Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 3, Baden's Bluff

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: Everyone except Krug mentioned they were looking for an escape route. Therefore, I will assume Starhl is guarding the rear in the retreat. Online die rollers are not that fun. I am going to have to keep a few dies in my desk at work.:)

Aislinn gives a small cry as she is whisked off her feet by Herger. The attacking Fell leaps onto Herger's back, its yellowed teeth tearing into Herger's flesh. Almost immediately the tearing stops, as the Fell goes limp and slides from Herger's back with a sickening splat onto the alley's boards. Herger glances back briefly as he ducks into the ruined building to see Jodya standing over the downed Fell, noisome grume dripping from her clenched fist. Go! Starhl and I will cover your retreat! Jodya turns to face the oncoming Fell. Behind her, Fallax scrambles after Herger into the dark building.
OOC: Herger takes 6 points of damage.

Kaela's voice calls forth Aryth's magic subtly, its manifestation rising from the channel in wisps of fog. Quickly the alley is dowsed in a white cloud, curses and cries coming from unknown combatants. Despite the windy night, the fog holds its form in the narrow alleyway, but it wil not be long before the night's wind tears it to shreds, leaving the Heroes exposed. Taking a step back in the general direction of the ruined building, a slouched form materializes out of the fog in front of Kaela. With a hungry moan, it latches onto Kaela, its head planted squarely in her belly as it begins to gnaw its way to her vitals.
OOC: Kaela takes 5 points of damage.

Valurel's claws makes short work of the Fell he had grappled, its head lolling at an odd angle as it slips to the alley floor. Taking a step back, Valurel places his hand against the ruined building. Before he can duck into the opening, another Fell rakes at him with its soiled nails, blood running freely down the Ghost's chest and shoulder.
OOC: Valurel takes 5 points of damage.

Lodric's first blow staggers the Fell, the second crushes its chest. Its spirit released from its foul prison, the Fell staggers back into the fog and a loud splash marks its passing. Sidling back against the ruined building, Lodric is chased by another Fell, a young child with long, ragged wisps of brown hair. Help me father! Help me! So cold! The Fell lunges at Lodric, encircling her arms around him. But Lodric twists free, his eyes wide with horror.

Standing next to Jodya, her form barely visible in the nighted fog, Starhl swings his sword in anticipation. Its blade smashes through brittle ribs as it drops the first Fell, the undead's white eyes wide in surprise. Wrenching the sword out of the carcass, its momentum carries it into another of the hungry undead, crushing skull and popping eyes. Many thanks, Northman!, Jodya's voice rings in the air. Next to Starhl, the Wolf waits for the next wave of Fell, but stays well away from Jodya. In the darkness, mutable forms move at the edge of Starhl's vision and the water continues to splash. More Fell are coming.
OOC: Starhl took out the second Fell, the one attacking Jodya, with Cleave. Thanks for reminding me of that feat.

Blast this fog! Where did it come from?

Bah! I hear steel! Someone with weapons! Good, I was itchn' for a fight tonight!

Wait! There's Fell in there. Let 'em tear 'em up! Then we can swat those bloated carcasses! I like it when they pop!

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Starhl rushes to aid Lodric or Kaela, whichever is closer, striking at the Fell. "OVER HERE!" the barbarian yells.

Bjorn's Faith: +10, 2d6+7/19-20; using Cleave if possible.

Bobitron

Explorer
"Starhl!" Kaela calls out, groaning with pain. Raising her hand, she tries to beat the foul creature off. Her other hand comes up with a sharp but plain dagger that she drives down into the creature's head.

ooc: Dagger (+2 1d4 damage)

maddmic

Explorer
Sensing the urgency and knowing that the numbers are beginning to overwhelm Stahrl and the others, Herger sets Aislin down in the building. "Stay with me young one. Keep an eye out for any other of these creatures Fallax."

With that he looks for any rubble from the ruined building.

OOC:
Herger is looking for something to throw. Something resembling a boulder. He is wanting to throw it at any fell aproaching the heroes as they retreat. Not necessarily at ones which are engaged as he would probably hit one of the heroes. :) If there is nothing around, then he will pull his axe and wait for his friends.

Boulder +4 (1d10 + 4, x2) 30’ (+2 BAB, +2 Dx)

We really should just make a backpack for Aislin. a-la C3-P0 in Empire. Herger could run w/ her or fight with her. :)

Hrothgar

First Post
Setting Aislinn down in the rubble, Herger remerges from the building, a heavy slab of stone and mortar couched between his shoulder, chin, and hand. In the fog and darkness, it is almost impossible to distinguish the twisting figures locked in battle as friend or foe. Waiting patiently, he spies both the Ghost and Lodric the Stranger materialize out of the fog near the entrance to the dilapitated building. With a heave the stone block flies through the air catching the Fell pursuing the Ghost in the chest. The Fell careens over, grated by the momentum of the stone block on the alley boards into a slippery, wet mess.
OOC: OK, that was pretty cool, maddmic.

In the darkness, Valurel pulls himself up along the building, the dark opening of the building leading into rubble and broken timbers. Beside him stands the Giant and five feet from the entrance the Stranger, a grotesque mockery of a small child trying to sink her teeth into his thigh. As his claws rake through the Fell's flesh, the Fell turns its attention to her new attacker. Father! it weeps. Don't hurt me, father! I haven't been bad, Father! I am just so cold! Her teeth sink into Valurel's side, tearing flesh. Quickly Lodric brings his fist down on the Fell's head, and the child drops to the floorboards crying no more.
OOC: I made up actions for Valurel and Lodric since they have not posted. One of Lodric's claws wound the Fell, Lodric finished it. Valurel takes 3 points of damage.

Panicking in the darkness, Kaela's blade glances off the rubbery flesh covering the Fell's skull. Ripping and tearing at her stomach, Kaela feels her life blood run down her legs. Hearing Kaela's cries for help, Starhl follows her voice through the fog. With a mighty swing, Starhl severs the spine of the Fell, the limp carcass sprawling in the alley. Swinging madly again, his sword smashes into another Fell, but this larger one does not stop. Its fist smashes into Starhl's skull drawing blood. Staggered, Starhl watches as the Wolf launches into the Fell's side. The Fell does not seem to slow, as its claws stretch for Starhl's throat.
(OOC: Kaela's attack missed with the dagger and she takes 6 points of damage. Starhl killed the Fell attacking Kaela but was beset by another Fell. Starhl takes 6 points of damage. Starhl wounded the Fell as did the Wolf, but it seems more resilient than the other Fell)

In the fog, the Heroes can hear Jodya battling, her fists squelching against the bloated bodies of the Fell. To the west, the fog begins to clear in the wind and lights from the street seep into the alley. Hulking shadows begin to move into the alley, moving slowly to avoid any hidden dangers. Drop yer' weapons! Else we'll make ya' embrace those hungry critters'. Ha! And if ya' don't understand me, good. My vardatch is thirsty!

OOC: Lodric, Valurel, and Herger can make it into the ruined building next round as there does not seem to be any Fell nearby. Starhl and Kaela can make it to the building with the Fell following. The six or so orcs are approximately 40 feet away from the Heroes and given their pace in the fog, they will be to the Heroes in two rounds. The Heroes are unsure if they are as visible in the fog as the orcs moving in from the street.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Strahl grabs Kaela and starts dragging her back to the building. "Quick! We must retreat!' he says. He swings his blade at the Fell while shoving Kaela back.

If attacking, Bjorn's Faith: +10, 2d6+7/19-20

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric speaks quitely to Herger and Valurel, I'm going to try and help Jodya. You two cannot chance being seen by the orcs, you should head into the building with Aislinn and stay out of sight.

Lodric moves towards the sounds of where Jodya is fighting to try and aid her own retreat. If engaged by fell he uses his unarmed strikes.

Bobitron

Explorer
Silent tears streaming down her face, Kaela struggles to back away from the creature intent on her destruction. Looking to Starhl's angry face, she whispers "I can't take any more!" She lets him lead her away from the fray, calling upon the fog to thicken again.

ooc: Retreat toward the building. Hopefully Starhl can cover her while she runs. I don't mind a Fell following, I have confidence the others will be able to deal. Cast Fog again to continue the coverage.

Valurel's face is twisted into a feral snarl. Upon hearing Lodric's words, he growls in frustration but does as Lodric suggests and ducks into the building. He moves to Aislinn's side and stands over her protectively. If anything gets past his companions into the building, he places himself between it and Aislinn and readies himself for more battle.

Hrothgar

First Post
Valurel melts into the building's shadows, crouching near Aislinn. The girl sits on her knees, her ears straining to discern the events taking place around her. Gripping the Ghost's forearm, she whispers, Valurel, what is happening? Are the others all right? I thought I heard orcs! Next to her, Fallax hisses, Erunsil, let us flee! The others can catch up to us! We are fools to leave Aislinn so close to danger! Outside, Herger stands in front of the building's sagging doorway, peering into the fog looking for his companions. The fog seems to thicken as he hears Kaela speak the strange words once again. Shivering despite the warmth in the night air, Herger's eyes spot the orcs, now only tens of feet away, but their forms fade with the thickening of the fog.
(OOC: maddmic has not replied, so I assumed Herger would stand guard near the entrance and seek to make sure everyone made it inside safely.)

Taking a step back, Kaela calls on the magic of Aryth once again, its fluid form coalescing into wisps of thick fog. In front of her, Starhl and the Wolf stand between the bloated Fell, its wounds leaking diseased water. With a hiss its fist whistles through the air, but only glances off Starhl's upraised arm. With the Wolf tearing its rotten, flabby thigh, Starhl swings madly, seeking to end the battle quickly. With a sick "chunk", the blade cleaves through its neck, its head dangling awkwardly. Still the Fell comes forward, teeth snapping in anticipation for flesh, the very essence of Shadow seeming to drive it on.
(OOC: Since Bobitron and Krug both declared actions, I had Kaela and Starhl take a five foot step back and cast a spell and attack, respectively. Both are now only feet from the entrance, but the one Fell is still attacking.)

Lodric melts into the fog to find Jodya, the woman seeking out the Fell, her fists crushing a skull, the carcass dropping to the floorboards. Hissing with hunger, several Fell descend on Lodric, the undead seemingly taking no notice in Jodya. Erenlander! Flee! I will hold the point! The orcs are coming!, she hisses. Lodric has little time to respond, his fists smashing into a Fell, the undead corpse of an old man. The brittle bones snap under his powerful fists and the creature collapses and slips into the channel with a splash. Another Fell lunges at Lodric, its arms encircling his legs, blackened teeth chewing into flesh.
OOC: Lodric takes 7 points of damage. Of the two that attacked him, he has killed one Fell.

Blast this fog! Its unnatural!

I saw several and one was a real tall fellow! Northman! Ha! I will relish stomping his head in the dirt!

Watch yer' footin' boys! You'll be Fell food if ya' fall in that channel!

OOC: Because Kaela cast fog cloud once again and the fog thickened, I will rule the orcs hesitate, mainly because of their fear of water and that they can't see in the fogs. The orcs will be to the Heroes in two rounds.

Last edited:

Remove ads