More upcoming titles has been released at the WotC site

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land said:
products_fracc_955697200_lgpic.jpg

Elminster’s tower lies in ruins, and the town of Shadowdale has been conquered....
Music.To.My.Ears.

I mean, I love the FR and its long, complex, involved, colourful history and iconic NPCs and all that - but I have to say about time too. Enough Elminster already, any chance somebody else might do something important or make a difference in some way. Please.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
That is very odd that Mearls' only product this year is the Magic Item Compendium, maybe he's a manager now and doesn't write anymore. Maybe he's going to start his own company, maybe it's something else entirely.

mhensley said:
What I find most curious is that none of these titles has Mr. Mearls as an author. What is he working on I wonder? :uhoh:

Mike was hired as a developer, not a designer. Thus, while he may occasionally serve as an author on a book (and have his name on the cover), you're primarily going to find him appearing in the "development team" credits inside.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
There are signs

Zaukrie said:
That is very odd that Mearls' only product this year is the Magic Item Compendium, maybe he's a manager now and doesn't write anymore. Maybe he's going to start his own company, maybe it's something else entirely.

Its not odd. Its 4ed. Someone has to be working on it (Andy Collins is also not on a lot of products, but freelancers like our own vampiric mouse are).

Another sign, the lack of rules suplements. (The only big one in the last months of the year is of the cut and paste variety). But this has all been discussed before. And, already noted above, we should know more this weekend.

Edit: Of course you could believe what the expert above says...(but Mearls has been credited with stuff, like the Book of Nine Swords, and what I say still holds, someone has got to be working on it).

JoeGKushner

First Post
Rules Compendium
by Chris Sims

Tired of hauling all of your D&D rules supplements to the gaming table? Having trouble finding the rule you need? The Rules Compendium supplement takes all of the game's most important rules and presents them in a single comprehensive, easy-to-reference volume for players and Dungeon Masters. In addition to presenting the rules of the game, the Rules Compendium incorporates official errata as well as behind-the-scenes designer and developer commentary explaining how the rules system has evolved and why certain rules work the way they do.

Could this be any more vague?

'important rules'?

Like what? Feats? PrCs? Swift and Immediate Actions? New uses for skills?

Mercule

Adventurer
JoeGKushner said:
Could this be any more vague?

'important rules'?

Like what? Feats? PrCs? Swift and Immediate Actions? New uses for skills?

Things like the metamagic feat Energy Substitution: Lemon Merangue.

mhensley

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Mike was hired as a developer, not a designer. Thus, while he may occasionally serve as an author on a book (and have his name on the cover), you're primarily going to find him appearing in the "development team" credits inside.

What is the difference between a developer and a designer? In my world (web developer), a developer writes code and a designer is in charge of graphics.

mhensley said:
What is the difference between a developer and a designer? In my world (web developer), a developer writes code and a designer is in charge of graphics.

Well, this is a bit of an oversimplification, since the two duties overlap, but:

A designer at WotC is basically a writer. They're responsible for coming up with, and then putting into words, the book's conent. (I am, technically, a "freelance designer.") The lead designer is the guy who outlines the book, and to whom the other designers deliver their text for a first round of editing, development, and red-lining.

A developer is one of the people who then goes back over that text, scouring the mechanics with a fine-toothed comb, and making changes, corrections, and additions as necessary. In many cases, the development team might add or replace entire chunks of content, which would technically make them co-writers. This might be done to fill in holes in the word count, or to replace sections that are just not viable mechanically or thematically. (For instance, if I'm not mistaken, the dread necromancer class was added to Heroes of Horror by the development team; I don't think either James or C.A. created it, and I know I didn't.) If it helps, although the metaphor isn't 100% accurate, the developer is to the mechanics and game-play elements what an editor is to grammar and spelling. Often the lead designer does a first round of development before the actual development teams delves into the book in more detail.

Now, all that said, many times someone who's usually on the development team will serve as a designer--that is, writer--on a particular book. And sometimes someone who is normally a staff designer--say, such as James Wyatt--will instead join the development team for a particular book. So the lines aren't hard and fast, but that's the basic gist of it.

Last edited:

Remove ads