• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E More Tales from the Yawning Portal?

werecorpse

Adventurer
I'm not saying it's going to happen but if it did what are a bunch of good pre 5e (Oe - Next) adventures that could be reasonably be compiled into a book of adventures to be produced next. They should be mostly dungeon crawls. Here are my suggestions.

1. Keep on the Borderlands. Level 1-2 This needs to be more than just the Caves of Chaos and include the keep and a bit of wilderness so could work for a new product slightly more ambitious than the first.
2. Slave Pits of the Undercity. Level 3-4
3. Secret of the Slavers Stockade level 5
4. Ghost Tower of Inverness level 6
5 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth 8
6. Hidden Temple of Tharizdun 9
7. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks 10
8. Shrine of the Kuo Toa 11
9 A Paladin in Hell 15+

I'm sure this was done before TotYP came out but now that we have had it and had a chance to digest it thoroughly, and with a new year approaching I thought it was worth revisiting. I acknowledge I am showing my age with this collection and would love to see a list including some 3e and 4e adventures that would fit well into this format. The ones I have put in are mostly 1e so really old ones that I think deserve a reprint because the new generation of players might enjoy seeing them plus a Paladin in Hell which I though was a great high level adventure we need more of.

What are your suggestions for a TotYP format?

A supplementary question is what other things should they look at reprinting as maybe seperate mini campaigns that wouldn't fit the TotYP format?
For me it would be
1. Night Below
2. Red Hand of Doom
3. Desert of Desolation series

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I'm not saying it's going to happen but if it did what are a bunch of good pre 5e (Oe - Next) adventures that could be reasonably be compiled into a book of adventures to be produced next. They should be mostly dungeon crawls. Here are my suggestions.

1. Keep on the Borderlands. Level 1-2 This needs to be more than just the Caves of Chaos and include the keep and a bit of wilderness so could work for a new product slightly more ambitious than the first.

Considering Goodman Games will be releasing a conversion of that (and much more) in in upcoming licensed product, I doubt we'll see that.

2. Slave Pits of the Undercity. Level 3-4
3. Secret of the Slavers Stockade level 5
4. Ghost Tower of Inverness level 6
5 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth 8
6. Hidden Temple of Tharizdun 9
7. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks 10
8. Shrine of the Kuo Toa 11
9 A Paladin in Hell 15+

There's some good picks there, but the likely scenario would be the inclusion of adventures from 3e-Next in addition to those from 1e & 2e.

pukunui

Legend
The Speaker in Dreams and The Standing Stone are decent ones from 3e. (They're the two that came after The Forge of Fury.)

A 4e adventure I'd like to see updated to 5e is Madness at Gardmore Abbey. No way it would fit in a TftYP format, though. It would need its own hardcover. (TBH I'd love to see the Nentir Vale as a whole get updated to 5e.)

werecorpse

Adventurer
I had forgotten about the Goodman Games proposed release. Thanks.

OT1: When is that coming out & are there any other proposed updated adventures other than B1 & B2? (The only stuff I found said they would be out Gencon 2017 so I'm guessing there has been an update)

OT2: I like that WOTC partners up with other producers to get more content out.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Maybe Murder in Baldur's Gate could be a good addition, but it may also require too many corrections beside the conversion work to make it interesting to players. Reavers of the Harkenwold from 4e or the Slaying Stone? I'd also like a conversion of the Red Hand of Doom as something like a follow up to Tyranny of Dragons.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I had forgotten about the Goodman Games proposed release. Thanks.

OT1: When is that coming out & are there any other proposed updated adventures other than B1 & B2? (The only stuff I found said they would be out Gencon 2017 so I'm guessing there has been an update)

It was pushed back to November.... But now we're in December, so who knows: :D

OT2: I like that WOTC partners up with other producers to get more content out.

Agreed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I had gicenn this some thought a while back, and came up with following 1E-centric lists (because I am not familiar enough with latter material) as spitball ideas:

First set:

Against the Cult of the Reptile God
Dwellers of the Forbidden City
Ghost Tower of Inverness
Expedition to the Barrier Peak
Descent into the Depths
Shrine if the Kuotua
City of the Drow
Queen of the Demonweb Pits

Second set:
T1-4: Hommett & ToEE
Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth
Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure

Alternatively, maybe something with Redhand of Doom, or the U series.

Pharoh books, Dragonlance or the Slavers I'd see getting the Curse of Strahd treatment.

Last edited:

Remove ads