• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk flying as an Eagle

sparxmith

First Post
I'm playing a druid/monk and want to know if I still get the Monk's speed bonus when I'm shapechanged into an eagle and flying. I was under the impression that I retain my monk abilities regardless of what form I'm in.

Thanx for the help,

Sparxmith

James McMurray

First Post
By the rules you would get it. Some DMs may want to apply a reality check tot hat and assume that you aren't trained in flying faster until you'e spent some amount of time as a bird practicing.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
babomb said:
The rules don't explicitly say. Were I the DM, I'd say it only applies to walking speed.

Actually the rules do explicitly say. Under the description for the barbarians fast movement, it says "a barbarians land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet". A monk has no such restriction, therefore his speed increase applies to any movement mode he has.

CyberSpyder

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
Actually the rules do explicitly say. Under the description for the barbarians fast movement, it says "a barbarians land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet". A monk has no such restriction, therefore his speed increase applies to any movement mode he has.
Though I agree with you, that's really more implicit. Explicitly saying it would be something like "a monk's speed in all forms of movement he possesses is faster than the norm by +whatever."

Darklone

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Monk. A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.
It says speed. Speed describes all forms of movement. Saviomagny is right that it applies to all available movement forms if it's not restricted.

pbd

First Post
I agree that it applies to all forms of movement for monk. If you look at the progression, with speed and AC bonus, you are basically building up to being hasted and that should work regardless of form.

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Darklone said:
It says speed. Speed describes all forms of movement. Saviomagny is right that it applies to all available movement forms if it's not restricted.

Hmm, that's debatable. By the letter of the rules, yes, it mightbe handled that way, or not, even money. "Interesting" and probably absurd things happen though, if you are of a race with dual speed move (like spirit folk in the FR setting - who have either a "Climb" Speed of half their normal mode, or "Swim" speed likewise.. ) - now is the secondary mode of movement faster by 10' too ?
To me, the monk speed increase (enhancement) would be limited to normal landspeed (which is bad enough with a wild shaping druid morphing into say, cheetah form ) analogous to "Longstrider" , which gives an enhancement bonus to speed, too, and explicitly limits it to landspeed.
I find the comparison to "Haste" problematic - the monks abilities are obviously tied to physical fitness and moving swiftly due to light loads . "Haste" on the other hand works under any circumstance, independent of physical fitness, load, fatigue, training or shape.

Last edited:

mmu1

First Post
uzagi_akimbo said:
Hmm, that's debatable. By the letter of the rules, yes, it mightbe handled that way, or not, even money. "Interesting" and probably absurd things happen though, if you are of a race with dual speed move (like spirit folk in the FR setting - who have either a "Climb" Speed of half their normal mode, or "Swim" speed likewise.. ) - now is the secondary mode of movement faster by 10' too ?
To me, the monk speed increase (enhancement) would be limited to normal landspeed (which is bad enough with a wild shaping druid morphing into say, cheetah form ) analogous to "Longstrider" , which gives an enhancement bonus to speed, too, and explicitly limits it to landspeed.
I find the comparison to "Haste" problematic - the monks abilities are obviously tied to physical fitness and moving swiftly due to light loads . "Haste" on the other hand works under any circumstance, independent of physical fitness, load, fatigue, training or shape.

What exactly is the problematic or unbalanced part, here?

Most of the time, all that extra speed is good for is a)Taking the long way around avoiding the occasional AOO and b)Getting separated from the party and the snot pounded out of you. I've yet to be in a game in which someone getting an extra 10' of speed while climbing, swimming or flying was an issue.

Darklone

uzagi_akimbo said:
It does not stack with haste, right? Both are enhancement bonuses.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads