MiPS Lost Mine [IC]

mips42

Adventurer
Casatagyr and Brlo:
The trek down the great west road and along the Tribaor Trail has been long and muddy but, thankfully, you ran into no issues with goblins or other monsters, although you did see signs of them along the trail.
Arrival at Phandalin was uneventful, the few people who see you seem mostly uninterested after a moment or two.
Across the way a few rowdy you seem to playing a game of 'it', laughing and squealing loudly.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Castagyr, Dragonborn Paladin

[section]
[sblock=Mini-stats]Castagyr
Init +1, Speed 20
AC 18; HP 11; Current: 11
Conditions in effect: Fire resistance
Dragon Breath: 1/1 avail
Divine Sense: 3/3 avail
Healing Hands: 5/5 points avail
Weapon in Hand: Lance
[/sblock]​
[/section]
The young dragonborn paladin had been trudging along with the dwarf for some time. While Castagyr had heard the rumors of ruffians and goblins terrorizing and kidnapping people along the Triboar trail, they had not seen the evidence.

Having safely arrived in Phandalin was a mixture of relief and disappointment. He commented to Brlo, “Since there were no goblins or bandits, I wonder if the rumors of this Spider or Black Spider character are false too.”

The children playing were evidence of peaceful times, despite the ruins of the old town around them. Of course it was soon clear that the crumbling stone walls where much older and not from any activity in the recent decades even.

With the townsfolk paying them little attention, Castagyr slowed to take in more of the log buildings to try discerning where best to start looking for information.

Axel

First Post
"Mebbe they are", Brlo replied non-comitally. "Most rumours out here be having a basis in fact though."

Not having much to add beyond the obvious, the dwarf fell in behind Castagyr. "Try the store. Folk from out'o'town be stopping by for supplies. Other'n the bars, there not be many other options for news."

mips42

Adventurer
what you can see from where you are: On your left is Barthens provisions, one of the largest buildings you've seen that is still intact. You can also tell a smithy on your right a bit further into town as well as what looks like a inn, a small shrine that has a few people around it, the open space where children are playing and, across the way from that, another large building.

Axel

First Post
Looking around, Brlo continued. "Best be tryin' Barthens over'ere, this time'o'day. Folks be headen' on out, rather'n settlin' in y'see."

perrinmiller

Adventurer

[section]
Init +1, Speed 20
[/sblock]​
[/section]
Castagyr shrugged. Typically one looked to large congregations of people to look into rumors and such. Ale tended to loosen tongues as well.

He gestured to the inn farther into town, “That is were we would be most likely to hear about tales and rumors. But there are folk gathered at the shrine too. If there have been troubles and anyone were hurt, I am sure those folk there would know about it.”

The dragonborn paladin began walking towards the shrine where there were people present. As he approached he held up a palm in greeting. He held the lance in his other hand like a walking stick with the pointed end to the sky.

“Good day, gentlefolk. I wonder if you would spare tom time to talk for a few moments.”

mips42

Adventurer
The shrine, if you can call it that, seems to be little more than some field stones gathered from local ruins and appears to have been Dedicated to Tymora, goddess of luck.
The few folk gathered there seem to be mostly farmers and look at you with a bit of apprehension. One eyes you for a moment, then says 'a moment? Ye won't be learnin' much in that time but I guess I'll do my best. Whacha wantin?'

perrinmiller

Adventurer

[section]
Init +1, Speed 20
[/sblock]​
[/section]
Castagyr took note that the shrine was to the goddess of luck, a good deity. He was displaying his own holy symbol of Torm. He smiled at the rustic farmer's no nonsense approach. That was just fine by the dragonborn.

"Aye, real learning would take a mite longer. So perhaps I might need more than a mere moment of your time, eh."

"As you can see, I am warrior,"
he indicated his weapons and armor that was quite obvious.

"We had heard rumors of goblin and bandit activity as well as some nefarious villain known as the Spider or Black Spider. While trekking here, the journey was rather peaceful... not that I am complaining mind you."

"But I have come to help put a stop to the evilness of such foes that prey on the innocent and defenseless. Might you or your companions know of such things? Or mayhap you can point me in the direction of someone that might know of such rumors?"

mips42

Adventurer
At the mention of goblins and bandits, the rest of the folk that were standing at the shrine quickly leave, leaving only the man you've been talking to. He move up closer and drops his voice to a sharp whisper 'Now listen 'ere. There's some folk in this town what are feared of goblins and their ilk. But all of em, and I mean ALL of em, are feared of gettin caught up in some fool battle what can't be won.
'I can't speak o' goblins, though I'd not be surprised if they was about, but I can tell ye about what you might call bandits. There's a group of local toughs, call themselves Redbrands, cause they all wear some kind of red, been making things hard on everyone, shaking down local businesses and flouting the townmaster`s authority. I seem maybe a dozen of 'em at a time hanging out at Stone Giant Inn. I'd tell ye to leave em alone if I thought it'd do any good.
'If, on the other hand, you'd like to really help someone, ye might go see Sister Garaele. She went on some kind of trip and came back gimping on her leg. I dunno what happened, she don't like to talk about it, but she could definitely use help.'

Axel

First Post
Brlo sighed grumpily. "Ya canna be solvin' the whole world's problems Castagyr. Sometimes ya jus' gotta let folks fix things 'mselves. This lass sounds like she could be usin' a hand. T'local thoughs? F'get it. There be too many, 'n' not worth t'bother."

Last edited:

Remove ads