the table, pen-and-paper
  • At the table, with the mobile app
  • Using the 2D Maps feature here
  • Using the 3D VTT feature in the future
  • Using VTTs and other apps from other publishers
  • Theatre of the mind or minis or tokens or . . . .
It's the "wherever you are purchasing and playing D&D, and in whatever way, works for us" approach, and I think it makes a lot of sense.

My only frustration is with the slow roll out of features on D&D Beyond. I wish they'd hire more folks and make this a higher priority. There are so many things the site could do, that they have on the to-do list, and haven't implemented yet after years . . . .

Oofta

Legend
Sure. Always. But it didn’t have to be a released product for that.
There are always bugs when you release software. Better to have it with a free product with low expectations than a fancy VTT. Or not. Maybe it's just a teaser - get people used to the integration and hope they upgrade to the VTT or any number of other explanations.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm not surprised. Many of the adventures and maps that you can purchase on the Roll20 Marketplace are already sized and scaled, rigged for lighting, etc. (And the newer ones have interactive doors, windows, and configured tokens.) You just drop them into an existing game and you're off to the races. I figured it was only a matter of time until D&D Beyond (and other platforms) began to offer the same stuff.

More goodies for more gamers!

darjr

I crit!
There are always bugs when you release software. Better to have it with a free product with low expectations than a fancy VTT. Or not. Maybe it's just a teaser - get people used to the integration and hope they upgrade to the VTT or any number of other explanations.
I write concept software. It doesn’t need to have that product cycle nor the effort or manpower. Sure your mileage may vary and this for sure is also concept, absolutely a part of this, it is a product.

Remove ads