OD&D Morale Question

Andvari

Hero
The RC is unclear on whether you should roll once for all the creatures or once for each. The writing seems like it could indicate both.

I sometimes roll for groups and sometimes for individuals. In the case of the hobgoblin and goblins, I might roll once for the hobgoblin and once for all the goblins. If there are 4 trolls and the players kill 2, I'll probably roll morale for each of the 2 remaining trolls.

If there's one really large group of the same type, you can also make a roll for partial effect. For example, if you have 12 orcs, you make one roll. If the morale check succeeds, a third of the orcs break. If the morale check fails, two thirds of the orcs break.

You could also break the orcs into two subgroups and roll for each. Say one group is the archers on the side and the others are the ones in melee.

These methods seem to work well for me in terms of spending too much time rolling.

Andvari

Hero
Does the RC retain the language from B/X and BECM about a monster only needing to check a maximum of twice in a given combat? As I recall both of those editions specify that once a monster has passed morale twice, it's not going to run.
I'm not finding it anywhere looking through the RC morale rules.

Remove ads