• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk's AC bonus? Dodge? Deflection? Other?

NewJeffCT

First Post
what sort of bonus is it to AC - it's not clear from the PHB. I would think it's a Dodge bonus, but the monk's AC bonus also applies when the monk is denied his Dex bonus or when flat-footed, so that means it's not quite a dodge bonus, as you normally don't get a dodge bonus then

Thanks

Starbuck_II

First Post
what sort of bonus is it to AC - it's not clear from the PHB. I would think it's a Dodge bonus, but the monk's AC bonus also applies when the monk is denied his Dex bonus or when flat-footed, so that means it's not quite a dodge bonus, as you normally don't get a dodge bonus then

Thanks

It's its own type.

It applies to touch AC making similar to dodge AC, but not exactly one.

Corsair

First Post
It's its own type.

It applies to touch AC making similar to dodge AC, but not exactly one.

Minor correction: All AC counts for touch except armor, shield, and natural armor.

SRD said:
Touch Attacks: Some attacks disregard armor, including shields and natural armor. In these cases, the attacker makes a touch attack roll (either ranged or melee). When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. All other modifiers, such as your size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) apply normally.

Starbuck_II

First Post
That's correct. Personally, I think it should be an insight bonus, but officially it's unnamed.
But making it Insight would nerf the Monk's AC maximum since they would lose Insight bonus to AC (possibly to obtain through spells, class features, or magic items).
Example, Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone adds +1 Insight to AC.

Vegepygmy

First Post
But making it Insight would nerf the Monk's AC maximum since they would lose Insight bonus to AC (possibly to obtain through spells, class features, or magic items).
That's a feature, not a bug. ;)

Seriously, though...insight bonuses are rare enough that I don't really think it's a "nerf."

Sorry to use a revive spell on a long decomposed thread, but I have a question that's relevant here. A Saint (BoED, 185) gains an AC insight bonus equal to their Wisdom modifier that acts in the same capacity as a Monk's AC bonus.

Would this actually stack with a monk's AC bonus? If so, then dayum.

Remove ads