• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Damage Review

meleeguy

First Post
Hello All,

Do these damage progressions stack?

Medium size Monk Lvl. 8 does 1d10
Monk's belt - +5 levels does 2d6
Battlefists (large gauntlets) - 3d6
Improved Natural Attack (improved damage) - 4d6

Thank you.

I assume you're talking about a Warforged character?

The battlefist causes your character to be treated as one size larger, so that, at least, stacks with the Monk's Belt.

Additionally, a Warforged character without doubt meets the prereqs for Improved Natural attack, however:

SRD said:
IMPROVED NATURAL ATTACK [GENERAL]

Prerequisite: Natural weapon, base attack bonus +4.

Benefit: Choose one of the creature’s natural attack forms. The damage for this natural weapon increases by one step, as if the creature’s size had increased by one category: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.

A weapon or attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.

Depending on your reading of "improved natural attack forms," it may not be applicable to an unarmed strike (which is not, strictly speaking, a natural weapon).

However, if your DM okays it, then, yes, it would stack with the above.

noeuphoria

First Post
I thought I remembered reading that a monk's unarmed strike counts as both a natural and manufactured weapon, making it eligible for magic fang or magic weapon

noeuphoria said:
I thought I remembered reading that a monk's unarmed strike counts as both a natural and manufactured weapon, making it eligible for magic fang or magic weapon

Right. Specifically:

SRD said:
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

The question, then, would be whether or not you could talk your DM into allowing a feat which stipulates "Choose one of the creature’s natural attack forms," to apply to an unarmed strike.

Remove ads