• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Attacks

Deadguy

First Post
Okay, I am about to ask what will seem a really obvious question. A manticore has the following attacks listed: 2 claws +9, bite +7.

(1) When it makes a Standard Attack action, how what attack(s) does it make?

(2) And when it makes a Full Attack action?

dcollins

Explorer
You may wish to consult MM p. 7, under "Natural Weapons", 3rd paragraph. There it specifies that like any other character, standard attack=1 attack, full attack=all attacks for monsters.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Deadguy said:
Okay, I am about to ask what will seem a really obvious question. A manticore has the following attacks listed: 2 claws +9, bite +7.

(1) When it makes a Standard Attack action, how what attack(s) does it make?
A standard action is always one attack at your highest bonus. So the Manticore could attack with either one claw or with its bite, at +9 melee. Since the claw is its primary natural weapon because it is listed first, it would usually use its claw. It also has the option of its 6 tail spikes as a standard action. This is an exception to the normal standard action rule, similar to, but not the same as, throwing 3 shuriken in one action.

(2) And when it makes a Full Attack action?
Two claws at +9 melee, one bite at +7 melee.

Deadguy

First Post
Hmmm... now where on earth did I get the idea that where the primary attack is bracketed together (like the manticore's claw attacks), that those attacks count as 'one' for the purposes of standard/full attack actions? I can recall vaguely making the shift to that position many months ago - I just can't recall what I would've read to prompt me!

Oh well, the PCs will be happy! :)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Deadguy said:
Hmmm... now where on earth did I get the idea that where the primary attack is bracketed together (like the manticore's claw attacks), that those attacks count as 'one' for the purposes of standard/full attack actions? I can recall vaguely making the shift to that position many months ago - I just can't recall what I would've read to prompt me!

Oh well, the PCs will be happy! :)
That would be one attack with both claws. It would be written like this: claws +9 melee (not 2 claws +9 melee). It would use both claws as one attack. There are not many creatures like this in the MM, but there are a few, especially some of the animals/birds.

Deadguy

First Post
That could be it, Dr. Zoom. I suspect I read a discussion os something similar either here, or on another board, and got the wrong end of the stick!

Oh, and thanks to everyone for getting this straightened out so quickly! :)

zoroaster100

First Post
attack bonus for non-primary weapon

I have been working on the assumption that monsters can use any of their weapons to make a single attack as a standard action even if that is not usually the primary natural weapon, but I have been concerned maybe I'm misinterpreting the rules. Is the primary/nonprimary natural weapon rule analogous to lef/right handed? A right handed character that attacks only with his left hand gets a penalty for attacking with the nonprimary hand unless the character has ambidexterity....

Remove ads