Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

MeepoDM

First Post
How are you guys handling Full Attacks for monsters? I've noticed that all of the monsters in the m20 documents have been shortened to single attacks (the gargoyle for example only attacks with 1 claw) only, but I'd really like to bring in multiple attacks again for the monsters when they aren't moving around a bunch. Individual DM's call?

Bretbo

First Post
MeepoDM said:
Individual DM's call?

Thats how I'd handle it. If someone wants to have a "hard rule", maybe a monster has number of attacks equivalent to their number of hit dice, up to the number of attacks listed. So a 6d10 hit die creature with stomp and tail whip would get two attacks (6 for hit die up to the number of different attacks it has, 2).

Not a great solution, but it should work.

greywulf

First Post
I just give 'em one hit. Blam. Move on. Next round. Fast, one second stuff. Keeps the adrenalin going and the players on their feet. Or swinging on the ropes. Wherever.

Simple :)

WSmith

First Post
MeepoDM said:
How are you guys handling Full Attacks for monsters? I've noticed that all of the monsters in the m20 documents have been shortened to single attacks (the gargoyle for example only attacks with 1 claw) only, but I'd really like to bring in multiple attacks again for the monsters when they aren't moving around a bunch. Individual DM's call?

GM's fiat and logic based on the monster design. Give the gargoyle a claw/claw/bite routine. Monsters with weapons only get one attack unless exception to the rule is needed.

Darrell

First Post
Bretbo said:
If someone wants to have a "hard rule", maybe a monster has number of attacks equivalent to their number of hit dice, up to the number of attacks listed. So a 6d10 hit die creature with stomp and tail whip would get two attacks (6 for hit die up to the number of different attacks it has, 2).

WSmith said:
GM's fiat and logic based on the monster design. Give the gargoyle a claw/claw/bite routine. Monsters with weapons only get one attack unless exception to the rule is needed.

Both approaches would work quite nicely, and would even be easily made complimentary, and should probably make it into the Macropedia.

Personally, though, I'm in agreement with Greywulf. One attack, and move the hell on. The faster combat goes, the better I like it.

Regards,
Darrell

snikle

First Post
greywulf, just discovered your little game and I want to say that I really like it, appreciate the amount of work you have put into it.
I have been a fan on james' simple20 rules for a while now, tried to get a game going numerous times (hard to convince those d20 3.5 geeks to try anything else). I think I am going to give this one a shot and see if I can get a few one shots going using m20 in an online game using MapTool. I really like the magic system he has come up with for simple20, and might try implementing it into m20.

Anyway, good game, thanks for sharing!

greywulf

First Post
Snikle, thanks for the kind words. That's currency around here.

I'm running Chicken Royale tonight, using the Microlite20 Modern rules for the first time to generate secret agents. The characters are going to be designated code numbers a'la 007 based upon their stat bonuses. So, a STR12, DEX14 MIND 10 hero would be Agent 120. Geddit? I'm going to write their numbers onto badges which the players wear. That way, I can see their stat bonuses all the time during the game.

In effect, the player becomes the character sheet. I tried to get around the metaphysical abstraction of that, but my head hurt so I stopped.

And yes, that would mean that James Bond would be STR10, DEX10, MIND24. I'm telling them that certain Agent numbers are reserved from a legacy system and that's one of them. So now they know.

I'll write about the game tomorrow.

EditorBFG

Explorer
Darrell said:
Personally, though, I'm in agreement with Greywulf. One attack, and move the hell on. The faster combat goes, the better I like it.
You know, you could do what one of the video games did for monks (NWN? I don't recall) and just give everyone who would normally get multiple attacks the equivalent of Cleave or Great Cleave. No need to track what different attack bonuses are, as long as they are dropping targets they keep rolling. Deadly but simple and efficient.

snikle

First Post
I agree with Greywulf, I like the simple 1 attack and move on, supplement the fighter with the bonuses every 5 levels so he can deal some damage without slowing the game down.

Why does everyone want to up a darned feat into the game? ;)

edit:
dang, forgot to mention I am setting up a PbP game over at FUM using this, got two sign-ups already.

Remove ads