Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

greywulf

First Post
greywulf said:
I've uploaded your equipment list to http://home.greywulf.net/m20 and I'll put the character sheet too if you can make the change so Hit Points = STR stat + 1d6/Level. Blame me for that change :)

I'm quoting myself now. Is this wrong, or just a sign of insanity? :)

I've had an email from one of my players who's suggested an alternative to Hit Points.

How about Hit Points = STR stat + half their the Level number, rounded down.

So at level one, you get +0 HP. Al level 2, you get +1. Third, another +1, Fourth +2 etc.

Interesting idea. It scales well, and makes lower levels fragile (as they should be) and higher level dudes total tanks (ditto). By 20th level, it put Hit Points on a par with their D&D counterparts too, which is nice.

Thoughts?

EDITED: +level number was waaaaaay to high. Hald their level number is better.

It works out like this, asuming STR 12 in M20 and CON 12 in D&D with a d6 Hit Die.

M20 (STR 12) D&D (CON 12)
1 12 9
2 13 11
3 14 18
4 16 21
5 18 27
6 21 31
7 24 36
8 28 41
9 32 47
10 37 52
11 42 59
12 48 66
13 54 68
14 61 70
15 68 76
16 76 79
17 84 86
18 93 92
19 102 96
20 112 103

Hmmmmm. Fiddly. Maybe just STR Stat + d6/level is easier after all. :)

Last edited:

Darrell

First Post
Hello--

I'll work on adding durations to the spell list this evening. Thing is, I'd meant to go in and add them before I posted, but it slipped my mind. I guess I was too anxious to see what you all thought about 'em. :)

As far as hit points go, I like the +1d6/level better than that scalable thing, so that's what I'm doing to the character sheet. :] Speaking of which, see below for the revised version.

Regards,
Darrell

Attachments

• Microlite20 Character Sheet.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
I could include GM stuff (rules for falling damage, travel distance, poison and a random dungeon generator, maybe) too.

Hmmmmmm.....

A Microlite20 'DM's Guide' kinda thing might not be a bad idea. You could yank monsters from the regular rule page, and put 'em on the back of a GM's page. Then you'd have a one-pager for players, and another for the GM.

Regards,
Darrell

Nadaka

First Post
MeepoDM said:
Won't this radically change the built in balance of spellcasters using HP's to power their spells?

not if you increase the hp it takes to cast higher level spells. But then again, that adds complexity to a simple rule system.

MeepoDM

First Post
Yes, I agree a change would have to be made with the new HP system installed.

Lets take a 5th level Wizard with an average STR of 12 and 18 HP's rolled for a total of 30 total HP's. Even using the conservative assumption of only using (just over) half of your HP's to power your spells, that is still 4 Fireballs/Lightning Bolts per day. A huge increase in spell ability compared to D&D, especially when you don't have to memorize spells! And it gets even uglier as you crawl upwards.

Ideas?

greywulf

First Post
Nadaka said:
not if you increase the hp it takes to cast higher level spells. But then again, that adds complexity to a simple rule system.

True. I'll have to think more about that. The balance previously was just about right. Adding in more Hit Points turns spell-casters into taknukes! I'll leave is as STP+1d6/level for now though.

Talking of which, another version is ready for download with all the rules on a single page (generation, skills, hazards, magic and advancement) and just one other page for Monsters. That's the whole system (less spells) on two sides of A4. There was some blank space too, so I put some guff in about name, description, height and age for now until someone can think of something better to replace it :)

I've included Darrell's excellent equipment list, character sheet and spell list on http://home.greywulf.net/m20 too. I'll update the Spell List pdf when Darrell's created the new one.

Meantime, if anyone has a suggestion for Spell Point costs, I'm all ears.

We could go for odd number costs, maybe. That shouldn't be too hard to remember. It's double level and add one.

0 = 1
1 = 3
2 = 5
3 = 7
4 = 9
5 = 11
6 = 13
7 = 15
8 = 17
9 = 19

That means Meepo's 5th level Mage with 30HP above could loose off just 2 Fireballs/day before he's close to half Hit Points. Better.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....again.

Last edited:

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
I've included Darrell's excellent equipment list, character sheet and spell list on http://home.greywulf.net/m20 too. I'll update the Spell List pdf when Darrell's created the new one.

...and here it is.

I had to take out a few arcane spells to get it all to fit on one page after I added the durations. (Any spell without a listed duration, by the way, is "instantaneous.") I took out one spell from each level, making it 6 spells per spell level, just like the divine spells. I also removed wish and miracle, since I started thinking they were a bit over-powered.

Well, see what you think about 'em now.

Regards,
Darrell

Attachments

• Microlite20 Spell List.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 153

Darrell

First Post
Well....

I got kind of bored last night, and sat down and made an expanded Monster List.

I added in more Animals (including stat entries for all the animals available for purchase in the Equipment List pdf, and putting in entries for bears, snakes, and other hazards), Dinosaurs, Dire Animals, Dragons, and Insects (which I re-labeled 'Vermin,' a la the SRD), along with a few more of my favorite critters. I also modified the listing for the Nymph (losing the 'blinding beauty' ability), and used the Vampire Spawn SRD entry as the base for the Vampire, because I think the SRD vampire is too strong. It's two pages, pretty much like all of my other pdfs have been.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Darrell

Attachments

• Microlite20 Monster List.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 220

Remove ads