• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks and Polymorph

jlhorner1974

First Post
The "Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries" PrC in the Draconomicon grants a limited form of Shapechange at 10th level. Suppose I have a character with Monk levels taking that PrC -- a Monk 10/Initiate 10.

Shapechange states that I lose the creature subtype, (Su) abilities, and (Sp) abilities of the old form and gain the (Ex) and (Su) abilities of the new form.

So I keep all of the Monk (Ex) abilities, but lose the Monk (Su) abilities right?

So if, in dragon form (assume Huge size), I make a full attack, how many attacks do I get, and what damage do I use?

Do I have to choose between "Monk" attack pattern (4 unarmed at +14/+14/+9/+4) or "Dragon" attack pattern? (6 attacks: 1 bite, 2 claws, 2 wing slams, 1 tail slap). If I am attacking in a "Dragon" pattern, can I flurry on top of that? What damage do I use for each attack? Normal dragon damage? Unarmed damage? The better of the two?

Is there an official ruling on this?

mikebr99

Explorer
jlhorner1974 said:
So if, in dragon form (assume Huge size), I make a full attack, how many attacks do I get, and what damage do I use?

Do I have to choose between "Monk" attack pattern (4 unarmed at +14/+14/+9/+4) or "Dragon" attack pattern? (6 attacks: 1 bite, 2 claws, 2 wing slams, 1 tail slap). If I am attacking in a "Dragon" pattern, can I flurry on top of that? What damage do I use for each attack? Normal dragon damage? Unarmed damage? The better of the two?

Is there an official ruling on this?
Choose either Monk attacking (based on new size for damage) or normal attack from the new form.

YMMV

Mike

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Wisdom bonus to AC

Another Polymorphed (actually wildshaped) Monk question:

Does a monk retain the Wisdom bonus to AC if polymorphed into an animal form? It is not listed as Ex or Su (at least not in 3.0).

Thanks,

Brian.
<><

shilsen

Adventurer
dogoftheunderworld said:
Another Polymorphed (actually wildshaped) Monk question:

Does a monk retain the Wisdom bonus to AC if polymorphed into an animal form? It is not listed as Ex or Su (at least not in 3.0).

Thanks,

Brian.
<><
Yes. And it is Ex in 3.5.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
jlhorner1974 said:
I believe this is how it works. If you make an Unarmed Strike you must use the damage for an Unamred Strike (modifed for size of course). You may not use FoB if you attack with a weapon that is not an Uarmed Strike or a Monk Weapon and Natural weapons are neither. Also I believe tha Uarmed Strike counts as a Manufactured Weapon meaning that you can attack with all your normal Unarmed Strikes and all your Natural Weapons (as secondary attacks at -5). You may not use FoB while doing this. So you have three attack patterns to chose from

1) +14/+14/+9/+4 Unarmed Strikes with FoB
2) +14(bite)/+9(claw)/+9(claw)/+9(wing slam)/+9(wing slam)/+9(tail slap)
3) +14/+9/+4 Unarmed Strikes (no FoB) and +9(bite)/+9(claw)/+9(claw)/+9(wing slam)/+9(wing slam)/+9(tail slap)

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
rangerjohn said:
I'm not sure of the ruling, but just from what you said. The -5 penalty would apply to all the secondary attacks, not just the bite.
That is true but all the natural attacks other Bite already have the secondary attack penalty applied since they are secondary natural attacks. Thus the only the attack that changes from a primary to a secondary attack and thus the only attack to which the penalty is applied (at this step) is Bite.

Darklone

Ask why many Druids take one level monk. AC +7 in wildshape is nice and sometimes the monk attack routine is better than the natural weapons. Fear my flying kick Dire Rhinoceros charge-fu.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads